Chapter 1: Brightwater

"Are you excited?" I asked. "Excited for what?" Jesse didn't take her eyes off of her phone. "For school tomorrow!" I slapped her arm, which didn't do anything. "It's school, why would I be excited for that?" She chuckled. "Because we get to start fresh, I don't know. I just like the idea that we can completely start over for once." I sighed while my phone buzzed. It was my dad. "Hey I gotta go, see you tomorrow." I opened her bedroom door. "Oh and remember to dress cute." I smirked at her as she rolled her eye's at me.

I laughed and walked out. I passed her mom, Ronda, while walking out. "Thank you for letting me come over." I said to her. She gave me one of her I'm-busy-leave-me-alone smiles so that was my Q. I walked to my car and got in. My Justin Bieber key chain rattled against the car as I twisted the key to start the engine. Soon enough I was out of Grackle and on my way to Brightwater. I like my neighborhood but there's only like 15 houses in it so it gets kind of lonely at times.

When I pulled into the nieghborhood, my house immediatly came into view. The big brown house with windows of every size and our old basketball hoop pitifully standing in our driveway. I pulled up and locked the car behind me. My mom was in the kitchen making hell-knows-what while my dad sat on the couch reading the paper. "Dad, no one reads the paper anymore." I joked setting down my stuff. "Well I'm old so I have an excuse." He smirked.

"True." I chuckled. "Hey mom." I said while walking into the kitchen. "Hi sweetie, how was Jesse's?" She ran to her boiling pot and turned the nob down a bit. "It was good, the usual." I grabbed an apple off the counter and headed upstairs. I was planning on going straight to my room but my brothers half open door kind of caught my attention. I pushed it open so I could get a full view of everything. My eyes immediatly began to sting.

I took a step inside and saw that his bed was perfectly made and his desk was all neat and tidy. Most people would think it would be depressing to see such a clean room of someone who isn't around, but Cameron was a clean person. So it was almost like he was still here. He left for college a year ago and hasn't even visited for any holidays or called. But I understand that he's really busy trying to be a nurse at Utah State. Yeah, a nurse. You can laugh.

I made my way to his shelf which contained several pictures. I picked up a little stack of loose photos and went through them all. The first one was of the whole family wearing ugly sweaters for our Christmas card. The next was one of he and my dad playing with our old dog, Winter. It was cute because he and my dad haven't spent time together in years. I flipped the picture over to see when this was taken but as I was reading, my eyes traveled down to the next photo.

I tucked the old one under the stack and marveled at the new one I was looking at. It was one of him and I laughing at something. We were clearly walking around the fair together. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

Flashback

"You are so lame!" Cameron nudged me. "Nu-uh. Just because I hate roller coasters doesn't mean I'm lame." He rolled his eyes. "You're right I'm sorry. I meant your a loser." He laughed at his remark. "You're so funny! Are you like, related to Kevin Hart because Ha Ha Ha." He stopped dead in his tracks and burst out laughing. "None of that made any sense what-so-ever." All of my anger overflowed right then and ther and I went at him. We ended up chasing each other around the whole place with Cam shouting, "You'll never get me" every few minutes.

"Honey? What are you doing in here?" My mom said interupting my thoughts. I put the picture in my back pocket and set the rest on the shelf. "Just, looking at photo's." She gave me a look as if she thought I was up to something. "Ok, well I'm gonna start on dinner. What are you going to do?" I squeezed past her in the doorway. "I don't know. I'll figure something out. Why do you ask?" She seemed worried all of a sudden. "I'm just kind of on the fritz today."

She clenched her jaw a little bit. "How come?" I stuck my hands in my pockets. "Well, in the paper today, some guy was going around raping young girls and I..." I cut her off. "Mom, that's really unfortunate, but I'll be fine." I placed my hand on her shoulder for comfort and then turned towards my room. "Ok umm.." My mom tried to continue. "Go check on your enchildas mother." I joked.

I closed the door behind me and plopped down on my bed. I got to admit, the thing my mom was talking about sort of startled me but it must have been a lie just so I can have an excuse to stay home this weekend. I'm going to Jesse's for a little hangout because her mom was going on a business trip. We weren't going to have anyone over so it would give us more time to talk about boys and life.

I went onto Twitter and read through some of the tweets. Seemed like everyone was talking about this "rapist" dude. Even Jesse tweeted about it.

@jessinator13: How much do ya wanna bet that the rapist dude is just Mr. Ruziecki #rapistdudeinhb

I chuckled to myself because I knew that that tweet was directed to me; its a little inside joke. I stalked Ariana Grande for a while before I got bored. I turned my body around to face my new backpack I got last week. It was just a regular grey Jansport backpack but I liked it a lot. While staring at it, I decided that it was time to put my outift together for tomorrow. I found a pair of faded out skinny jeans with artificial rips, a red and black flannel, a white tank top, and some white converse. Basic white girl clothing but I didn't give a shit.

"DINNER!" My dad yelled from downstairs. I laughed a little while walking down the stairs because I could hear my mom yelling at my dad about how he should've properly gone up to my room and politly inform me that dinner was ready. My parents are so different that its funny. I sat at the table while the food was being placed all around me. Lasagna, salad, bisquits, exc. I don't even have a big appetite but my parents always seem to be shoving food in my face.

"So, are you excited for school tomorrow?" My mom asked. "Honey, what kind of a question is that?" My dad said. "Actually, I am." My dad gave me a what-the-fuck-is-wrong-with-you look which made almost spit out my lasagna from laughter. We all exchanged a laugh, even my mom. "So, have you talked to Cameron lately?" I asked. They both simultaniously muted which got me worried. "Well?" I asked a little more sternly.

"No, we just wish he would at least call us every now and then." My mom said without looking at me. "Oh, yeah I know." I sighed. He was a pain in the butt but he was brother and I loved him. "I think I'm done. May I please be excused?" I asked nicely. "Yeah." My dad responded. Every time I brought up Cameron, my parents would try and avoid it as much as possible. I hated it. I actually liked talking about my brother and by them avoiding it, I NEVER get to talk about him what-so-ever. I sat by my window and pulled out my diary.

I jotted down some lyrics I had been thinking about so I wouldn't forget them and then drew a picture of, what I believe was, an angel. I went on my phone for the rest of the night before I passed out.

______________________

I know that author notes can be pretty annoying but I just wanted to thank you for joining Delilah and her journey. Also, I post a lot so you will have plenty more to read. Again thank you and enjoy chapter 2 when it comes out:)

Social media:

Instagram: @sapphy_b , Twitter: @sappy_b , Vine: @sapphire brilliant or @All.Them.Edits