Chapter 29

***Conlan's POV***

Zara stilled completely. It was like she was afraid to breathe. Her face tilted up higher and higher as Alpha Bryce drew closer. A sort of awed expression washed over her beautiful face as her eyes gleamed and her lips parted to let the little oxygen she dared in to breathe in her quiet small breathes. Bryce's anger that rolled off in torrents didn't seem to dissuade her gawking in the slightest. Movement from the corner of my eye flashed like grim shadows. Both James and the Gamma flanked my sides and stepped forward a tad to establish a protective zone around me but namely Zara.

"What's the meaning of this?" Alpha Bryce spat. He glared from Zara to James and then finally Rolland. His nostrils flared as he took in the young Gamma's scent. "You're from the Veiled Moon Pack." Genuine surprise was raised in his voice.

"Yes, Alpha. Some pack members and I came to accompany our Alpha Luna." Rolland stated in quiet professionalism. He glanced at Zara. Sizing her up to make sure she's unharmed.

Bryce's throat gulped back as he looked suddenly parched. His anticipating eyes searched beyond the Gamma and scanned the strangers that stood behind him. "How - Where is," he paused. Clearly he was becoming overwhelmed and for some reason, whether it be exhaustion or the fact that I have no words for this sort of situation, I couldn't do anything. I just wanted to spare him the hurt, and I didn't want him to be seen when he finds out the truth of what happened to his mate after he left her. 'Why did I think telling him in person would be better than over a phone call?'

"Alpha. Bryce." He slowly drew his eager eyes to look at me. "Can we go to your office? I need to discuss the mission with you. Among other things."

His brows raised as he gazed at me pointedly. Zara slid out of my arms and took a shaky step toward my Alpha. Bryce snarled at her with his wolf raising to the surface. It's clear that he's moved from anger to anticipation and now to irritation.

In the distance, along the tree line there was a royal vehicle and the patrol convoys barreling to the middle of pack land. The place where witches and rogues are imprisoned for questioning and execution. Hazel's screams were penetrating the tense silence. Frightful death curdling cries for help seemed distant but presently heavy. Then my heart sank further when the white Land Rover changed direction along with one of the patrol Jeeps. Bryce must have mindlinked them to stop for Zara too. Small rocks rolled under the beefed up all terrain tires thundering over in a storm. The vehicles stopped suddenly and a moment later a pissed off looking officer walked up to Alpha Bryce and bowed down on bended knee.

"Alpha Bryce." He gritted.

"Is that tone directed at me, Lieutenant?" Bryce asked irritably. "I have an unannounced visiting pack, a witch, and a filthy touched rouge situation to deal with. I'm not sure I have enough patience for all the disrespect I've been given lately from my own people let alone people I command during war."

Pain from his speech directed at me in part increased when I could see Zara flinch as she was visibly taken aback by his words for her. Her hand came up to cover the area of her unsightly mark. Zara's shoulders slump down until she becomes the smallest person in the world. I wanted so badly to comfort her. Again a feeling of resentment formed for the man that I look up to as a role model and father - A man I found to be without reproach.

"Of course not." He stood up. "I'm here to aid The Sacred Moon Pack with the mission of the forced mark Alpha female."

Alpha Bryce seemed to relax a little. "There has been a change of plan. The mission asset is now under imprisonment due the new intel of her being a beast. Rogues are not permitted at The Royal Palace and so I'll take it to our holding facility along with that witch."