epilogue II

Three years after...

beau.

The waiting game of a lifetime sits in her hands. A small discreet box somehow holds the power to change everything.

It came about three days ago when Jo and I visited our favorite restaurant in the city. Like always, we got ourselves a chocolate milkshake to split between us after dinner. When the waiter came back with the drink, Jo was nowhere to be found. She seemed to be in the bathroom a lot longer than normal. So obviously, I went to check on her.

The door swung open just as I'd reached the hallway and immediately panic set over me. Her hands were shaky, her legs wobbly, tears crystalized her eyes. I ran to her side, asking if she was okay and she turned away from me.

"Take me home, please," she whispered, making my heart sink. I hadn't known why she seemed so distant suddenly. During dinner, she was happy, laughing and talking as she always is. "I'll explain in the car," she added, clearing her throat. She didn't sound upset, she just sounded...exhausted.

We climbed into the back of an Uber waiting for us at the curb. I wasn't sure if we were going to have anything to drink that night, so I figured better to be safe than sorry. She didn't have any wine, so I didn't either, that's how it usually went. If she wasn't drinking, neither was I.

Jo sighs softly, letting her body lean into mine. My arm takes her in, resting on her side and moving up and down aimlessly. "I didn't want to say anything," she began, "Didn't want to worry you."

She looked at me, not surprised that by saying that she'd made me ten times more worried than I was before. "Beau," the serious look on her face was overturned by a soft, endearing smile, "I think I'm pregnant."

My heart sank. Not in a bad way, not at all actually. Hearing those words I was so fucking thrilled to hear. I wanted to squeeze her tight and kiss the fuck out of her. Fuck the fact that there was another person in the car with us, my girl could be pregnant with our baby.

"I haven't been able to keep anything down for over a week," she lamented quietly, "I thought it was a stomach bug or something so I brushed it off. But I was supposed to get my period last week and...well."

"Baby..." I said, struck completely dumb. I was still so hung up on her potentially being pregnant.

She folded her hands in her lap and I'd noticed them flipping and squeezing one another anxiously. "I don't want to let myself get too excited about this. I only got off the birth control two months ago and given last time—"

"Hey," I interrupted her, "you're allowed to be as excited as you wanna be. I am. Besides, with the amount of trying we've done these past few weeks," she chuckled softly, "I doubt there's not a baby inside you already."

Even in the darkness, I could see her cheeks flush pink. God, this girl will never change.

I would have expected her to have taken a test by now, but with our hectic schedules, it was hard to find a time where we could both get the results. She wanted us to be together when we found out and honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

So when she didn't have to put in some studying time at the library and I didn't have a night class to attend to, she ran to the nearest drugstore and bought a couple tests to be sure of the result. When I heard her step into our bedroom with the bag in her hand, I took a deep, solid breath. Savoring such a luxury while I still could because I knew for a fact that while we were waiting for the results to show up I'd forget to breathe.