27. Encounter

Another day passed. Mehek was about to close the café when a late customer walked in. Although tired, she still tried to accommodate his request for a quick Latte. Unknowingly Mehek had always expected someone special to make appearance.  She didn't know whom, may be someone destined for her. A cliched romantic notion. Mayhap the main reason she remained disappointed till now. 

After taking care of the last order, Mehek locked her café and walked towards her home. Ajay and Deniz were getting married next week. Not many guests were invited but few family members and close friends. Sonal & Sandeep were expecting their first child hence unable to travel. She was happy for her friends  but somewhere deep down she felt lonely.

Mehehk still remembers the day when Ajay brought Anaya to her. In a moment, she became mother of a child whom she didn't give birth. From then till now, she played an integral role in her life. Although Mehek always knew that it will not last forever, she clung to it. Soon she will be living with her own parents. Anaya is a smart kid who will eventually realise that her Ma is just her father's best friend or worse his ex-wife

Mehek has managed to come out of her past. Ajay, Sonal, Anaya and her cafe, they all have helped her to regain her footing. Yet like an ungraceful cat, loneliness clawed her ego. It taunted her that she was a successful yet lone woman. She had no family, no boyfriend and no children of her own. Deep down it lingered to her past mistakes.

"You need go out more", one of her employees had recommended earlier. A subtle suggestion of having one night stand was evident in her voice. Mehek has laughed inwardly. She has had enough of 'one-night-stands'. Once she dared and suffered, but not anymore. It is true that staying cocooned in her comfort zone and brooding on overrated romantic fantasies will not do any good. She needs to meet people and go on dates. 

It's time for her to drop the walls that she had built so that she can color her life. Dark chapter was closed long back and she needs to come out of its aftermath. Her misfortunes have made her a better person. Mehek smiled recalling lyrics of one of her favourite songs. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! When one makes a mistake, you learn from it and move on.

Mehek walked around the corner and entered the old pub. It's time to start afresh. She had visited it earlier with her colleagues but never alone. She knew it's a happening place. It was a long day and she wasn't looking pretty enough for men to notice her. Yet she decided to give it a try. Long journeys too require a first step. She sat on the bar stool and order a pint of beer. She looked around and smiled to hide her nervousness while few smiled back at her. "Excuse-me?", a courteous male voice caught her attention.

Mehek froze looking at the man who stood before him. He had grown a beard and was looking rather plain in casuals but she recognised him immediately. "Mr Rai", Mehek took his name. He brushed aside her formality and sat beside her. "Please call me Purab", then he narrowed his eyes on her, "You are Mehek, aren't you?". She nodded nervously. "We haven't met in person but I know you. Abhi had showed me your photographs. You have changed a lot but guess I still have a good eye. Yet my Bulbul always used to tease me that I never pay attention", he laughed at his own humor. "How is Bulbul?", Mehek asked warily even if she knew the answer.

Bulbul passed away. Yet Purab was thankful for all those days they had spent together. When he found Bulbul in the nursing home, doctors had predicted that she had only few weeks or maximum a month of life. Perhap's it was Purab's love & care that adamantly kept her alive for few more years. They got married, travelled around the world and one day she died peacefully in her sleep while lying beside her beloved husband. 

"Bulbul wanted to meet you and thank you", Purab told softly. Mehek smiled vacantly. Bulbul was never aware of the favour she had unknowingly bestowed on Mehek. "Infact, I have missed to thank her. If not for her, I would have never fought for myself", Mehek replied. "To Bulbul", Purab toasted and she joined, "To Bulbul".