Chapter 11: A Little Bit of Enlightenment...

Hikaru couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t because of the bed or the fact that the heater was up a little higher than usual, it was because AJ wasn’t there. He’d gotten used to her feminine softness beside him as a human teddy-bear, and she was no longer there to relax him. Instead, he had the muscular Kaoru, who was snoring slightly. Suddenly, from Kaoru’s side of the room, there were three brilliant, blue flashes, and Hikaru knew that there was a reason, now, for him to wake up Kaoru. “Kaoru, who just texted you?” Hikaru asked like a little kid.

            “I don’t know, the Pope.” Said Kaoru, sarcastic even only half awake.

            “C’mon, I’m curious.” Hikaru said. The glow in the dark flames on the bed made a little bit of illumination filter through the room, and the paint spatters on the ceiling allowed for a bit of Kaoru’s face to show through the darkness.

            “Then answer it yourself. I’m going back to sleep.” Kaoru replied, handing his phone to Hikaru. With fingers itching for something to do, he swiped the screen open to see it was a text from AJ. He smiled at the picture that was chosen for her profile on Kaoru’s phone. It was a still-life, taken while she was reading. Hikaru opened the text to see that she was asking if Kaoru was awake. Hikaru smiled, and replied, ““Yeah. Why are you? Thought you’d be cuddling with that one dude.” Hikaru knew from Kaoru that AJ hadn’t been completely faithful, however, he didn’t exactly care. He cared, it’s just that he realized that they hadn’t actually talked things through about that one kiss, and so, she wasn’t technically his, ‘Yet.’ Hikaru thought with a grin.

            “He doesn’t cuddle.” Was the reply. ‘Good.’ Hikaru thought. ‘He’s not touching her.’

            “Aw, AJ, he doesn’t cuddle?” Hikaru asked, faking pity.

“No. Don’t get mad, because seriously, it’s because I’M mad that I’m telling you this, but I’m in his bed, and there is like, the length of a child between us. A ten year old child. I feel cold.” Was AJ’s response.

“I know how you feel…” Hikaru mumbled aloud, staring at the screen. Instead of typing that, however, he replied, “Aw… you know, you could always come home.” A few seconds later, the screen flashed with another message.

 “I miss the heat. And seriously, what is with his laundry?”

“He’s a bit anal retentive… about EVERYTHING HE DOES.” Hikaru replied, almost laughing at the joke at his rival’s expense.

“So… does that mean that if I decorate he’ll just put everything back to the way it was when I’m done?” AJ texted.

“No. Because he will expect you to come over. He’ll live in a different room until you go over again.” Hikaru typed back.

“Seriously?”

“Seriously.” Hikaru replied.

“-.-“

“Hikaru and I send you cuddles and warmth. Now bury yourself in blankets.” Hikaru texted, keeping up the façade that he was Kaoru. “AJ? Did you freeze to death? Is Kyoya reading this?” Hikaru continued after a few seconds of textual silence.

“No, not quite. Kyoya’s getting me another blanket.”

“Seriously? Did you tell him you were cold?” Hikaru asked, trying desperately to sound like a friend instead of an insanely jealous guy.

“Yeah. And he told me he’d get another blanket. Completely oblivious.” AJ responded. Her frustration was Hikaru’s gain.

“I’m saying this as your friend, not your potential boyfriend’s brother, but dump him.” Hikaru quickly typed back.

 “He’s coming back, gtg.”

“Good luck with Mr. No-Contact. Don’t freeze to death because you won’t get a funeral. :P” Hikaru sent back, trying to be flippant. He put the phone back after erasing all of the messages, including AJ’s first text, because Kaoru would jump to answer her text, which would cause a lot of confusion and trouble for Hikaru. It was still so odd to have a love-rival for a brother. Maybe if they weren’t identical… maybe if they weren’t twins… but somehow, even though Hikaru had felt all of the loyalty in the world towards his brother, the moment AJ swept into his life, loyalty and anything else that had once been the norm had gone out the window for Hikaru. Mostly, he was just waiting for AJ to see that she wouldn’t be happy with anyone else but him. But then, there was Kaoru, who was a little more level-headed, and maybe she liked that in a guy. But then, Kaoru had bowed out, saying two rivals for a heart wasn’t worth it, that the pain of seeing her with someone else was better. And yet, he always stared at her. Always. It was the kind of stare that made girls’ hearts melt in movies, as well as in reality.

Hikaru was kind of scared, in all honesty, that he’d be tossed aside if Kaoru was the one AJ picked. Hikaru turned over, desperate for sleep to overcome him, and yet, nothing seemed to want to relax. Hikaru, desperate enough for sleeping pills at four in the morning, finally just imagined lying next to AJ again, having her warm breath on his cheeks, the dark stars overhead making the night sky come to life indoors. At around 4:30 in the morning, he finally dozed off, and dreamt of AJ holding his hand, walking him through a field, and then into a café, and everything was peaceful.

Now, unfortunately, the same could not be said for Kyoya. After the fight, the only time he’d lost his temper around a lady, he’d stayed up to punch a wall, which immediately broke like tissue paper around his skilled hand. He punched holes into all of the walls he could get his hands on, leaving a line of dots around the room that, if connected, could interrupt the building’s structure. Kyoya didn’t care if the roof fell on his head at that moment. He’d thought that the bed was enough. He’d thought that maybe, just having her close would be okay. But she wasn’t happy with it. That was why the fight about Hikaru’s personality had gotten so heated. Kyoya knew, he just didn’t want to point it out. And so, with a dejected heart and his father’s voice in his head saying, “Tsk-tsk, Son. You’ve done it again. You’ve disappointed me, as well as yourself. Couldn’t even hold onto the broken one.” Kyoya attempted to wave away the little show in his mind of his father standing with his hands in his pockets, looking at his son with the most disappointed face Kyoya’d ever seen. And so, with that in mind, Kyoya went to his father’s stash of cigars, found a lighter, lit it, and allowed himself to think of nothing but the smoky aroma he was producing by inhaling semi-toxic fumes into his lungs in replacement of air.

The night was long, but he never once thought to look for AJ, knowing that she’d get a ride somewhere. With Kyoya’s luck, it’d be with one of the twins.