Chapter 38

Not Harry. Not Harry.
It couldn't be him.
I already lost Fred, and Tonks. Not Harry too.
I tried to convince myself that he was fine, but I knew that messy black hair. and those round glasses. 
A thousand different memories passed through my head. The first time I ever flew at Hogwarts. The first time we spent all night talking to each other. The first time I held him while he cried. The first time I showed him our tree swing. The first time I realised how much I loved him. The first time I knew he loved me too. The first time we kissed. The first time I felt truly happy in his arms. The first date with him. My first winter with him. The first time we told each other we loved one another. The first time my heart broke. It was all with him.
In that moment, I knew I would never be able to be happy again. Not without him. The only thing that kept me alive this past year was that he was safe. At least somewhat. Now there was nothing. Nothing to keep me in this world.
"HARRY POTTER IS DEAD" Voldemort shouted
"NO!" I ran to Harry, wanting proof, but my dad held me back.
I reached for my wand, but my dad held my hands while I struggled pointlessly.
"Stupid girl!" Voldemort shouted "Harry potter is dead. From this day forth, you put your faith in me."
An uncomfortable silence went over the crowd as he said this, but I didn't notice. I could hear Harry's voice in my head, talking to me.
"Love, don't stop fighting, don't give up. Your family needs you now, they need you to stay alive and safe more than anything." The voice said. "I might not be here anymore, but you are, and you can actually do something about this. Stay safe my love."
My thoughts were interrupted when Voldemort spoke again. "Now is the time to declare yourself. Come and join us, or prepare to die."
The only person who stepped forward was Neville. I was so confused. Why would Neville all of a sudden want to be a death eater? Not only that, but his parents were tortured by death eaters, they were the reason he grew up with his grandma. It didn't make any sense.
"Well I must say I hoped for better. And who might you be?" Voldemort called to Neville.
"Neville Longbottom." Everyone on the other side laughed when they heard his name, no doubt remembering his poor parents. "I'd like to say something."
"Well Neville I'm sure we'd all love to hear what you have to say." Voldemort smiled, showing his rotted teeth.
"It doesn't matter that he's dead-"
Neville got cut off by Seamus. "Stand down neville."
"People die every day, friends, family. Yeah, we lost Harry tonight, but he's still with us, in here" Neville motioned at his chest, "So does Fred, Remus, and Tonks. All of them, they didn't die in vain. But you will. Because you're wrong! Harry's heart did beat for us. For all of us. This isn't over!"
One minute Neville was saying his speech, next there were spells flying everywhere.
I looked around to see what just happened, and there, in the middle of the courtyard Harry stood, fighting Voldemort.
I tried to process this. Harry was alive. I would see him again, I would hear his stupid laugh and see his crooked grin again. Maybe there was a chance between us two again, maybe not. It didn't matter though, because he was alive. Nothing was as important as the fact that he was alive.
I tried to keep my eyes on them as long as possible, but pretty soon I had spells flying at me as well. Bellatrix LeStrange seemed to be particularly after me, and I sent spell after spell at her, as she blocked all of them. Soon I was backed into the great hall again, and I was loosing. She was gaining on me, sending spells faster than I could block them. All of a sudden I was being pushed out of the way.
"Not my daughter you b*tch!" my mum yelled as she began dueling Bellatrix. Mum was winning, and she killed her within just minutes of fighting.
She came to me and pulled me into a hug.
"I have to find harry." I said, looking at her for approval.
"Of course." she gave me another squeeze then let me go, and I wandered the castle ruins looking for Harry.
I ended up in the courtyard again, where Harry was battling Voldemort. Harry was winning, but he looked like he was in pain. I studied his face, and I saw the determination in his eyes. He wanted to defeat Voldemort. The man who killed his parents, the man who killed his godfather, the man who killed my brother. I loved him even more in that moment, and I knew that regardless of how long it might take me, I would be able to forgive him.
All of a sudden Voldemort started to fade away, and he turned to ash in front of my eyes.
I sprinted to Harry, and we met with a hug, which quickly turned into a kiss. I had never felt a kiss that said so much.
"Harry!" Ron yelled from across the courtyard, making us pull away from each other. For the first time, I didn't care if Ron saw me kissing Harry, because all that mattered was that we were together, I couldn't have cared if the whole world saw that kiss.
The two embraced, and I noticed Hermione next to Ron, holding his hand.
I smiled and motioned to their hands together, which Hermione responded with a huge, giddy smile.
Even if me and Harry weren't going to end up together, I knew that I would find a way to be happy again, the way a toddler would be when they have nothing else to worry about. It had been a while since I wasn't worrying about voldemort. Even in my own home, I always was worried that we might be found, that my family would get hurt, all because we were helping people.
The world is a much simpler place now, and I'm glad for it.