Chapter 9: Battle of the Bands

"That dude was a complete dick! Jesus." Johnson blurted out once we got back to Jesse's house. "Rae has no idea what he just lost ok? Don't let it get to you because the more you think about it the more that this Rae guy seems important, which he's not." Jesse said. "She's right Jack, don't be upset. We'll find something or someone else to put you out there." I said rubbing Johnsons back. Gilinsky didn't seem all that upset about not getting the record deal. But it didn't surprise me after how he talked about the Jack and Jack situation earlier. 

"I'd really love to stay and chat but I need to get home. My parents are blowing up my phone with messages. Need a ride Lilah?" Jack asked. "Yeah thanks. I'll see you guys Monday." We said our farewells and then headed out. "So, you didn't seem very upset about not getting that record deal." I mentioned once we entered the car. "Yeah. I'm just more concerned on how HE'S gonna handle it." I nodded in agreement. 

We got to my house pretty quickly which kind of made me sat because I'd have to leave my favorite guy. "I'll see you Monday." He said while giving me a quick kiss. "You too." I replied and then closed the door behind me. As I was just about to reach my porch I heard Jack's voice again. "Lilah!" He shouted. "Yeah?!" I shouted back. "I love you!" I could see his little grin in the window as he drove off without letting me respond. I bit my lip and watched the rest of his car disappear down the road.

I walked inside and my dad was sitting on the couch (as usual) reading the paper. "Hey dad." I said, startling him slightly. "Hi how was the party?" He set the paper besdie him. I walked over and tried to act as inoccent as possble. "Ok so these to guys came over, but don't worry nothing bad happened. We just hung out until we all fell asleep." I was nervous to tell him this because I'd rather not be grounded for 6 months...after I'm already dead.

"I believe you. Just don't tell mom. She'll flip." I laughed and gave him a hug. I felt kind of bad because something did indeed happen but I'd get over. The rest of my Saturday was pretty relaxing (besides be a little sore in places unmentionable). I texted Jack a bunch and even facetimed him. The same with Sunday. Pretty average lazy Sunday. Then the worst day of the week rolled around. For some reason, I kept scanning the people around me the whole day wondering if any of them were Skate. That's when it dawned on me.

After school I waited for Jack at my locker because I had texted him to do so. Soon enough he came strolling down the hallway, recieving a few scared glimpses here and there from bystanders. "Why'd you want me to meet you here?" He asked right away. "Do you know where Skate would be right now?" I got straight into it, hoping he wouldn't ask questions. I knew he would anyway. His eyebrows furrowed. "Why? You know that he's bad news." I saw the worry in his eyes but I knew that I had to do this. "Jack please. I at least deserve to know who I'm supposed to stay away from." 

He sighed and looked around at all the faces passing by for a while before he finally gave in. "What time is it?" He asked. I pulled out my phone and then slid it back into my pocket. "3:00." He then put his hand on my shoulder and we started walking down the hall. "He'd be in the band room right now." Honestly, I had no idea what to expect. Would this guy have tons of peircings? A mohawk? Eye liner?

Then we were standing in front of B-3, the band room. I looked at Jack and he looked at me. I pushed the door open and entered the room. There were a few people in there that were just leaving but for the most part, I could pretty much tell which one was Skate. He was behind a medium sized drum kit with a few other people standing in front of him. There was a girl with a bass and a guy with an electric guitar. Skate wore a white tank top with his tatooed muscles very much showing. 

His hair was black and poorly brushed. His side burns came down the side ok his face to sort of create a miny beard but it was barely see-able. The girl had firey red hair that was just sufficating itself with curls. She wore a crop top and jeans along with a bandana tied around her afro. The guy on the other side had brown hair combed into a quiff and pushed to the side. He had fake diamond earings and beautiful eyes. He wore dark jeans that sagged at the crotch and plain grey shirt. 

Their eye's all shifted over to us. Then Skate stood up from his seat. "Well, well, well. Look who we have here. Jack fucking Gilinsky. You remember Mahogany and Sam don't you? Of course you do." Jack rolled his eyes. "Look Skate, we didn't come here to play games." Jack cracked his knuckles as a warning. "Then what did you come here for? Huh? Certainly not to apologize for ruining my life. Or stealing my things for your own use-" Gilinsky cut him off quickly. 

"That's bullshit. I didn't use your fucking drugs!" Skate crossed his arms over his chest and took a few steps closer to him. "Then whats the real reason that you came to me?" The room fell silent. Skate stared coldly at Jack. Waiting on an answer. My eyes shifted from nervousness and as they did so I noticed a sign on the wall that read:

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: SEPTEMBER 28TH IN THE AUDITRIUM AT 7:00

"See, I knew you were coward. Too afraid to-" I cut him off. "We came here to tell you that we're competing in The Battle of the Bands." His black eyes fell to me. "Now who may this be?" He walked over to me and I could just picture what Jack wanted to do to him right now. "You don't deserve to know who I am, asshole." I could see the proudness in the way Jack smirked at me. "Wow, the bitch has sass. I like it. Battle of the Bands Gilinsky?" He asked going back over to Jack.

He looked nervously over at me wondering what he should do. I can tell that he thought that I was crazy for saying that. But I only did it to buy him from complete humiliation. Finally his fists unclenched and he gave into the idea. "Yeah. And you're gonna suck ass compared to us." Skate chuckled. "Oh Jack, don't you know that we've never lost a battle? And who's "us" ?" He raised an eyebrow. "Me, Johson, Lilah, and Jesse." Jack crossed his arms over his chest to mimick Skate. "Oh so you're the fabulous Delilah that I heard was dating Jack. You and that blonde girl Jesse are besties right!? Ha, that makes me laugh." He smirked at me.

"Yeah. At least my friends didn't leave me." I said. 

(Damn, it feels good to be a gangster)