Chapter 1- (Picture of Persephone)

I slipped through the streets, lifting my dress to avoid puddles with black-gloved fingers. All heads turned to look at me as I walked down the cobbled roads. It might have been my fancy cobalt dress, my long black hair, or my full red lips. But I was betting that it was the elegant black mask that covered my eyes. Black vines crept over the edges and engulfed my face. It stood out against my pale skin.  But I didn't blush from all the stares as someone else might. I was used to all the eyes. I'd worn a mask for three years now.  At first it had been a little nerve-racking, everyone looking at me like I was a leper. But, after a couple of weeks, I stopped noticing the curious glances and peeks out of the corner of their eyes. So I just walked on, not caring.

~~~~~~~~ 

"Excuse me, sir?" I said.

The middle aged man turned around to look at me, probably expecting a beggar, asking him for money with grimy hands and mangy hair. When he saw me, with my pressed dress, sleek hair, and of course my mask, his eyes widened.

"Y-yes?" He cleared his throat. "Who are you?"

Choosing to ignore his second question, I replied, "I believe you requested my services, sir? The Baroness of Liktani's pearl choker?""

He seemed to be watching my red lips moving as I spoke instead of the actual words. After a moments pause, though, he seemed to understand my words.

"You are a messenger to the one who completed the job?"

Oh dear god. I should have seen this coming. When people see me, they have a hard time believing that I am the professional thief hired to steal for them. I don't look the part, mostly because I am a woman. They expect women to be at home raising the children, not sneaking into bedrooms and picking pockets. But it never fails to annoy me.

"No, sir. I myself retrieved the necklace.  If we could possibly go to a more private area to discuss the trade?"

He watched me numbly, overcome with the idea that I was the thief who had done his dirty work. I waited a few moments before prompting him.

"Sir? A more private location?"

He shook his head as if to clear his mind, and at last replied.

"Of course. We will go to my quarters immediately. Follow me."

He shook his head again before setting off down the streets.

~~~~~~~~~~

"You have the necklace on your person?" My employer asked.

We were sitting in his large living room on red velvet upholstered chairs. The ceiling was beautifully carved with woodwork I would have like to admire if I had been here for another reason. This man was obviously extremely wealthy. He had a plush carpet and heavy window drapes and we had to go through several rooms just as big as this one to arrive here. I wasn't nearly this well off, but I fit in. My gown was made from fine silk and had cost me quite a bit. I got back to the matter at hand.

"Of course sir. But I can't reveal it until I have my payment. Quite sorry, sir." Ha. Sorry indeed. These high and mighty men were as bad as the beggars. They would take what you had and run, if not forced otherwise. And I had no intention of being cheated.

"Of course. Though I don't know why you would want it..." He handed me a tightly folded slip of paper along with some money. I paid the money no attention, but I opened the paper examined it, then immediately slipped it into one of the deep pockets of my dress. I reached into my bodice and retrieved the pearls. His eyes followed my hand, and my lip curled in disgust. This man had to be at least forty, married, with children. I was nineteen years old. He was horribly vile. I handed him the necklace and stood up to leave.

"Goodbye sir." I said, and walked towards the entrance to the next room. I kept my hand in my pocket, fingering the large sapphire ring that had been on his finger just moments ago. 

_________________________________________________________

hey guys! if you liked this story, please vote for it =]

and keep reading, of course =]