Chapter 11: karaoke

Wednesday came along and it was time for our first practice. Jack said that we could do it at his house since his parents wouldn't mind the noise. Kenny drove his older brother's van over so that he could bring and set up his drum kit in Jack's garage. We still had a while before Johnson and Jesse would show up because we asked Kenny to come earlier to help us get ready. "I'm Kenny by the way, just saying because we haven't formally met." Kenny said shaking my hand. We had finally gotten a chance to relax after putting everything together. "Well, I'm Delilah but you can call me Lilah." I said kindly. 

"Yeah Jack's girl right? Aye, you're one lucky guy Gilinsky." Kenny nodded towards Jack. "Yeah, I know." Jack smirked. I blushed. "So, what kind of music are we going to make?" Kenny asked. "We don't know yet. We're hoping we can just find a beat and work with it." Jack said. "That's cool. I just hope we can make something that will completely knock Skate out of existance." Kenny sat down on the old couch by the fridge. "Yay they're here." I said, noticing Jesse's car pull up. 

Jack pulled out his keyboard and Jesse grabbed her old bass from the trunk. Once everything was ready to go everyone started talking about things off topic. Like homework and parties they went to. I noticed that Kenny moved away from the group and sat at his drums. I wasn't really interested with what happened in math class yesterday so I watched to see what he would do. He held on to his drums stick for a minute and looked at each drum and symbol, deciding what his beat would be. Then it came to him. Suddenly my foot was tapping along to the sound and everyone stopped talking and listened in.

Johnson walked over to the microphone and began busting out a ryhme. Before we knew it, Jack strummed his guitar and Jesse played her bass. The song sounded so good, almost professional. I held onto the mic and waited. When Johnson ended his part, Jack joined in and began singing a chorus. I sang background a little bit and it sounded amazing. Johnson's keyboard made the affect of an 80's vibe which was totally awesome. When the song ended, we all looked at each other in amazement. "But wait, what if we forget the lyrics?" Johnson said.

I walked over to my phone. "That's why I'm recording this entire practice." We all laughed and cheered at the same time. "Was that you guys?" Jack's mom asked, coming into the room. "Yeah, what do you think?" Gilinsky asked. "What do I think? Holy crap that was crazy good! I do not believe for one second that this is your first time playing together because damn." We all chuckled. "Thanks mom." Mrs. Gilinsky started walking away singing the line,"Groo-oo-oo-oove!" from our song.

"Groove. That's the name of our official first song!" I said. Everyone agreed on the new title and then we began practicing it a few times more times. By the end of practice we were all sweaty and tired and sitting on the couch drinking juice boxes. "Yo, Johnson can you pass me another shot of juice?" Kenny chuckled. "Coming right up Mr. Holland." Johnson reached into the fridge and threw Kenny a juice box. "So, I think that that's a succesful first song for the Pre-hype." I said.

"What's that?" Jesse asked. "Oh yeah, forgot to mention, on Friday all the bands that are competing are putting on a little show 8:00 so that everyone, including the judges, can know what to excpet during the competition." Gilinsky sat up. "Yeah, so I think Groove would be a good first song. Really set the tone you know." Everyone nodded in agreement. "What about the song we're actually going to perform at the competition?" Johnson asked. 

"We'll figure that out next practice." I smiled at Gilinsky and he smiled back. "You guys can leave your equipment here if you'd like for next practice." Jack said as he stood up to throw away his juice box. "Ok thanks man." Kenny patted his back and headed to his car. "Yeah thanks Jack." Johnson said as well. Jesse smiled and soon everyone was gone except for Jack and I. "So, you excited?" I asked him. "Thrilled." He put his hands on my waste and pulled me into him. 

"I love you too by the way." I said. "I know you do. I mean, who doesn't love me?" My mouth dropped open and I slapped his arm playfully. "Wow ok." I chuckled. "I'm just playing, I love you too." He leaned in and his his soft lips moved in sinc with mine. My hands slowly grabbed his cheeks and his hands lowered to my butt. He's a guy, what are you gonna do? Suddenly I jumped up and wrapped myl egs around his torso. Our kiss was heating up pretty quickly but I didn't mind and apprently, neither did he.

He twirled us around in a goofy manner and I started laughing. We put our foreheads together and he bit his lip. "God, I love you." He whispered. "I love you too." I whispered back. "Hey, do you kids want any-....oh I'm sorry for interupting." Jack's mom said while barging into the garage. "Its fine mom, we were just talking." Jack said. I then looked down and I still had my legs around him and his hands were still on my butt. He realized it too and immediatly set me down. "U-huh...well I was going to ask if you guys wanted any hot pockets. Dinner special for tonight."

We laughed and headed to the kitchen. Jack's mom was the coolest lady ever. She knew all about music and insturments. She even told me that she's the one who taught Jack to sing. "No way. Wait, so how long did you give him lessons?" I asked while biting into my hot pocket. "Well he started when he was about six and didn't stop until his was about fifteen." I was impressed. "Do you sing?" She asked. "Oh uh, I mean a litt-" Jack cut me off. "This girl sings like an angel. Pure heavenly." I blushed at him. 

"Really? Sing something." She said. I shook my head politly. "Aw come on Lilah." Jack bumped my side for encouragment. "No, I can't." I really didn't feel comfortable just singing at the table infront of the guy I love and his mother while eating hot pockets. "I know what'll get her to sing." Jack rushed over to, what seemed like, a karaoke machine. "You both are crazy." I joked, standing up. I took the mic and searched for a song. Then I noticed a song that seemed perfect for the occasion. 

I began to sing, "I remember when, I remember I remember when I lost my mind." They started laughing and so did I. When the song ended they both applauded and then Jack took the mic. At around 10:00, I realized that I had to get home. I didn't want to leave though but stupid curfews say otherwise. "Thank you for letting me stay over for a little bit Mrs. Gilinsky." I said on my way out. "Oh please, just call me Katherine." She smiled.

"Well it was nice meeting you Katherine." I threw my jacket on and reached for the door handle. "You should come over next time David is here. He'd love you." I wasn't entirely sure who that was but I assumed that he was Jack's dad so I just smiled and went outside. Jack walked me to my car. "I had an amazing time tonight. Your mom is so cool." I said to him as he placed his hands on my waste. My body leaned against the car gently as he kissed me. "So I won't see you after school tomorrow because of football practice." 

I sighed. "Don't remind me." But my sigh turned into a smile which turned into a giggle. "Ok, well I'll see you in math. Love you." He kissed my forehead and then headed back inside. I opened my car door and sat down on the seat, closing the door. I placed my hands at ten and two but I just couldn't get my foot to step on the gas pedal. I just stared at his house, not wanting to leave. After a minute or two I began to back out. The house grew smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror as I drove on. 

When I got home, the house was almost dead, so I assumedthat my parents were sleeping and I felt like passing out myself. As I walked up the stairs I noticed that my brothers light was on. One of them was probably in there and forgot to turn it off. As I got closer to the door, I could hear whispering and I knew that something was up. So I sprinted to the doorway and literally almost shit myself. "Cameron!" I yelled jumping into his arms. He gave me a noogy while he still could and then we let go.  

My mom and dad were sitting on his bed watching the chic-flic moment that just occured. "What the hell are you doing here?!" I asked. "Well, can't a brother visit his family?" He joked. "Of course I'm just shocked that you're here now." I was so overwhelmed at this point. "Yeah me too. But it's late and we should all get some rest. I'll talk to you in the morning." I stepped back a little and my parents stood up too. 

"Goodnight you two." My mom said. "No parties while we're sleeping." My dad added and soon they were gone. "Ok well goonight. Not sure if I'll be able to sleep now though." I chuckled. "Goodnight, now get the hell out of my room." He chuckled. I put my hands up in surrender and slowly backed out of the room and into mine. This day was just all out fantastic.