26. All is Well

Mehek parked her car and waited before the kindergarten. Soon the bell rang and kids walked out of the building. "Ma", a cute girl ran to her and hugged her tightly. "I missed you, Ma", she pouted. "I missed you too, Anaya", Mehek kissed her chubby cheeks. She placed Anaya in child seater and fastened her seat belts. "Will you tell me the remaining story of the princess tonight, Ma?", Anaya asked. "Mamma got to work late tonight. So I need to leave you at your Dad's office by evening", Mehek's  reply made her sad so she added, "But to compensate, the entire afternoon you are going to spend with Ma in our cafe". "Yippee!!!", Anaya was joyful.

Ajay's maternal uncle was besotted by his new daughter-in-law and helped Mehek to lease out a run-down café. It's location was apt and the café already had good clientele. With a bit of  marketing and lot of hard work, Mehek turned it into run a successful business. She always felt guilty to exploit their kindhearted Uncle. Hence she was determined to pay back every penny he had loaned her. Ajay as always stayed as her strong support while taking care of his own career.

Mehek glanced at her cutie pie. Anaya, the apple of her eye. She was favorite in their family and at her workplace. She haughtily walked around the tiny café like a trained waitress and helped her to take orders. It was peak season and Mehek had to work extra to keep up. So each day more people became her patrons. Mehek felt bad that she was unable to spend more time with Anaya. Both Ajay and Mehek got busy in their respective careers. Yet they tried their best to give Anaya the apt education and comfortable life. Mehek often worried whether they were doing the right thing but Anaya's smile always gave her consolation.

It was evening and time for Mehek to drop Anaya at her father's office. Both mother and daughter walked hand in hand towards Ajay's cabin. They have already made plans for weekend and was eager to share it with Ajay. In their enthusiasm, Mehek barged into Ajay's cabin without knocking and was shocked to find him kissing another woman.

Anaya was about to rush in  but Mehek pulled her back. "Anaya, why don't you get something from vending machine?", Mehek ushered her out after giving her some money. Meanwhile ,Ajay tried hard to hide his embarrassment and pulled away from the lady.

"Care to explain?", Mehek asked both of them boldly, "You were well aware that I will be here with Anaya". "It's not like what you think", Ajay replied. "How cliched?", Mehek mocked him angrily. While Mehek raised her eyebrows questioned the other woman, she looked at Mehek nervously and showed her ring finger, "He just proposed me.".

Mehek was stunned for few seconds then both ladies squealed on top of their voice. Ajay covered his ears while cringing at the sharp voice. "Congratulations, Deniz", Mehek happily hugged her and then turned sharply to Ajay, "You didn't even give me a clue. How rude!". "Technically, it was unplanned. I wanted to propose more romantically and bought the ring but today I just went impromptu", Ajay explained. "I wonder what gave you the courage", Mehek was curious. "This did the magic", Ajay forwarded a package to her, "we are officially divorced".

Mehek and Ajay were married but just before law. A sham to blind his family and officials. It was only on papers to get custody of Anaya. Ajay was completely honest with Mehek when he proposed marriage to her. Considering his desperation, Mehek agreed.

Years back, Ajay had met Deniz while was spending summer time with his Uncle. Deniz and Ajay, neither of them were serious about their relationship. They were just having fun. By the time Deniz realised about her pregnancy, Ajay was gone back to India. Being young, alone and confused, Deniz gave away her child to social services. When Ajay came to know about the truth, it was late but he was determined to get back his daughter. He wanted to bring up his daughter as a father. His family was against marrying a foreigner. Unless he had a wife and stable income, getting Anaya's custody was impossible. So he sought Mehek's support and they played a happy family for the world. Ajay family was relieved when he married Mehek rather than Deniz.

Ajay's uncle saw Mehek as a cultured Indian girl who shall reform his wayward nephew. He accepted her with open arms. His Uncle helped Ajay to set up his career and gave the newly wedded couple a comfortable house. Slowly Mehek & Ajay moved papers to get back Anaya. Authorities were convinced that they could provide a stable environment for Anaya and entrusted her to them. Mehek played role of mother to Anaya but for Ajay, she remained as a good friend. Deniz was also happy and started to date Ajay.

At times Mehek felt guilty to betray a fatherly figure like Ajay's uncle and other family members but for Anaya's sake she played along. "How will you break the news to your family?", Mehek asked them. Deniz looked at Ajay who spoke as if he had planned it all, "Telling the truth but in a particular way". He explained that Mehek should portray that she had caught Ajay cheating with Deniz and decided to end their marriage. "Technically, you are not lying. I was always sleeping with Deniz and never faithful to our marital vows", Ajay joked but Deniz cringed. Mehek punched him hard and then consoled Deniz, "Don't overthink, Deniz. Finally you are getting what belongs to you; a happy family".

Anaya rushed in holding many chocolates. "Mom. Dad", she addressed Deniz and Ajay, "see what all I got". Ajay lifted her up into his arms and kissed her affectionately. Deniz held onto his arms and they started to break the big news to her. Anaya was evidently excited about her parents wedding. Mehek looked at them adorably. She had to agree that her joker college mate has turned out to be great father. He is no longer an immature boy but a dutiful man. The way he fought to gain Anaya's custody may appear twisted but proved his dedication and bond to his daughter.

Like many times, Ajay & Anaya reminded her of Shaurya and her child. Her child whom she never cared until she lost forever. Shaurya whom she grew fond of but destined to part ways. She wondered whether they would have been happy like Ajay & Deniz with Anaya. But the answer was a clear, NO. Shuarya never loved her but his wife, Krishna. He was just respectful towards the woman carrying his child. Even Mehek herself was unsure of her feelings towards Shaurya. Yet she always wished things would have different amidst them. 

"Ma, I am gonna be the flower girl", Anaya jumped onto Mehek. "And you will be the cutest flower girl", Mehek kissed her while holding Anaya closely in her arms.