Chapter 20

***Conlan's POV***

"It will be fine. She's just right over there. If anything happens we'll be there." James tried to reason.

There was this restlessness that welled up inside the moment Zara was out of sight. My skin burned with the effort of Karr pushing for release.

'What is happening? Why are we reacting this way to this rogue?' I asked my wolf. All pretending that she didn't affect me as much as she affected Karr was gone. 'We know that she isn't our mate. So why?'

Only feral barks answered. Wind from the mountains breezed past giving me a momentary relief from Zara's heartbreaking sobs. I took the opportunity to try to center myself and to steadily breathe in and out. Hours had elapsed. Each minute of hearing her wails caused this. She was so totally broken, but somehow she still had a sense of strength. 'So beautiful.'

"Hey, Alpha is calling." Theo said, handing me my phone. The vibrations must have woken him up. His face had improved, but he still had a slight shine to his left eye and a minor cut to his cheek.

"Alpha Bryce." I greeted while trying not to hint towards my current turbulent mental state.

"Why have you been at the witch's house for so long?" He questioned. "Your GPS location hasn't moved in hours."

"A protection spell needs to be taken down before we can finish our mission."

"Beta." His voice was deadly low. "Are you trying to pull the wool over my eyes? Protection spells don't take that long. Even if it was performed by the strongest of witches you'd make short work of it." He paused. "You must have a pretty good excuse to lie to me." For the first time I felt what it was like to be on the receiving end of Alpha Bryce's bad side. "Tell me."

"Alpha. We are dealing with a new type of witch. One that I've never heard or seen before." Bryce didn't respond. "From the little information we've gathered about these 'white' witches is that their magic is fundamentally different from that of the others we know of."

"How are you going to remove the protection spell then? Now that our training is no longer valid to remove it." Impatience leaked from his tone, but at least he wasn't giving of a threatening vibe through my phone.

"The rogue and her aunt are helping."

"What? Are you saying that the rogue and her aunt are privy to a type of witchcraft that we don't even know about?" He was fuming. "What kind of wolves are they? Are they in bed with the Rogue King that employees witches? Is this rogue even telling the truth? Maybe she's also working for the witches and the usurper."

Karr was so riled up and ready to fight a man we looked up to like a father figure. I threw the phone at James. Rage filled every crevice. My clothes were already off by the time James managed to answer the phone. On the other end I was able to hear how utterly displeased my Alpha was with me easily with my heightened werewolf hearing. Every word against Zara was fueling my fury.

"Go after him!" I could hear James order Theo.

***

Darkness slowly ate away at the forest. In Karr's gigantic wolf form we ran and ran with my shadow, Theo, on my heels. Every now and then Ash would let out a whine. Eventually I slowed down enough for him to pad beside me. Ash was silent after that. No matter how far we ran or what obstacles we encountered, Zara was still there. She haunted our mind.

"It's time to go back." He said without any emotion.

His demeanor was one of the reasons why I wanted him on my team in the first place. Theo was still young, but he had tremendous potential as a witch hunter on my team. The kid knew when to be serious and when to be a supportive member. He didn't seek fame or fortune, but rather to be a part of something greater than himself. In many ways he was a better man than me. I wanted to join The Sacred Moon Pack with only one goal in mind; to destroy all witches. It was hate and revenge that drove me, and with Theo it was just different. His difference was also what drew me to him. I needed him and James to keep me level. In the field I was their Alpha, James my Beta, and Theo my Gamma.