Chapter 3: Jack

The rain stained my clothes and drenched my hair as I walked along the sidewalk. I had no idea what time it was and I didn't know where I was going. All I knew is that I had to get away from home for a little while. I soon found a bus stop bench and sat my ass down on it. As soon as I took a seat, I could feel the wetness seep through my jeans. "Great, just great." I sighed. I had no money for a bus fair so I would probably sit here all night, shooing off buses.

I took out my phone, thank god for Lifeproof cases, and scrolled through my text messages to distract my mind. I kept getting frustrated though because the rain drops would hit my screen and fog everything up. After countless attempts to wipe the water off, I was done with it so I tucked it back in my pocket. I suddenly heard footsteps approach me so I looked up. There was a guy there. He sat on the bench too. I looked over at him but he was looking back at me.

"Hey." He said. "Hi." I replied. We exchanged glances for a few more minutes before he started digging his hand into his pocket. Then he pulled out a little container filled with about 12 little orange candies. "Tic tac?" He asked pointing the conatiner at me. I laughed a little and took one. One thing was for certain, his smile melted my heart. "I'm Jack, by the way." He put his hand out. "Delilah but you can call me Lilah." I shook his hand as he grinned at me. Maybe this wasn't such a bad night after all.

"So what is a beautiful girl like you doing here on a night like this?" He shuffled nervously on the bench indicating that he was completely flirting with me. "Its....complicated." I sighed. He looked into my eyes for a second before he started taking off his jacket. "Oh no you don't have to do that." I tried to push it away but he was already draping it across my shoulders. "You look like you need it more than I do." Suddenly the sound of screeching brakes approached us. We both looked up at the open doors in front of us. I turned to him. 

He looked at me and stood up. "I'll see you around." He grinned and got in the bus. He sat at the front and looked at me through the window and waved goodbye. I waved back and that's when I realized I was still wearing his hoddie. "Wait you forgot your-....Hoodie." It was no use.I was now on my feet with a soaking wet ass and drenched hair. I took out my phone and texted Jesse to pick me up. 

"What were you doing out there?" She asked once I closed the car door. "I got into an argument with my parents about Cameron." She began driving. "Oh that sucks. Sorry about that....hey, I don't remember you owning a black hoodie?" She glared at me. "Oh its, not mine." I smiled thinking about Jack. He was literally an angel. 

"You met a boy!? And he gave you his freaking jacket!?" She shouted with laughter. "He was really sweet, ok?" I popped out my lower lip in a joking manner. "Before my dad died, he used to tell me that if met a guy and he offered me his jacket in the first few minutes of us two meeting, we'd cross paths again. Kind of ironic you know? Maybe you'll see this boy again." We pulled into her driveway and got into her house as quick as possible.

When we got up to her room she closed the door behind us and started throwing questions at me. "So, what's his name? Is he hot?" She sat criss-crossed on her bed and I joined her. "Well, his name is Jack and hell yes. Total moel status! He has this amazing brown hair and his smile is just, ugh. ANdhe offeredmea freaking Tic-tac!" I giggled. "Oooo he sounds delicious." I slapped her arm. "Girl, he's mine!" I laughed. "Yeah ok what ever." She smirked. "So what are you going to do with his hoodie?" She pinched the sleeve.

I shrugged. "I don't know, I feel bad for having it." I put my hands in the pockets and the warmth just embodied my fingers. "I'll be right back. Nature calls." Jesse said, heading towards her bathroom. I shifted my fingers through the pockets and suddenly felt a piece of paper. I took it out and unfolded it. Someone's number was written on one of the sides. God I hope it was his and not some other girl he was hooking up with. I decided not to call it or show Jesse. She would definitly make me call it if she knew I had it.

I put the paper back in its place and pulled out my phone. I had several texts and missed calls from both of my parents but I didn't even care. The only missed call I did care about was the one from Cameron. Jesse came back into the room right when I called Cameron back. 

"Hey cam. No, they didn't. I kind of ran out of the house. I promise you that I'm safe. Haha yeah." I turned to Jesse. "Cameron says hi." She smiled and then went back on her phone. "You should. If it makes you happy, it makes me happy. Okay, love you too. Bye." I hung up. "Wow, this must be a big deal to you then if Cameron's defying your parents." I was shocked that she actually was listening to me.

"Yeah, I guess but I rather not think about it right now." I laid back against her pink sheets and drifted to sleep. I woke up to a face full of whipped cream and a laughing Jesse with a video camera. "Wow Jess, just wow." I said while wipping it off my face. "Guess I better get ready." I snarled. "Ha! Totally uploading this to my Snapchat story." I didn't feel like arguing about a stupid video so I let her post it. Once I got ready, borrowing Jesse's clothes, we got into her car and left. 

We ate some muffins on our way there so that we weren't dying of hunger during 3rd period. We got out of the car and headed to English. She was totally looking for that blonde dude from yesterday though. "Wow Jess." I laughed. "What?" She questioned obliviously. Right before I was going to tell her "what",  the blonde kid came over and started walking with us. 

"You two juniors?" He asked. "Yeah." I replied. "Whatchyour names?" He asked. Clearly he could careless about me just by the way he was checking Jess out. "I'm Lilah." I grinned. "I'm Jesse." Jesse finally spoke up. "Nice to me you guys. See you around?" He looked at Jesse. "Totally." She replied. Then he was gone. "Ha!" I shoved her. "We're gonna date before second quarter starts. I know it." I rolled my eyes at her. We strolled into English and did...work. 

Second period was blah, third period was blah, and then it was time for math. I hated math. I sat in my regular seat and waited for class to start. I don't really know anyone in my class, so I just sit alone in the back with an empty desk next to me. It didn't really bug me though. I usually didn't pay attention to the people around me anyway.

While I was picking at my nails, I heard a bunch chatter start to rise and a few gasps so I looked up. My body felt dead cold inside because, talking to the teacher, was Jack Gilinsky. His eyes were fixated on me as the teacher pointed to the desk to my left. 

Everyone was acting a little strange because we got a new student. Its early in the year so we should expect tons of schedule changes. Retards. Jack grinned at me as he sat down. "Hey." He whispered. "Hi." I whispered back. I quickly remembered that I had his hoodie in my backpack from when I was at Jesse's. "Oh I have your hoodie by the way." I quietly pulled it out and handed it to him.

"Why didn't you call me?" He asked. "What do you mean?" He playfully rolled his eyes and pulled out the piece of paper with the number on it. So it WAS his. "Oh. I didn't realize that it was your number." I blushed a little bit. "Well maybe you should keep it, just in case you need to borrow something else of mine." He winked before the teacher interupted us. 

"Ms. Olsin and Mr. Gilinsky, is this seating arrangment going to be a problem for us?" My face heated up really quickly. "Uh no, sorry Ms. Spencer." Jack responded for the both of us. She stared us down for another minute before turning back to the board. "Don't talk to me so much, I actually want to do good in this class." I smirked. "Well then I'll call you later and we can talk then." I was suddenly excited for school to end.