Chapter 12: In Which They Have Her Back...

Later that afternoon, Tamaki and I ended up going to a movie. He really was like the dad I never had. But, by the time the movie had ended, I was in tears. It was, of course, a romantic comedy, because Tamaki was trying to be nice, but at the moment, I’d have preferred an action movie, because the happy ending just made me feel bad. Tamaki, seeing his mistake, then took me out for some arcade games, and made me feel better just by laughing with me. It sounds like a date, but it wasn’t. It was more of like a day spent with a really good friend, but he acted like a big brother or a father figure when a couple of guys at the movie theater decided to wolf-whistle at me, or if people stared for too long. At the end of the day, I was exhausted, so Tamaki had the limo pick us up, and I ended up just playing the piano for old time’s sake while he listened, laying down on top of the grand piano and feeling the vibrations of the sound. When I was done, I laid back on the ebony piano bench, and we just kind of laid there until it got dark.

Once it had, I picked up my phone, and checked the messages. I had fourteen texts from Hikaru, twelve from Kaoru, and absolutely none from Kyoya. Great. The one that I’d picked first was the asshole. ‘Isn’t that the way, though?’ I asked myself as I opened the texts from Hikaru.

“Hey, how’s decorating Kyoya’s room?”

“AJ?”

“What’s going on?”

“AJ, are you dead? :P”

“Seriously, are you dead?”

“AJ?”

“Alexis Johanna?”

“AJ, I’m getting worried.”

“Please answer?”

“Answer!”

“AJ!? Where are you?”

“AJ, I know you aren’t at Kyoya’s. Where are you?”

“AJ, I’m going to call the cops if you don’t answer.”

“Seriously, AJ, where are you???” was the last text he’d sent… two hours before. I typed back a quick,

“I’m alive, and I’m with Tamaki. Kyoya’s an ass. Don’t worry, I’m good.” And then I scrolled through Kaoru’s twelve.

“Hey, why aren’t you responding to Hikaru?”

“AJ?”

“AJ, c’mon. Are you mad or something?”

“AJ?”

“AJ, Hikaru’s threatening to call the cops.”

“Now it’s a private detective to investigate your murder. Please answer at least him if not me too.”