Chapter 14

***Conlan's POV***

Conlan,

Don't trust anyone but Zara and those you would trust

your life with. Protect her like you said you would and

for the more than one reason why you should. She

needs you.

-Willow

P.S. And tell that old man, Freddy, big boys don't cry.

I looked up at Freddy- Frederick. He had a tissue under his nose trying to stop his nose from running. Little effect it had as he trumpeted into the thin material. A small smile threatened to tug the corners of my mouth. She was a funny witch.

"Well? What did it say?" James asked. Him and the doctor looked like they were on the edge of their seats. This was new for me. Things that defied logic often made James uncomfortable, like witchcraft, but for some reason James didn't seem repulsed. 'More like he was intrigued.'

I waited for the doctor to wipe his leaking faucets. "She said to tell you that big boys don't cry." Frederick responded with a warm watery smile. "And not to trust anyone but Zara and those I'd trust with my life." My gaze drifted over to Zara. Her quiet figure gave me a sense of peace as the room filled with a thoughtful silence. There was a sudden urge that twitched inside of me to lay down next to her and hold her close.

'We take her home now?' Karr asked. 'I protect her from witches, and Rogue King.' He growled out the last bit as an image of an over protective Karr cuddled with a sleeping Zara in my bed.

'Karr.' I gave him a warning tone. 'We need to inform Alpha Bryce first, and then we need to talk to her when she wakes.'

'Then can we-'

'Karr!' I started to scold.

"Alpha Patrick is back. He asked about Zara's condition. I told him that she will live." The doctor said breaking the silent tension in the room. "The Beta is also in the office." He swallowed back some saliva. "He's the one that did that to her." His hand waved over in Zara's direction.

A low growl slowly escaped up from deep in my chest.

"Alright. I'll go see them." I gave James a hard look. The witch just told me not to trust anyone when it came to Zara. But she did say that I could trust those that I would trust with my life. And that number is extremely small.

"Watch over her." I commanded seriously.

"You don't have to say anymore. I'll protect her with my life." James gave me a slight reassuring nod.

"Conlan." Frederick called on my way out of the bed bay. "If Willow said not to trust anyone. Believe her." He gave me a look that seemed to pierce my soul. His age and demeanor was that of a grandfather warning his grandchild. "Especially don't trust that Edith. She's had it in for Ingrid and now Zara since that snake came to this pack."

My eyebrow raised. Before I left the room I gave Zara one last look and frowned. On the way up the stairs I decided to increase Zara's protection by getting Theo.

"Theo." I called him in the mindlink. "Wake up."

Nothing.

"WAKE UP!" I yelled at him.

"Yes! Imma wake." Theo said, alarmed. "I'm sorry Al- Beta Conlan. That drive exhausted me."

My demeanor softened. "It's alright. I know you just got back on your two legs." I tried to reassure him. "I need you to come to the pack clinic."