28. He is here

He is here!, Mehek's inner voice screamed repeatedly while she was trying her best not to spill coffee. The Shaurya Khanna is here. He is sitting majestically in her humble café. Dressed in well-cut suit and adorning his dominant aura, he appeared as a complete misfit to the surrounding. Yet he appeared to be perfectly calm & collected. He smiled gently while she served him coffee and sat opposite to him. 

"You got a nice place here", he looked around appreciatively. She doubted whether he was mocking her but his genuine smile disarmed the thought. Mehek thanked him politely. "Are you here for business or pleasure trip?", she asked timidly. Unlike him, she was ill at ease and didn't know how to steer their conversation. "A bit of both", he responded. She felt a sudden pang of disappointment to acknowledge that Krishna may be accompanying him. "How's Krishna?", she asked as calmly as possible. "She is doing good", he answered and sipped his coffee.

Before Shaurya could speak, Anaya rushed to her side. "Ma, who is he?". "A friend", Shaurya replied swiftly and extended his hand to her, "I am Shaurya Khanna. Can I know name of this beautiful young lady?". Anaya seemed to be impressed.  "Anaya", she gave her hand in style while Shauyra pulled it closer to his lips and spoke dramatically, "A pleasure to meet you, my Lady". Both Anaya and Mehek giggled while Shaurya looked at them adorably. "Anaya, can you put back your books into the bag? I will be with you shortly", Mehek send her back to talk to Shaurya.

"She is lovely", Shaurya told Mehek, " I bet she is her father's princess". Apart from an agreeable smile, Mehek couldn't muster any response. She wanted to tell him that she and Ajay are divorced, infact they were never an actual couple. But then what will she achieve out of it. Shaurya was married and loves his wife. Probably have their own children now. He seems to be content in his life. She didn't want to portray herself as a desperate loner. It was sheer chance for Shaurya to run into her café and it is better if he found her well settled in life. They talked for few more minutes until awkward silence prevailed amidst them. "It's getting late. I won't hold you longer", he excused himself.

"It was an accident, Shaurya", Mehek blurted out before he reached the door. Although they both knew what she was referring to, she clarified, "I agree that my carelessness led to it. But I never intend to harmed our child". He nodded while his sadness pained her. By the time she opened her mouth to talk again, tears already made way through her cheeks, "I never valued our baby until I lost her. I swear that not even a day passes away when I don't mourn over my loss". "Well that makes two of us", he didn't try to hide his agony. They both were startled when Anaya's soft footsteps made way to them. Mehek quickly wiped her tears and appeared presentable before her. "I wish you well, Mehek", with those words he exited the café .

Mehek was unable to sleep whole night. Many a times, she wished to call Ajay and confide her worries but then she refrained. It felt wrong to disturb him during honeymoon. She picked up her phone to dial Sonal yet she didn't want to disturb her pregnant friend. She consoled herself that meeting Shaurya was just coincidence and nothing more.

Yet he kept on appearing in her mind repeatedly. Outwardly he seemed not yo have changed a bit yet his attitude and manner have altered. He looked nervous and confused. Atleast, she was not the only one to be affected. Finally Mehek managed to sleep during wee hours of night.

After dropping Anaya to kindergarten, Mehek decided to kill sometime by wandering around. While window shopping, she was in for a surprise when she found Shaurya behind her. "We meet again", he spoke awkwardly while Mehek looked around for Krishna. It was a sunny day and she thought the couple would have decided to explore the city. Upsetting his wife was the last thing Mehek wanted to do. So she quickly glanced at her watch and made excuse to be late to pick up Anaya. "Can we talk?", he abruptly asked. Mehek stopped on her tracks while he asked again, "Do you know someplace where we could sit and talk peacefully?". Mehek nodded.

They both needed a closure. Mehek prayed that their attempt won't disturb his family life. They sat on the stone bench at nearby park. It was empty owing to morning time. "It looks deserted now but by evening, this place will be filled with children", Mehek tried to converse. "We are right place at wrong time", he replied but Mehek looked away. "You should bring Krishna and kids here. I am sure they will enjoy", she suggested but he didn't respond and then again silence prevailed.

"I knew you didn't harm our child deliberately", Shaurya breached the topic, "but I was so sad and angry to act properly". "I am sorry, Shauyra. It was my mistake although unintentional", Mehek apologized. "It was difficult for me. I was aware of all your attempts to explain your side; Even at the airport", he explained, "at that time it appeared to be right thing to do. Avoiding your reasons and pushing you away". Mehek kept quiet reminiscing her attempts and Krishan words. "Then it seemed to be the right choice. You left with Ajay and we were trying to work on our marriage", he said to her.

Mehek stood up sensing that they didn't have anymore to talk. It felt good to let it out of their chest. "I wish you both all happiness, Shaurya", she tried to be fair before leaving him. "We are no longer together ,Mehek", his brooding words were shock to her, "We filed for mutual divorce petition as soon we came back from our trip". It was a sad news but he kept a brave face, "Krishna was always right. We were never meant to be together. Better late than never, I accepted the truth".

"How could it be possible? You were so much in love with her", Mehek was aghast. "Indeed, I was but then it faded away. I should have realized it earlier", he looked guilty, "Perhaps, I was too afraid to be left alone", he chuckled mocking himself, "I always believed that Krishna's unwillingness was holding us apart but things became clear when she gave us a chance. We tried but we had only friendship amidst ourselves and sadly it wasn't enough to sustain our marriage".

"Am I the reason for your separation?", Mehek was feeling terrible. But he gave a small laugh, "don't give yourself so much importance Ms Sharma. You were never part of the equation". Mehek was relieved and embarrassed at the same time. "When we decided to take that trip as first step to revive our relationship, we both had let go off our pasts. It was literally a clean slate beginning", he sighed, "it all seemed well in the beginning but it didn't take long to understand that we were two good friends bound in a loveless journey".

While they continued to walk in silence, Shaurya spoke again, "We are still good friends. She is happy in her life and I am also doing good". Mehek sighed debating whether to tell him about her life. She didn't want to appear as an enticing invitation. "Have you ever thought about us?", he asked softly. Mehek shrugged, "I believed you were settled with Krishna". 

"Are you happy?", he asked again. This time she was confident, "Yes, I am. The café . Anaya. My friends. Eventually it worked well for me", she told him. "What about the man in your life?", it looked like he wasn't going to leave her. Yet to have one, she wanted to tell him but she just checked her watch and stood up, "I better get going".