Capitolo 30: Il suo nome è Diavolo

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

3rd person POV:

*Clink clink ! Clang ! Cling !*

Abbachio: Hey... You there... What are you doing down there ? Officer ?

Officer: Sorry for interrupting your meal... I'm in the middle of an investigation. I'm looking for fingerprints. There was a mugging across the street last night. The victim got hit with a bottle. And the bottle broke... But, not all of the pieces are on the sidewalk.

Officer: Most importantly, the part he was holding is gone. I thought the perp might have come here to throw something away in the recycling bin. I should be able to get fingerprints if I can find that part.

Abbachio: You're gonna look through all of that ?

Officer: That's my job...

Abbachio: Uhhuh... Well...

Officer: Yes ?

Abbachio: It's nothing... There's something I wanna ask. Just outta personal curiosity. What are you gonna do if you don't find anything ? You might not get any fingerprints. No, even if you do... The perp could hire a good lawyer and get declared not guilty. What drives you to keep toiling despite that ?

Officer: Hm... The result is not all I desire. When you desire only the result, you start trying to take shortcuts... And when you start taking shortcuts, you might lose sight of the truth. Eventually, you lose your motivation too. Like when you're writing a story, putting every possible spoiler in a bio and stopping it after two chapt-

*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*

Officer: Or when you're creating an OC that's already completely broken af without any character development-

*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*

Officer: I believe that the will to seek out the truth is what's important. As long as you have the will to seek it out, then even if the perp gets away this time, you'll reach your destination eventually, won't you ? That's because you're seeking it out. Don't you agree ?

Abbachio: ... I envy you... In the past, I wanted to be a policeman. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be a righteous policeman. There was a time when I had a will like yours... But I screwed it all up. I'm just that kinda guy... A worthless guy who can't see anything through to the end. I always screw it up halfway through...

Officer: Not at all, Abbachio... You've done a fine job. You have the same will. Just like you did when you first became an officer. That will has returned to your heart, Abbachio.