Chapter 17: In Which the World Falls Apart and Gets Glued Back Together...

Later that day, it was time to go to the host club. Kaoru convinced Mocha to wait for him in the host club, and I was almost shaking as we approached. "G-guys... I don't want to do this. I don't want to face them. I just..." I was cut off by Hikaru, who wrapped an arm over my shoulder. Kaoru was quietly whispering to Mocha, so I assumed he was telling her what happpened. I was half pushed into the host room, and all activity stopped as soon as I did. Cups stayed raised only half way to lips, and all but one head turned to me. Kyoya. He didn't even look. I stepped boldly into the room, and walked over to Tamaki. I gave him a quick hug, then said, "I'm sorry, but I have to quit. Certain things have arisen, and so, I want to say goodbye. You're just like a father to me, Tamaki, and Honey-senpai and Mori senpai, you guys are the best. Kyoya... Kyoya, I hope one day you'll find someone who will change you for the better." I may have been a little over-dramatic, but it felt right, considering the fact that it was my goodbye speech. I hugged Tamaki once more, and then turned and began walking toward the door.

     "AJ-Chan! Don't go!" Honey-senpai said, running up to me.

     "I'm sure I'll see you around, Honey-senpai."

     "You'll be missed." Said Mori-senpai.

     "Thank you, Mori. You're awesome." I replied before turning to the twins. "See you at home?" I asked.

     "Are you sure you don't want to just wait in the library and go home with us or something?" Kaoru asked.

     "Yeah, I'm sure. I'll just walk. Thanks, guys. I'll see you, Hikaru." I said before quickly hugging him and walking out the door. I walked down the stairs and out the door, down the sidewalk, and into the city.

     All around me, the city buzzed with life, when all I felt like doing was dying. Or, at the very least, cuddling with Hikaru. All the way home, I felt terrible, but at the same time, I felt a little better. At least, I felt better until my phone rang. "AJ! Come home right now to Daddy! Daddy needs you!" Tamaki shouted into my phone. I could almost feel him straining to get to me through the phone line.

     "Tamaki, I can't be a host anymore. I just... it's too much pressure." I said, not feeling like talking to people or dealing with people. Even though most of my clients were absolute champions at kiss-assery, there were a few "macho" guys that treated me like a slave. I hated it.

     "But... But... I just want my little girl here." Tamaki was crying now. "My daughter is hurt and I can't seem to do anything about it, because I can't fire someone for being a jerk in their personal life, and all I want is my baby to come back!" He wailed. I sighed, not seeing much room to move either way. If I just hung up, I'd break his heart. If I went back, I'd break mine. I'd cry again in front of everyone, because it always hurts to be abandoned. Never in a million years would I want to deal with the person who only aggravates my abandonment issues, and yet, I didn't want to disappoint the friends I did still had.  I sighed again, and then said,

     "Fine. I'll turn around. But I'm not hosting anymore. I'm just a friend." I said, spinning on my heel and heading back. Luckily, most of the people were off the street, but I was still fighting my unwillingness to deal with confrontation as I trudged to Ouran Academy.

     "Yay! My baby's coming home! My baby's coming home!" Tamaki shouted into the phone. I once again held the phone from my ear, because I didn't need to become deaf at such a young age.

     "See you when I get there, Tamaki." I replied before hanging up. Sometimes, I wasn't so sure that he didn't HONESTLY think that I was his actual, blood-related daughter, but I was okay with that. If he wanted to be my father-figure, so be it. I was just glad someone cared about me enough to be that way.