fifteenth

My heart sinks, recoiling deep within my body at the sound of her voice. Who is she?!

Do I reveal myself or go back to my room and wait to be called to? I don't know if he will call to me, and I was never the type of girl to wait for someone else to make decisions for me, or at least I didn't use to be.  I straighten my body, standing tall, I run my hands through my hair to straighten it. I wipe away any stray tears at the corner of my eyes and take a single deep breath. 

I step around the corner to see the living room. I can see the figure of two people sitting across from each other on the long couches. They both turn to look at me. Taehyung smiles and stands up, and the woman, older than me, pretty, regards me with a curious face. Who is she?! I scream in my head, again.

I find the courage to walk directly towards them but the distance from the hall to the couch seems to have grown and it takes so long to cross the room as my mind races with questions. Taehyung holds out his hands to me and I walk directly up and take his hands, standing at arms distance away. I turn my head and look at the woman who has now stood up to greet me.

"Sunny, I would like you to meet Park Jia." She drops her head and nods to me. He seems to turn my body to face her.

"Hello Sunny, I'm very glad to meet you," she says in a soft friendly voice. I am still looking at every part of her well dressed form, searching for any clue as to who she is.

"Hello." I give her a quick bow and look back up at Taehyung confused.

"Jia will be your new dance instructor. She will be here every day to train you," he offers. I look back at her quickly, still confused.

"Oh," I say, betraying my ignorance. "Yes, thank you very much," I say to her, not sure how to behave in this awkward exchange. I turn to him. "When-" I begin to ask but he interrupts me.

"Let's show her the dance practice room together," he says, indicating toward the hallway. I nod obediently and turn to lead the way to the dance room.  I feel her follow behind me, with Taehyung trailing at the rear. I step up to the door, and push it open. I step into this room, where I felt so sad yesterday. I look around at the walls, wondering if my sobs and my tears are still somehow evident in the bare space. It looks exactly the same, closed off from all natural light. The mirrors on the walls and the wood floor both empty of character.

I turn to see her enter the space and look around. She steps up to the music system and looks over the options. Taehyung steps up to me, taking my hand again. He winks at me but says nothing. I stand in amazement waiting for my next instruction, unsure what else I can do.

"Should we start easy today? Just practice the dance you have been working on for your showcase and I'll watch to see where you are?" Jia asks in a friendly voice.

I nod, realizing I have no other option but to agree. Taehyung lets my hand drop and backs toward the door. "I'll let you work. Sunny, after your shower come find me and we can have lunch together." He steps out of the door closing it behind him.

I turn to look at Jia who has been watching us. She smiles warmly, "I take it Taehyung ssi didn't tell you he had hired me?" I shake my head 'no', not speaking. She can probably read the sadness in my face. I sigh but I try to smile up at her. "Well, let's start as friends. I am here to help you, that's all he wants, is to help you," she continues. "Are you ready to show me your dance?"

"I'm sorry, I was just surprised. I appreciate your help. Thank you. I am ready to work," I say walking up to start the music for my showcase dance. I gulp as I press the start button and get my head into the right space to perform.

Jia watches my performance, smiling and nodding, and it's encouraging. She occasionally says 'Good' out loud when I tackle a complex move and it's encouraging to have my hard effort noticed. I quickly fall into the routine of practice, blocking out other thoughts in my head.

She helps me to understand a new move, and works to reposition my hands so they flow better. I begin to feel more comfortable with her as the lesson carries on. She has a gentle energy, encouraging and supportive. I think she might be a good person to work with. I feel happier at the end of the lesson, even though it was not what I was expecting today. I do feel like I worked hard and tried my best.

I stop to drink some water from my bottle and I study her reflection as she puts some things into her dance bag. 

"Jia Unnie, can I ask you something?" I ask cautiously. She turns to me smiling, regarding me curiously.

"Yes, of course."

"Did Taehyung tell you why he asked you to be my teacher?"

"You mean, did he explain your situation to me?" she asks stepping closer to speak softly. I nod. "He didn't exactly say, but I understand now." She flashes a knowing smile as I look at her curiously.

"What did he say? When did he reach out to you?"

"He called me yesterday and said you were very talented, and you were being trained as an idol, but that he had taken you as far as he could." I am unsure what this means.

"Did he mean that I couldn't learn more from him?" I am so unsure what is the real truth.

"I think, now that I've met you both, that he doesn't want your relationship to interfere with your training... with your future." I look at her surprised. I didn't realize she understood quite so much about our situation.

"I- I am not sure from day to day what our relationship is Unnie." I shake my head.

"You're young. It will become more clear in time," she smiles at me reassuringly.  "Until then you should continue to train and focus on your showcase for BigHit. That is your job now. I think he understands that."

I smile at her, grateful to have someone else to talk to about all that's in my head. "Thank you. I really am happy to have your help."

She smiles. "I'll be here every day. I am happy to be here. I can tell that you are talented, and willing to work hard. It will be a pleasure," she says putting my mind at ease instantly.

 It will be a pleasure," she says putting my mind at ease instantly