4. Turmoil

"It's not a big deal, if you think about it", Sonal advised although Mehek didn't seek it, "Afterall you love him. What could be worse? May be a memorable night with the man of your dreams. But if it turns positive, then he may accept your feelings for him". Mehek sighed as Sonal was not at all helping. Even though they were good friends, Sonal failed to understand her turmoil. Mehek wasn't shy but indecisive.

Mehek was not old school who believed s*x before marriage as a sin. Although from mediocre background, she was modern enough to have watched pornography and enjoyed it. She knew her body and masturbated to please it's needs. She had been in relationship before and had taken it to next level. She had lost her virginity to her first love and never regretted it. They were deeply in love and making love to him was culmination of their pure feelings. They would have been still together if he was not killed in an accident. Her broken didn't beat for anyone until she met Abhi.

Still it was difficult for her to indulge in physical relations without commitment or emotional connection. True, her feelings for Abhi are strong but still not enough to jump into bed with him. Moreover, her gut feeling pointed Ajay was messing with her. It was difficult to accept that Abhi will harbour a weird mindset. Sonal was too bold to have fun with Sandeep without any ties. Mehek never judged her but was wary to follow her suit.

"Most men are same, Mehek", Sonal clarified, "S*x is most satisfying act for them, be it out of Love or just Fun". "But Abhi is different", Mehek spoke softly. "May be", Sonal tried put forward her point, "May be not. Frankly speaking, I don't see anything wrong in it, if he wants to get intimate with women. He is now single and wants to have fun". Mehek was still not ready to accept her theory about Abhi

At Abhi's room.  Abhi was beating Ajay with a hard pillow while Sandeep was laughing at their expense. "You sicko! How could you degrade me infront of Mehek?", Abhi was angry. "Whoa Whoa", Sandeep stood before Ajay, not to protect him but being curious on Abhi's words, "You are worried about your image in Mehek's eye. That's surprising! Are you interested in her?". Ajay also shared the same curiosity. Besides, he was thankful to be saved him further beatings. 

"Ofcourse not. You know I am still not over Tanu", Abhi shook his head as if trying dodge the question, "And Mehek is close friend. Probably, the only good person in my friend's circle apart from you two clowns. So the despicable things this moron told about me to Mehek is unacceptable". He sat down and poured a glass of water. His frustration was evident. 

Ajay started to feel bad for his friend. "Yes, I accept but trust me when I say it will work. Mehek Sharma will now on remain just as your good friend", Ajay assured him. "What if it backfires?", Sandeep asked Ajay. "Then it will be explained to Mehek . I will accept it as my fault and take all blame.", Ajay told dramatically. "And I will use you as my punching bag for remaining life", Abhi threatened. "Me too", Sandeep added humorously.

The sour mood slowly faded away and trio went back to rehearsing for their show. In few days, they will be performing in the party arranged by Abhi's sister. Few hours passed until they needed a break. "Will Tanu attend?", Sandeep asked him while they sat to relax. "She is Aliyah's best friend. So answer is yes, she is expected", Abhi told sadly. Both Ajay & Sandeep knew it was difficult for Abhi. They wanted to cheer him up but knew it was in vain. 

"Man, do you know what I would have done if I were you?", Ajay told vehemently. "Not interested", both Sandeep and Abhi replied in unison. Yet Ajay went on, "I would have got a hot date for the evening and made Tanu jealous. She will then understand that there are many fishes in pond". "Shut Up!", Abhi was fuming. His friends looked at him being concerned. Abhi knew they meant well so he calmed and apologized quickly. "If Tanu doesn't want to accept me as I am then there is no point. Better to end rather than dragging our relationship through mud". They stood silent for few minutes, until Ajay spoke, "Let's get back to practice".

Next day in college, Abhi invited both Mehek and Sonal for the launch party. It was his first performance with lavish media coverage and he wanted his friends to be present to support him. "I am not sure whether I will be able to attend", as usual Mehek tried to withdraw. She was never a party person. especially high society events. "C'mon, Mehek. You have to come. After the launch of company's new venture, it will be our band's performance. If you want, you can leave once the show is over ", Abhi insisted. "But I must say the actual fun starts afterwards", Ajay winked. Sonal and Sandeep were already making plans to enjoy it. Mehek was wary so Abhi coaxed her, "It will mean a lot to me". Finally for Abhi's sake, she agreed. 

As they all were happily chit chatting, Mehek moved close to Abhi. "Abhi, can we talk for a moment?", she asked him nervously. He nodded but she looked around and spoke, "its personal". They agreed to walk away from rest of their friends. Once they were an earshot away from rest, Mehek talked to him. She wanted to know whether Ajay's words had any truth in them or just a prank. 

Abhi had dreaded this moment. He wanted to tell her truth and wanted to clarify that he considers her only as good friend. She will be shattered if he rejects her feelings. So he knew it will hurt her and probably make it difficult for her to face him or any of them. Mehek still didn't bare her feelings for him but just checked about Ajay's comments. Maybe she won't try to propose him if he paints an ugly picture of himself on moral grounds. He took a deep breath and lied, "Yes, Mehek. Ajay was not lying. It is true". 

It was evident from Mehek' face that she was shocked. Abhi felt bad for her. Yet consoled himself that it was better than a heart break. Mehek deserved someone who truly loves her and not someone like him who has already lost his heart to a worthless lover. His dear Flower needs a better man but not him. "See you at the party", he bid farewell while acknowledged him with a soft nod.