24. Touch Down

As soon as his vehicle reached hospital, Shaurya ran out of it and dashed inside the building. His heart was beating miles per hour since the moment he heard about Mehek's condition. He was quickly led to Mehek's room. Abhi and Ajay were outside. He feared the worst sensing their dismay. He barged into the room where Sonal and Doctor stood beside Mehek. Dr Juhi faced him and sighed, "I am sorry. I tried my best but we lost the baby". She patted his shoulder lightly. After casting a sympathetic look on them, she exited. Ajay and Abhi remained at the door, yet were aware of the sad news.

Mehek laid weak on the hospital bed. The moment she dreaded the most has arrived. Shaurya is aware of her miscarriage. She wasn't afraid of his wrath but agony. She could fathom his pain since she was aware of his attachment towards his child. Once the news was broken to him, Shaurya remained still but his eyes teared up. Beyond her physical pain, she was broken to witness his condition. "So you killed my child", he said softly but those words were enough to wound her deeply.

"It was an accident. Mehek didn't do anything deliberately", Sonal jumped into defend Mehek. Sensing the situation, Ajay and Abhi walked in. They were afraid that Shauyra may harm Mehek. "Is it so Mehek?", he accused her and she was unable to reason his tearful eyes. "You killed my child for your revenge. Nothing could be more punishing for me than death of my child", he raised his volume so high that Ajay rushed to stand between him & Mehek while Abhi tried to put some sense into Shaurya. 

"Please stay calm, Mr Khanna", Abhi requested him. Shaurya looked at him and then Mehek, "Wow, your lover boy is here. You spared none but him. You still love him, don't you?". Mehek was aghast but couldn't gather her words. "Now that your revenge drama reached its climax, you can return back to him. How convenient. Well, I wish you deserve him so I wish both of you all the best", with those words he walked away.

"Shaurya", Mehek called feebly as he moved away from her. But Mehek became mum when she saw a female figure appear at the door. "Krishna", Shaurya called out and ran to her arms. He wept against her chest, "She killed my child, Krishna. I lost everything. She ruined it all to get even with me". Krishna held him closely and let him pour out his sadness, "I am here for you Shaurya". Words were stuck in Mehek's throat as she watched Shaurya seeking comfort from his wife.

Mehek realised that she has lost Shaurya. In fact, he was never hers. For him, Mehek was his child's mother but now she is the murderer. She has shattered his hopes while Krishna was providing him solace. Painfully, Mehek realised that she was none in his life. She had no role amidst the couple who found eachother again. She didn't utter a single word and looked on helplessly when Krishna took him away. Perhaps her misfortune will push them to stay together, support one another. Tearfully, she wished Shaurya all the happiness.

Once again, Mehek felt hollow and numb. She had won her fight but in due course of winning, she lost something precious. She was angry at her ill fate and Abhi's presence added fuel to it. "Leave!!!", Mehek barked at Abhi. "Mehek, be civil", Sonal rebuked her, "If Abhi hadn't brought you here on time, then I don't how fatal your condition would have been". Ajay was not so happy with Sonal's behaviour but he knew it was truth. 

Mehek was trying hard to control her sobs. It killed her that she was saved by Abhi's mercy. She folded her hands before Abhi, "Thanks for saving my miserable life. But I wish I have not survived due to your kindness". All of them were heartbroken by her sorrow. Ajay quickly hugged Mehek who wept bitterly. Sonal felt bad to have scolded Mehek.

"What is my punishment, Mehek?", Abhi asked in dismay. It was hard for him to see her condition. "Not now Abhi", Sonal warned him while Ajay was trying hard not to smash his jaw. "I need to know. Tanu, Aliyah, Shaurya...they all paid for their deeds. Now it's my turn. What is my punishment, Mehek?", he asked again. Mehek pulled away from Ajay but didn't reply.

Abhi knelt beside her and begged, "Please punish me severely, Mehek. I don't deserve any mercy from you". Mehek smirked at him after wiping away her tears. "You are already serving your sentence, Mr Abhishek Mehra. For you, it is lifelong regret. You can only watch helplessly, but cannot help your dear ones", Mehek took a deep breath, "Just like you simply stood and enjoyed my plight". "Please forgive me", he begged her but Mehek turned away her face and held on to Ajay.

"I never wanted to harm my child", Mehek hugged her stomach and wept against Ajay. For the first time, they heard her considering the baby as Hers. Alas ! it was late. The innocent angel was taken back to heaven before being born. "I didn't kill my child", she went on wailing. "I know, Mehek", Ajay wiped her tears, " we all know it. Shaurya will also realise it", he consoled her. "Will he ever?", Mehek was anxious. "He is now angry and sad. Let him calm down then he will for sure see the truth", Ajay tried to give her hope. 

But Mehek was not ready to wait. "I have to talk to him. Take me to him", Mehek was desperate, "I need him to know the truth". "Why??", it was Sonal's voice, "why do you need his forgiveness? Are you afraid that he will harm you?". "No, Shaurya will never hurt me", Mehek was sure, "But I cannot bear his hatred. I don't want to lose him". She felt foolish not to have explained her side Shaurya.

"Mehek!!!", Sonal held her firmly, "come to your senses. Shaurya Khanna is married. All you both had was a child which is no longer alive. It's all over". Mehek remained stunned by her friend's outburst. Her eyes fell on Ajay as if begging for his support but he too agreed with Sonal. She could do nothing but cry on her fate. 

"Mehek, you fought for justice and won. All your culprits are punished one way or another. Let's just put a full-stop to it all. You have lost enough in this battle", Ajay grabbed her hands "come back to life, my friend". Sonal side hugged Mehek . Her friends both sat near her in silence while Mehek went on shedding tears. 

Abhi walked away after witnessing the heart breaking emotional scene.