london

tw: drugs, harassment

Around two in the morning, my phone starts to go off. It doesn't take a genius to know who would think to call me at this hour, other than the boyfriend who I made promise he'd call me as soon as he got off the plane.

In all honesty, I haven't gotten much sleep anyway. My worry for Beau combined with Piggy's hyperactivity didn't make for a very restful night's sleep. So I wouldn't begin to spiral into the thoughts that typically occur when I'm left alone, I put on the fifth season of Friends and tuck me and Piglet into bed to have something to hold onto.

When I hear my phone's ringtone begin to chime it startled Piggy beneath the covers. While I run my hand over his soft head to soothe him, I use my other hand to reach over and grab my phone to cut off the abrupt sound before my family hears it. Even if they did, I'm sure they'd already know who it is, yet an interrogation would still follow in the early morning given by none other than my concerned mother.

Sure enough, it's Beau's name across the top of the screen. Lifting Piggy, I set him down on my stomach so I can pet him easily while I hold the phone up to my ear.

"Hey," I speak into the phone.

"Hey, love, did I wake you?" he asks, worry laced in his voice.

"No," I hum. Piggy grumbles against my stomach and paws at my shirt. I move the covers over his head and he relaxes again. "I haven't been able to get much sleep anyway," I add.

"Why's that? Piglet keeping you up?" Yes, partially. But if I let him know of that, it'll only prove his 'theory' that the puppy's a little spoiled brat who only serves to be a nuisance. I sure don't think of him that way, neither does anyone else. But Piglet and Beau really have had it out for one another since day one.

"No, just worried about you is all." Wondering why he left so abruptly at the airport took up most of my "worrying". After he left, I was close to calling him, but what stopped me were the tears streaming down my face. He said he couldn't leave me there crying and I wanted to make good on that wish.

Still, curiosity is eating away at me. "Why didn't you say goodbye?" I blurt out the sorry question. Merely talking about how quickly and silently he left incites a bubble of emotion in the pit of my stomach. I do my best not to choke up again, he'll be fine without the sob fest.

"Baby," he drawls out, pity clear in his tone. Despite the somber note deepening his voice, it feels great to hear it again. It hasn't even been a day since we've been apart and I'm already feeling that dull ache for him in my heart. It's only bound to get stronger in the next coming days. The hole in my heart can only be filled by him when he returns. "I didn't want you to cry anymore. I thought you couldn't watch me go."

"Oh," I mutter.

"I didn't mean to make you feel bad in any way," he starts to ramble on nervously, "I guess I just thought it would be easier to walk away with a hug and a kiss. Not saying hurtful goodbyes and...fuck, was I wrong for doing that? I'm sorry."

"Hey, there's no need to apologize," I chime in breathily, "I just wanted to know why you did it. I think I liked it better that way if I'm being honest. I even thought it would hurt me too much to see you walk away,"

His voice goes soft. Careful, a tone in which he would only use with me. "It would hurt too much to leave you behind."

Piggy starts to shift around. As if I'm his personal bed or something. I groan as he pushes his weight onto me so he can maneuver himself. His legs splay out behind him and he tucks his oversized paws under his chin to rest on my stomach. "Sorry, I have Piggy right here," I inform in a voice laced with ache.