and her big heart

jordyn.

Friday nights to the stereotypical American teenager generally consist of three things: friends, drinks, and sex. Saturday nights are no different. It's a temporary getaway from all responsibilities an adolescent has and a time to pretend those responsibilities don't exist or never existed. Call it an alternate reality of some sort.

In the real world not romanticized by Hollywood, said-adolescents can be caught binge-watching Netflix until the wee hours of the morning or if you're even lucky enough to catch such a sight, they'll actually be on a phone call with someone. It's a concept that's been long ditched since the 1980s when mobile phones were all the rage. The closest they'll get to interaction now is through FaceTime and even then, more than likely they'll be watching Netflix on the side and occasionally talking to the person on the other end of the line. I dare Hollywood to make that entertaining to the public.

Now, I hate to be that girl, the one that insists she's not like other girls, but I fall into neither of those categories. I don't have the time to be sitting and watching Netflix all night. My patience can't handle so many people crowded in a sweaty room carrying a nasty liquor odor for too long. I don't have the capacity to understand why two people would be calling each other only to not speak.

So here I am on my Friday night, not ready to join Sophie upstairs in her private bowling alley, but to work on a project. With her brother. We both clearly had to make sacrifices here,Beau was just more vocal about it. I could be hanging out with Sophie right now, mocking her as she only hits the 2 out of 10 pins. But no, I'm stuck listening to Beau mouth off for the next hour because he's complaining about how he should be out with his friends. As if he's such fantastic company.

Of course I'd never admit it to Beau, for his ego will be far too boosted for my liking, but he's helping me more than he knows. With the excuse that we'll be working on the project, I'll have more luck in avoiding Soph. Yes, I'm using my worst enemy to avoid my best friend. Only because I don't want to tell her about the deal I made with her older brother. Considering my sister's reaction, I'm not exactly ecstatic about confessing to Sophie what I've stupidly done.

I drive into the underground parking garage and the inferior feeling never fails to daunt on me as I park my car next to these BMWs, Bugattis, Ferraris and Teslas. My Lexus, though expensive and I'm grateful that my parents got it for me, looks miniscule in comparison to the massive array of luxury sports cars lining the wall across from me. To be in here feels like I'm trespassing even though Mr. and Mrs. Clemonte insist that I am more than welcome to their luxuries.

One of their housekeepers, Heidi opens the door for me. I greet her with a smile and treat her just as I would anyone else here, despite her occupation. I never agreed with the whole class system thing, just because you have money doesn't warrant you to be a dick and just because you're poor doesn't mean you can walk around with a victim complex.

"How are you, Jordyn?" she asks ever so politely. She's a middle-aged woman with two children, a 9-year old son and a 5-year-old daughter. She gets paid well enough to hire a babysitter for them while she's at work, but I wish she gave herself a break to spend time with them and to enjoy herself more.

"I'm good, Heidi. I heard it was your daughter's birthday last week." I reach into my bag and take out a kit to make friendship bracelets with, since Heidi told me she was really into that right now. "It's not much, but-"

"Nonsense, Jordyn. She'll love it, thank you so much." I can see the genuine gratefulness in her eyes as she takes the box into her hands.

"Just call me Jo, Heidi."

"Well, thank you, Jo. You are such a sweet girl, your heart can change the world someday," she compliments.

I nod silently. It doesn't take much to be a decent human being, so when people say I have a "big heart" I find it odd because to me, it's just basic kindness everyone should have. I thank my parents for instilling that in me at such an early age.