20. Love is at the Door

"Hope Ms. Sharma is delighted with the news?", Vikram threw the newspaper on Shaurya's desk. 'Tanu Mehta surviving from a massive car accident', he read it. "Tanu was drunk and driving. It was her own fault. Mehek didn't orchestrate her accident", Shauyra replied plainly. Vikram was taken aback that Shaurya was defending Mehek. Even though it is the truth, Mehek was indirectly involved in Tanu's downdall. 

"She is alive, isn't she?", Shaurya asked him. "Barely made it. Tanu may not be walk on her own for the rest of her life. Her body and face are damaged severely", Vicky informed. Although Shaurya didn't show it, he too didn't expect Tanu to meet such an ill fate. "How did Mehek feel about it?", Vicky was curious. "She doesn't need to know", Shauyra was protective about her.

"So Mehek didn't even once ask about the consequence of revealing Tanu's video?", Vikram was surprised. "She did and I informed her what she needs to know. She knows that Tanu's image and career are spoiled. Rest she need not know", Shauyra was firm. A why was evident on Vikram's face so he added, "Mehek may feel responsible and blame herself. I don't want her to suffer any mental stress". 

A small wow escaped Vikram's lips which gained him a glare from Shaurya. "I am doing it for my baby's safety", Shaurya added. "Ofcourse", Vikram mocked with a smile. Shaurya again glared at him but this time Vikram was also serious and asked softly, "Have you ever thought about a life with Mehek?". "What??", Shaurya was aghast, "No...Never...I just worry about my child".He was bit a hurt that his best friend could misunderstand him.

" You know Krishna is my only Love. None can take her place in my heart", Shaurya was adamant. "Yes, I know. But what if Mehek had made her own place in your heart", Vikram probed, "Besides, Krishna never cared about your feelings". Shaurya shook his head in denial, "Mehek & me, We are in a transactional relationship, Vicky. She needs my help and I want my child. Once she gives birth, we will part and never see eachother", he wanted to conclude the discussion. Shaurya looked at his watch and hurried, "I need to be somewhere". Vicky nodded and gave way to him.

"Aloo parathas from your favourite joint", Shaurya showed her the package and Mehek's mouth watered. "How??", Mehek was overwhelmed. The small shop was far from city limits and their stock would last hardly for couple of hours. "I have my ways", he told her proudly. He didn't reveal that he personally drove all the way and waited in queue to get her favourite treat. 

"Thank you so much", she grabbed the packet, kept it close to her chest for a moment. Soon she ripped off the cover to enjoy the contents. "Atleast put it on a plate, Glutton", he joked while she stuffed her mouth. "I couldn't wait", she mumbled while chewing the food. Shuarya shook his head with a sweet smile and walked to get her a plate. His phone range, indicating a call from Krishna but he chose to ignore it. After their last encounter, he had been avoiding Krishna.

Shaurya took a pinch of parathas from Mehek's plate. She slapped his hands and he faked to be hurt. "I can cook better parathas", he boasted to her while tasting from her plate. "No way, Shaurya. I am a trained chef. Even then I couldn't make better", Mehek remained a loyal customer. "Trust me, Darling. You will change your mind. It's my word", he challenged her. "Then I will get you a golden bangle", Mehek acted out. They both laughed enjoying their amicable moments.

Once she was done, he took her plate and kept it in sink. Mehek became thoughtful and spoke to him, "I read about Tanu's accident. It's everywhere on internet". Shaurya was taken aback but he knew it can't be kept away from Mehek for long. "Mehek, she is responsible for her own fate. You don't have to worry about her", he consoled her anxiously. "I am not worried", she told sadly, "Infact, I felt satisfied that she met with the accident". Her words were least expected by him. "I was never like before", as if reading his thoughts , she asked him earnestly, "Don't you think I am a bad person. Perhaps a rotten one. ".

Mehek smirked as Shaurya stayed silent. She stood up and walked towards the window to watch the night sky. While she stood lost, a pair of hands wrapped her from behind, "You are not a bad person but a naïve one who lost her way". She smiled, trying hard keeping her tears at bay, "Do you honestly think so?". Somehow she was desperate for his approval. "I know so", he tried to comfort her. She turned around and embraced him. He hid her in his arms while trying his best to give her comfort. "Don't let this hatred eat up your soul. You have to come out of it before it destroys you", he advised her. He knew it was easy to preach than practice but was happy when she nodded.

A few moments later, Mehek detached herself from him. As if trying to change the subject, she pointed out to him, "Your cloths are damp", then she felt his hair, "you hair is wet too". He grinned sheepishly, "It was drizzling while I was waiting in the queue. I couldn't move away and miss my turn to collect the food you crave most". Her eyes widened in realization that he went in person for her sake. She embraced him again but this time they both were laughing.

"Mehek, you don't need to fret", Shaurya complained when she forced him to dry his hair. She shushed him and dried his hair forcefully with a try towel. Her attitude and scolding reminded him of his mother. Unknowingly his mind drifted away to an image where Mehek was tending to their child. She being a strict mother but him as a doting father, he saves their daughter from wrath of her mother. He mused while a sweet smile played on his lips. His thoughts were disturbed by his phone. When he pulled out his handset, Krishna's name & photograph were clearly displayed on screen.

Mehek quickly withdrew from Shaurya. She excused herself and walked away, giving him privacy to talk. "Mehek", he tried to stall her but she shook her head. "You shouldn't avoid your wife, Mr Khanna. She doesn't deserved to be ignored", with those words, she left him alone. Shaurya didn't prefer to converse with Krishna as he was concerned with Mehek comfort. Yet he knew it was in vain to reason with Mehek. Their sweet time has come to an abrupt end.

Krishna had returned to Khanna mansion. She waited patiently for Shauyra's return. Past few weeks have been difficult for Krishna. She was used to his frustration, obsession and even infidelity but she was unable to cope with his indifference. Somehow it made her realise Shaurya's worth in her life. Finally when Shaurya returned home, she was all set to talk to him. 

"Shaurya", she addressed him but apart from a curt nod he didn't reply. "I am sorry for my behaviour. Please understand that I always wanted you to be happy. And if your happiness lies being in our marriage then I am ready to comply". Shaurya was left speechless as Krishna agreed to give themselves a second chance. "I am not sure whether I will be able to love you. But I promise to work on our relationship and be a good wife", with those words, she walked closer to him.

A strange pain spread over his chest. Finally when he achieved his most cherished dream, he was nervous. While Krishna was ready to give themselves another chance, he was neck deep in dishonesty. He had cheated her several times and now going to have a child from another woman. Somehow he was unable to feel even a bit of happiness. Krishna deserves better.

Shaurya sighed and stopped her, "Krishna, before you make any decision, I need to tell you something".