23. Marco...Polo

"Mehek, I still feel this is a bad idea", Sonal fretted, "a really bad one". Mehek pulled her closer while they walked along the staff, pretending to be one of them. They managed to sneak into Aliyah's pre-wedding reception. Shaurya had promised Mehek to help her be part of Aliyah's wedding but nothing solid came out of it. He kept on brushing aside her demands, claiming that they still have few more days for Aliyah's wedding. Yet for Mehek, it was clear that he was avoiding her. 

Shaurya assured Mehek that Aliyah will be punished for her ill deeds. She knew he was earnest but somehow she realised that he will aid her in his own terms. He has already planned to destroy business of Mehra family. It will be a huge blow for Aliyah but it wasn't enough for Mehek or for those whom Aliyah had destroyed. Justice will be served only when Aliyah is attacked at her most vulnerable point; when Aliyah loses her most precious.

Despite their comradeship, Shaurya always kept Mehek under his close watch. So she pretended waiting for him to help her. Yet through Ajay, she came to know about Aliyah's special pre-wedding reception. Only a handful of close friends and family were invited for the event. Sonal and Mehek managed to enter the venue as employees of the catering team. 

"We don't know how the evil witch will react? What if she attacks you?", Sonal was anxious. "I won't lose it, Sonal. This is my last move. Karma will strike her down. It's not just mine but for Bulbul's fight too", her determined words brought little solace to Sonal.

They were on the top floor, terrace garden were the event was supposed to take place. Mehek & Sonal were surprised that no elaborate arrangements were made. But they walked ahead and talked to the staff. "We are here to set up the slide-show for the couple. Can you show where the projector and laptop are available?", Sonal asked carefully. They looked at them suspiciously but showed the way. 

Once Mehek pulled out the pen drive, another staff came and questioned them. "Are you morons even part of the event team? Don't you know the reception has been shifted to ground floor?", he rebuked them. "Let's go, Mehek", Sonal pulled her up from the seat. "The lift it not working. Better take the stairs", he recommended and went back to mind his job.

Sonal and Mehek were hurrying through the stairs. "Mehek, slow down", Sonal warned. They were still many floors to cover to reach ground floor. "We need to hurry, Sonal", Mehek gasped for breath and lost a step. She felt down and grabbed her stomach. "Mehek, take care of yourself. Don't forget that you are pregnant. Let's climb down slowly", Sonal was anxious about Mehek's condition. Mehek shook his head and bit down the pain. "I am fine, Sonal", she picked herself up and dashed ahead. Finally they reached the ground floor. Both were shocked when they found Abhi at the door, greeting the guests. "Sonal, distract him. Then only I can get inside", Mehek asked her.

While Sonal managed to pull away Abhi, Mehek ran through the entrance. She came near the projector where already a staff was setting up the slides show. "This is a surprise from the Groom. Can you help me to play it along?", Mehek smiled at her. "But Mr Purab never told us anything about it", she was skeptical. "That because it is a last minute surprise. Ms Aliyah will be over the moon when she sees it", Mehek played her move.

It was evident to all that Aliyah was besotted with her fiancé hence the staff didn't further probe and helped Mehek to add the contents from pen drive. "Are you okay?", she asked Mehek in concern when she noticed her grimacing and grabbing her baby bump, "why don't you sit beside me?", she offered. Mehek was happy when situation fell in her favour and try to forgot her physical pain. She sat beside the staff while guests arrived and took their respective seats. None seemed to have noticed her presence.

Soon dinner started and for a while all were joyous. The lights were dimmed and slide show on Aliyah and Purab started. Few cute childhood photographs were projected, then teen footage and slowly the time arrived for Mehek to take charge. All eyes were glued to screen when suddenly the focus shifted to a video. It showed a woman in hospital room. Most guests wondered who she is, while Purab turned pale. "Bulbul!!", his eyes widened when he took her name.

"I love you, Purab", Bulbul spoke while looking straight into the camera, "I never betrayed you. How could I when I love you more than anything". Aliyah soon jumped from her seat and looked around in anger "Stop the video!!!", she yelled. All were baffled except Mehek. Bulbuls voice resonated again, "I only hid one truth from you", she slowly unwrapped scarf to reveal her almost bald head, "I have cancer", she sobbed. Purab gasped in shock, tears escaping his eyes. "I said stop playing it", Aliyah screamed and was about to charge on the staff but Purab roared, "Let it play". Aliyah froze while he firmly held her wrist so that she was unable to take another step.

"I am dying, Purab. It is hard to leave the world knowing that you are suffering because of me", Bulbul bit down a sob, "I never cheated you. The man whom who caught with me was my oncologist", Bulbul bared her truth, "Aliyah knew it all". "Liar!!!", Aliyah yelled to deny but Purab was not paying attention to her. Bulbul sighed as if recalling her ill fate, "Aliyah helped me to get treatment in secret. I trusted her and never doubted her intentions. By the time, I understood her true face, it was very late. She painted me as a wanton who slept around for gain". Bulbul was trying hard to hold her tears, "I didn't abort our child, Purab. It was side effect of the treatment. I am guilty of losing our baby while fighting for my life".

Purab was already broken hearing to Bulbul. Guilt, shame and sorrow were attacking his conscience. He didn't have heart to hear anything further. "Be happy, Purab", her last words echoed in his ears. He fell on his knees and grabbed his head in agony. "Purab, this is a sham. Bulbul is just trying to spoil our relationship", Aliya tried to persuade him. "Is it true?", it was Abhi who questioned Aliyah. 

Aliyah glared at her brother who has already switched sides. "Of course not. Just plain lies to spoil my wedding", Aliyah spoke firmly. "Just the same way Tanu was lying", finally Purab spoke. Aliyah looked at both men and then around the crowd. She felt as if each pair of eyes were accusing her. None even had an ounce of pity. They were accusing her. But she is Aliyah Mehra who never gave up, especially when she is so close to achieve her dream.

"I agree that I was not completely honest when it came to Tanu", she acted out, "I was trying to protect you, Abhi", she quickly turned to Purab, "But Bulbul is lying, Purab. She was cheating on you and aborted your baby". Abhi was hurt by her sister's words. He always trusted her blindly and today she broke her trust. Aliyah knew it but she was helpless. Purab was slipping out of her clutches and he was now her priority. 

"Are you blind, Aliyah? She is dying . Can't you see her suffering?", Purab asked her. It was evident that he was deeply hurt for Bulbul. Anger surged through Aliyah, sensing Purab's love for Bulbul. "Her suffering? What about my suffering? Why can't you see that I love you more than her or anyone else? I have gone to the extremes to have you", she shouted in agony while tears adorned her face. Unknowingly, she gave away her truth in anger.

Purab was shattered. He didn't care for Aliyah or anyone else. He wasn't angry on Aliyah but felt deep remorse about his own actions. He had none but himself to blame. His trust was too weak to sustain any trials. It killed him that he had failed Bulbul. How could he leave her alone while she was fighting for her life? Why did he overlook her innocence and let her be taken away? He was drowning in sorrow and guilt. 

"Please tell the truth, Aliyah. If you have loved me, even for a moment as you claim, I beg you to be honest", Purab requested her. Aliyah didn't utter a word but her silence spoke volumes. It was enough for Purab. He stood up to and looked determined. Once he started to walk away, Aliyah clung to his arm, "please don't leave me, Purab. I am sorry for everything but I didn't for us. I love you so much". Purab smirked at her, "You don't know the meaning of Love, Aliyah". She looked around for support but none,  not even her own brother came for her aid. She fell on the floor being broken.

Abhi had enough of his sister. His entire life he had tried to be her abiding little brother. But she was always manipulating him. He didn't even move a muscle to stop Purab when he walked away. He knew Purab will be leaving a devastated Aliyah behind but he didn't care a bit. Guests started to leave and soon Abhi too walked away from his sister, without sparing her another glance.

Once he reached outside, he saw Sonal who was desperately trying to get a ride while holding Mehek closely. "What happened to Mehek, Sonal?", he asked her anxiously. Sonal was alarmed when Abhi came near them. But as soon as she realised Mehek was losing conscious, she sought his help. "Abhi, please help me take Mehek to hospital", she begged him.