you're dead to me

If I could have any superpower, it'd be teleportation.

If I was late to class: teleportation.

If I ever needed to be in two places at once: teleportation.

If I needed to get out of a car ride so awkward it was suffocating I'd want to gouge my eyes out of their sockets and rip my ears from their nerves, guess what I'd use? Teleportation.

After last night's pool exploits, I took my shower and fell asleep. Jake didn't show up in our room until morning to pack his things. As expected, there wasn't much to say. I mean what can I say to the guy I like who's friend I'm fake dating to make said-guy jealous, but explaining all of that would piss off said-fake boyfriend so instead I let him kiss me because it's a helluva lot easier than recounting the rollercoaster that has been my life so far. Not to mention the fact that my fake boyfriend seems to have an issue whenever I talk to his best friend so I can't talk to him about this either. Two different secrets being kept from two vastly different people.

Now that I think about it, another great superpower would be time travel. So at least I can time-travel myself the fuck out of this mess.

I had no choice but to leave with Jake. He brought me here, so I had no car and let's face it, I can't stand anyone else in this house.

So awkward car ride it is.

Sophie and I go back and forth over text to keep me busy. I texted her this morning that I had a bit of a situation on my hands, but now I regret doing so because she's begging me to tell her, even after I insisted thousands of times that it's better to just wait for me to tell her in person soon. She isn't one to usually take no for an answer, but eventually I get her to back down when I tell her that I'll drive over to her house as soon as I get home.

Jake and I have spoken a total of 3 words to each other throughout this whole car ride. Granted, it's only 20 minutes, but believe me, it can easily turn to 3 hours when you're just sitting with light music playing but the other person in the car is barely speaking. It gets especially hard when you know you and that person have a stronger bond than this and all it took was a mere 15 minutes to fuck it all up.

We finally stop at the front of my house and I'm too eager to jump out of the car and grab my things. I stop just before walking off for good and turn back to Jake and wave lightly. "Thank you," I gulp.

He manages a small forced smile. "No problem. It was fun until-"

"Promise me everything will be okay?" I interject. I just need to hear him reassure me. Even if it may not be true, I just need the words to come out of his mouth. We can't go on like this, he has to know that.

He sighs and nods. "Yeah, everything will be fine. I think we both just need some space to think for now," he affirms.

I nod and return the small smile he gave me. Jake starts driving away as I walk back into my house.

I open the door to see my mom sitting on the couch still in her light blue scrubs. She turns to me and beams, despite her clearly sunken eyes. She must've had a tiring shift this weekend, so I decided to save her all the bad details. I walk over to her and lay my head on her lap like I did when I was little. I recount to her the night at the pier and tell her we spent the rest of the nights at the fire, making s'mores and telling ghost stories. She laughs at the giant pig I brought along with me and that's all I need. I don't want to bombard her with my drama. I'll just inform Kat later.

I don't get to see my dad because he's still caught up at the hospital, but he reassures me he'll be home in time for dinner so we can catch up then. As for Kat, she and Grant are out shopping for her winter formal dress to ensure they coordinate. I couldn't find a more perfect time to take off to see Sophie for a few hours. I don't bother calling her because her house is like my second house anyway.