Chapter Six: In Which Everything Begins to Crumble...

I wasn’t about to let go of his hand, and this was the best way to make sure he didn’t let go of mine.

“Huh?” he asked.

“Just drag me to your mother. I’ll pretend to be dead, and you ask her the best place to hide a body.” I replied with a giggle.

“She’d have a cow.” He replied with a laugh. “Jeez, you’re evil. Remind me not to cross you.”

“I’m known for my evilness…” I replied with a smile.

“Okay, I’ll drag you. Just don’t pretend to be dead, because Mom would probably have a heart attack.” Said Hikaru.

“Yay!” I replied. Hikaru dragged me down the hall, and started complaining how heavy I was to drag, because I was just dead weight, and I replied, “Then, pick me up. I know you can. I just don’t want to walk.”

“Okay.” And suddenly, I was no longer on the ground. I was standing, and then Hikaru turned around, and I was straddling his back. I decided to take it in stride.

“Onward Sea biscuit!” I yelled, pointing a finger.

“Who’s Sea Biscuit?” Hikaru asked.

“A horse in an American movie.” I replied.

“Oh. Neigh!” he said, impersonating a horse and then trotting down the halls, looking into rooms. Finally, we got to a big door with ornately carved wood panels, and I had to hold on tight while he knocked.

“Come in!” said a voice that sounded around thirty. Hikaru opened the door, and carried me into a giant office.

“Mom, I’ve found my new room decorator.” Said Hikaru.

“Oh really? Meaning I don’t have to change it on your whim anymore?” she asked. She didn’t look up from her work.

“Yep.” He replied with a grin.

“Well, how much is she asking to work for? And why is she on your back instead of walking?” asked his mom. She glanced up, hardly enough to really look, and then went back to her paperwork.

“I’m sorry, I’ll get down.” I said, letting my grip slacken, but Hikaru held on tightly.

“Mom, this is AJ, remember? She’s staying with us?” Hikaru asked his mom. She looked up again for longer, and then said,

“Just send me the bill, sweetheart, so glad you could stay with us.” And then went back to her papers.

“Is there a certain budget, Mrs. Hitachiin?” I asked.

“Yes. Please do stay under 200,000,000,000 yen. So kind of you to humor Kaoru.” She said. My mouth hung open. Obviously this was Hikaru, and she’d just said he was Kaoru.

“Mom, I’m Hikaru, remember?” he asked.

“Whatever you say, dear.” She replied, never once looking up. Hikaru carried me out of the room, and back to his own, where Kaoru was sitting on the bed.

“So, how’s it going with Mom?” he asked.

“Well, she mistook me for you again, but otherwise it’s good.” Said Hikaru.

“So, did he tell you about what we were talking about earlier?” Kaoru asked.

“Nope. Not a word. Decided to keep your trust.” I replied. Kaoru looked at me carefully before deciding, I guessed, that I was being truthful.

“Okay. Thank you, Hikaru.” He replied, looking worn out.

“Good news, though, I’m decorating this room now!” I replied with a smile, and Hikaru plopped me next to Kaoru. Hikaru sat on my other side. Kaoru smiled, and asked,