a truth for a lie

cw: there is a part where Sophie having something slipped into her drink is discussed. if you feel that that could be triggering, just keep scrolling until the italicized dialogue ends.

jordyn.

"Soph?" My voice is antsy, frantic even. "God I've been trying to get a hold of you since yesterday!" I hiss into the phone. Cowering in the furthest corner of my bathroom, still I keep my voice relatively low in order not to wake up Beau. It's bad enough I was so occupied with Sophie's secretive shit yesterday, today cannot go the same. And it certainly will if he finds me dubiously panicked by something I promised not to spill.

Until further notice.

I hear her groan tiredly on the other end of the phone. Just as easily as I tapped her name on my call list, I could have marched over across the street to make sure she was alright after the wild night she had, but that would require making a scene. For the most part, I do my best to avoid those. "It's nearly eight in the fucking morning," she grumbled in her sleepy voice.

"You're usually up by six, it's a school day." My eyes dart to the bathroom door. I'm so pathetically stressed, it's convincing my brain I'm hearing things. Anything my ears can pick up on, real or not, startles me. I left the door unlocked, afraid that the click! would wake Beau. He's the deepest sleeper I know, but my paranoia has convinced me the subtlest of movements could awaken him in an instant. There goes my cover, blown to pieces.

Some rustling occurs on her end. Possibly she's finding somewhere more private to talk, somewhere away from Leo. "When you're hungover, it generally takes you a while to stir yourself awake. Early bird calls don't help," she whispers, enunciating that very last part. Believe me, I fully understand her hangover dilemma. Way more than I should at my age, but I was fretting for her all night. So much so that I could only sleep in intervals. After 20 minutes my mind would stir awake and I'd immediately grab my phone to check for new messages. Sorry for being worried that something happened to my best friend last night.

Another noise scares me. I'm too alert for my own damn good. "Sophie" I say in all seriousness, "Are you feeling okay?"

She gives a light exhale. "A little woozy still to be honest. Last night was intense." 'Intense'. Well that'd be one way to put it. If she texts me randomly at eight o'clock thinking Leo slipped something into her drink at a club, that isn't just intense, that's fucking terrifying. I felt my blood go cold right then, but I was still having dinner with my parents, so I couldn't exactly tend to the situation right there and then without sending Beau into a frenzy.

The whole point of all this secrecy is to make sure he doesn't find out through me. However, I could only do so much. I can only keep so many secrets at one time. "Did he put anything in your drink?" I cut right to the chase. If this is the situation we're dealing with here, peace be damned, this motherfucker is getting his ass kicked. No one does that to someone and gets away with it. Shit happens to get done faster when you take justice into your own hands instead of trying to 'keep the peace'.

"Uh..." she trails off, "I don't think so, I would have passed out."

"So then what do you think happened? Are you sure he didn't put anything in your drink?" She could be lying. I mean, what if he's right there beside her? What if he found out she told me something and now he doesn't want the truth to come to life? Could she really be lying for him? Sophie wouldn't go through all the trouble of doing that, but one can never be too sure.

A low close-mouthed groan rings through the small speaker. "He didn't, I'm sure of it. I thought it was my drink, but it was the joint we smoked. It hit me harder than usual," she clears her throat in explanation.