Chapter 19: In Which There is a Twist

On Sunday, after Hikaru, Kaoru and I had watched the rest of To the Beautiful You, Hikaru and I were left alone for the most part. We played childish games all around the house, made cookies, drew while listening to music, watched TV, pretty much anything that we wanted to do. Kaoru spent the entire day out of the house with Mocha, and didn't come home until well past ten o'clock, when Hikaru and I went to bed. The next morning, my alarm woke Hikaru and I up, and for the third time in as many days, I really didn't want to leave the bed. I made myself, though, and I got ready, putting on my uniform, brushing my hair, brushing my teeth, etcetera. When we finally got into the car, Kaoru was there, and he looked like he hadn't slept a wink. "Hey, guys." He said, looking drained.

     "Kaoru, are you okay? You look drained." I asked as we pulled out into traffic on our way to school.

     "Yeah, I'm fine, just tired. I'll grab some coffee from the cafeteria before class." he replied, interrupted once by a yawn.

     "What time did you get in last night?" Hikaru asked.

     "A little after midnight. Mocha and I lost track of time, and suddenly, it was midnight, and we agreed that we needed sleep, so I walked home, and now I'm tired. But, I'll be okay. Don't worry." Kaoru replied, looking like he was trying to convince himself that he was going to be okay more than Hikaru and I.

     "If you're sure. Just don't be out so late on a regular basis, okay? You need sleep just like the rest of the human race." I replied. After a moment of silence in which I was fairly sure Kaoru nodded off, Hikaru asked,

     "Hey, so, what were you and Mocha doing that caused you to lose track of time?"

     "We were talking and telling stories and stuff. It was a good night..." Kaoru trailed off as if in some other world. When we got to the school, Mocha was waiting by the gates. She looked perky, but not as hyper as usual. "Hey, Mocha. You want to go and get coffee with me?" Kaoru asked.

     "Sure, sounds good!" Mocha replied, though not as enthusiastically as usual. Hikaru and I said goodbye and headed off to class, while Mocha and Kaoru headed for the cafeteria for their coffee.

     "Kaoru must really like her to have stayed out so late and losing track of time." I remarked.

     "Yeah, I think he does. I think she likes him too, though, so it's okay." Hikaru replied.

     "Hikaru?" I asked.

     "Yeah?"

     "Do you ever miss it just being the two of you? Without all of the crap that's happened since I arrived?" I asked.

     "No, not at all. You've changed the dynamic of the Host Club for the better, and I know that everything's going to be okay. Trust me. Before you, we thought that everyone else was just ignorant and useless in society. We thought we were superior, Kaoru and I. But now, you've shown us that we can be human, too. You've given Kyoya some humility, and you've given Tamaki a little girl to care for. You gave Honey and Mori-Senpai a little sister to care for, something that they haven't really had in their family dynamics, but it's a good thing that you came, or else we'd all be stuck in our old ruts." Hikaru replied, slipping his fingers through mine.

     "Hikaru, thank you." I said, grasping his hand just a little bit tighter as we walked into class.

     "AJ, I'm glad you're here. There's no need to thank me." he said as we sat down in our desks.

     "But, I will anyway." I replied with a grin. Kaoru and Mocha sat down a few minutes later, both clutching coffee like life preservers in chark-infested waters. They took sips almost in synch, and it was interesting to watch the transformation. They went from the undead to living in about two minutes, and then, they started chatting animatedly. The teacher walked in and set down his bag, and the class fell virtually silent as he started lecturing.

     About half way through the teacher's lecture, the door shook violently, stopped, and then was shoved open. It swung open hard, and slammed against the wall as two girls marched in, one who was extremely voluptuous, and the other looked like a kid. "Mocha! How dare you run away!" screamed the voluptuous one, her breasts so big they looked like Barbie had had plastic surgery. She pointed to Mocha, who looked shocked.

     "What are you guys doing here?" she asked, looking around. The teacher had looked shocked, and was now storming up to the big one, but all of a sudden, a pot fell out of the air and onto his head.

     "Don't try to interrupt her, teacher." said the small one as she flicked a toy wand in her hand and another pot fell onto the teacher's head.

     "Mocha, why are you in a human school?" asked the bigger one.

     "I don't want to go there anymore. Tskunai... just... leave me alone, okay? I'm fine, just leave me be!" she pleaded.

     "Mocha, Tskunai's messed up without you. Please, just come home?" asked the smaller one.

     "I'm happier here. Tskunai can deal with his decision." Mocha replied. "I am, so he should be able to as well. Just get out of here. You've badly disturbed the class, and you've possibly given the teacher a concussion." The entire class, as well as Hikaru, Kaoru, and I, watched the entire spectacle unfold.

     "Mocha, you have to come back. If you don't come willingly, we'll have to take you back by force." said the big one. She seemed to be the most talkative.

     "Mocha, please. I can't stand to see Tskunai like this." said a girl who I hadn't even noticed until she'd spoken. She had purple hair, and was sucking on a lollipop.

     "Mizuri, I can't. I'm sorry, but I can't." Mocha said, looking like she was about to cry. Kaoru suddenly stood up.

     "You three, you have no business in making Mocha cry. Leave, now, before I call campus security."

     "And what are you going to do if we don't, mortal human?" asked the child-like girl.

     "You'll be hearing from my lawyers. Now, leave!" Kaoru yelled, sounding more pissed than I'd ever seen him. Hikaru looked surprised, too.

     "Guys, leave. I can't go back. I don't want to, and dragging me back will only make me resent you. Stop this and leave." Mocha said. They all huddled, and in one motion, they left. The entire class errupted into talking, the teacher was sitting up, rubbing his head where the pot had struck him. Kaoru just looked sad and angry at the same time. His face, though, as I watched, went from full of emotion to calm in only a few seconds.

     "Mocha, do you have a boyfriend?" asked Kaoru, looking totally rational.

     "No, I swear, I don't. He was bad for me, and we broke it off, and now our friends have chosen his side. I promise, Tskunai and I are over." Mocha replied.

     "Are you sure?" asked Kaoru. "That didn't exactly sound like it was over."

     "I'm sure, you have to believe me. I don't care how much Tskunai resents his decision, because while he can't seem to live with it, I can. I promise,  Kaoru, I wouldn't do that to you." Mocha said, looking like she was on the verge of tears.

     "Oh, thank God." Kaoru replied, leaning over and pulling Mocha in for a hug. "I haven't known you for very long, but I already don't want to lose you."

     "I'm not going anywhere, Kaoru." she replied, hugging him too.

     Eventually, we got the teacher to the nurse's office, and the class settled down as the next teacher came in and began her lesson. I knew that everything would work out, after that. Kaoru seemed to have found someone special, and I had Hikaru, and vice-versa. I felt okay, and I couldn't wait for us to finish the day, go home, and start all over again tomorrow, Hikaru and I.

_____________________________________________

Okay, everyone. So, I am at a stopping point in the story, but I'm not so certain that I want this to be it for the Host Club of my imagination. I'm thinking of doing something for Haninozuka, and possibly even one for Tamaki, so now, the question is, new book, or continue as different parts and make this part one? I'll take votes on either one, if you want. Or, if you think this is a good ending, then that's an option too. Thank you so much for reading, and I apologize again for the inconveneint pause.