Chapter 16: Compromise

I laughed. "What do you mean you're the girl?" I asked. "What the hell do you think I mean?" She almost shouted. "No way. Skates girlfriend had blonde hair and her name was Chloe." I was staring at her funny, trying to figure out if she was telling the truth. "Yeah well I dyed my hair and changed my name to Jesse." Everything was silent for a moment while I was still staring at the side of her head. Then she turned and looked at me. 

"Let me make it easy for you." She reached behind her and grabbed a blonde wig. She put it on and looked at me for a second. Thats when I saw it. It was Chloe. I was a little more shocked then I was terrified. "Why did you change your name and is this why you've been acting a little strange lately?" I asked. "Look. When Skate and I broke up, he turned....scary. Leaving voicemails of him cursing about random shit. I could almost smell the alcohol through the phone. Anyway, I had to get away from him so over the summer I told him that I was leaving town.

"He acted like he didn't even care when I knew that he did. So I spent my summer break shopping for new clothes and buying new makeup. I dyed my hair too. I returned to school and had all my teachers call me Jesse. Thats when I met Delilah. She was dealing with her brother leaving for college and I felt bad so I talked to her and now we're best friends." It was a lot to take in. "Oh and don't...tell Lilah or Jack yet. I'll tell tem when things get less complicated." I nodded my head and sat silently for the rest of the car ride. 

We arrived at the school being the only car in the parking lot. With every step we took towards the front door, I got more and more anxious. Jesse was about to open the door when I stopped her. "Wait. I bet he's expecting us to go through the front door." It took her a moment and then she realized what I was talking about. "I'll through the back entrance and you go through here. If you see him. Don't tell him that I came with."

She nodded her head and I headed out. 

Jesse's POV: 

I pulled open the door to find an almost-too-quiet hallway. I closed the door behind me and walked straight. Where would he keep her? Whats one place he wold keep a girl tied up. Oh god. He's one twisted bastard. I went to the boys bathroom and peeked in. Lilah was tied to a urinal but Skate seemed to be no where in sight. "Lilah, hey." I whispered, running to her side. She looked up andnsmiled. "What are you doing here?" She whispered back. I untied her. "Jack and I came to "rescue you" in a sense. Where's Skate?" 

"Jes-" Delilah was cut off by a deep voice. "Hello, Chloe." He said in a taunting voice. "Skate. Look, I know that you're mad but please. Just let us go." I pleaded. "Now why would I go through all this trouble just so I could let you guys go." He rubbed his hands together anxiously. "Where's Jack, I know he's here." He looked behind him. But nobody was there. "He went through the back door." I spat. Skate chuckled. 

"Ok. Well then we'll just have to wait for his ass to show-" He was cut off. "Skate, let them go." Jack spoke sternly. "So, the miraculous Jack shows up after all." Skate spun around. Jack stepped into the bathroom and shut the door behind him. "I don't want to fight you." He lowered his voice. "That's fine. I wasn't intending on fighting this evening." Gilinsky stepped forward again. "Look, if we convince the judge to let you back in the competition, will you lay off?" His eyebrows raised as we all waited for an answer.

"Ok, I except that. Then we can really see who's better. And Chloe, I'm not hurt by our break up, I'm hurt from your desperation." Then Skate left the room leaving behind Lilah's phone to rest on the counter. We were all speechless for a while, trying to take in what has just happened. "Come on, let's get you out guys out of here." Jack motioned us to the door. As we walked through the hallway I couldn't help but think about what Skate said. What was that supposed to mean? I was worried about him. I shouldn't have been but I was. 

Delilah's POV:

We got int the car and Jack sat in the back with me as Jesse drove. "I'm sorry that this happened." He whispered into my hair. My head was resting on his shoulder and his arm was around me. "Its not your fault." I said back. "....how did Skate even get you to the school?" He asked. "I got home and there was this car on the side of my house. I was about to walk over to it when I got a text from an unknown number saying that it was you. I wasn't thinking straight so I went over to the car and jumped inside. 

"When I looked to my left, it was Skate. He locked the doors on me so I couldn't get out. Then stole my phone to text my parents somelie on why I wasn't home and drove to the school." His arm tensed up under me which was actually kind of hot. I looked up at him and he was looking out the window. His jaw was clenched and I could tell that he wanted to smash Saktes face in right now. I sat up and kissed his cheek. 

"Jack I'm ok." I said to him sweetly. He turned to me. His brown eyes searched mine for a while. "I know you are. I just get so worried-" My lips cut him off. I let go after a while and grinned at him. "Everything is going to be ok." I intertwined our fingers together and looked towards Jesse who was rather quiet.

"Jess, you ok?" I asked. "Yeah, I'm fine." She responded. We pulled into my neighborhood and I jumped out with Jack. "Thanks Jesse, you can go home." Jack said through the window. "Ok, stay safe." She said to both of us. "You too." Jack pated the window frame and then we headed inside. "Before we go in, I just want to let you know that my parents cannot find out about this." I pulled out my phone to check the message that Skate sent to my mom.

"Wow, looks like I went to the library to study because I forgot about some upcoming test." I rolled my eyes. "Do you know what you're gonna say?" Jack asked. "Yeah. I got this." We entered the house to find both my parents sitting on the couch. "Hey guys." I interupted. "Hey sweetie. How was the library?" My mom asked. "Funny story actually. I was looking for a certain book and I ran into Jack." They both looked up at Gilinsky and smiled. "Its kind of late. Shouldn't you be getting home, son?" My dad asked Jack. "Yeah, actually Jack Johnson has my car and my mom is out of town so I was wondering if I could spend the night and go home tomorrow morning?" 

My parents looked at each other and then back at us. "Well, we'd be happy to have you over but we don't have a extra bed and this couch is terrible for sleeping on, trust me." We all chuckled. "He could just sleep on the floor in my room." I suggested. I could see the worry in their eyes but soon they agreed. We went upstairs and I threw on one of Jack's shirts that he "lent" to me.

I laid out some sheets for him and a pillow next to my bed, on the floor. He took off his shirt and jeans so that he was just in his boxers. I tried to maintain my screams. He laid on the floor and threw the blankets over his beautifully toned body. His eyes traveled up to mine and we just stared at each other for a while. "I love you." He said. "I love you more." I said back. "I love you mostest."