Grave Digging

Samantha's P.O.V.

        Scott just bolted out of the school, and of course I followed. I had no idea where Derek is, but wherever he is, that's where Scott's going. I quickly jumped in my car and drove to follow him. It didn't take long for me to catch up with him, but I still followed him. Scott plus Derek, not a good combination. Finally, Scott threw his bike down and threw his helmet to the ground as well, in front of my old house. I hadn't been here since that night. I stepped out and immediately felt my chest tightening, like I couldn't breathe. The whole night of the fire's memory flashed before my eyes. I quickly felt my fangs and claws come out, along with my eyes glowing bright. It felt like there was a huge weight on my chest and I was barely able to breathe. I started to breathe heavier and heavier, until I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. I quickly turned around to see Derek, with his hand still on my shoulder.
        "It's okay," he whispered to me quietly. I took a deep breathe and shifted back. Derek then disappeared again.
        "Derek!" Scott yelled. "Derek!" I notice the smell of blood, and it looks like Scott noticed too, because we both looked over to the side of the house and saw a fresh dirt mound. Suddenly Derek appeared out of no where on the front deck.
        "Stay away from her!" Scott yelled him. "She doesn't know anything!"
        "Yeah, what if she does?" Derek replied, jumping off the deck and walking closer to Scott. "You don't get it Scott, I'm looking out for you. I'm protecting Allison and everyone else from you."
        "Oh yeah? What about Sam, and Stiles?" Scott asked him.
        "Umm Scott, " I stepped closer. "We kind of chose to help you, and we weren't going to take no for an answer."
        "If you are looking out for me, and protecting others from me, why don't you take Sam away then?" Scott asked. I just froze.
        "You really want her to not help you? She grew up watching me learn to control it. She is the person you want by you to help you control it. Stiles on the other hand, you think your little buddy can just Google werewolves and think he knows all the answers now? You need to wake up Scott! You can't learn how to control it before tomorrow night's game, it's impossible."
        "Derek, he can learn, and he can play the game." I try to help, but it looks like he didn't even bother to listen to me. He just continued to glare at Scott.
        "Think about what could happen Scott. You're out on the field, the aggression takes over, and you shift in front of everyone." Derek picks up Scott's lacrosse stick and spins it in his hands. "Your mom, all your friends, and when they see you." Derek slashes the net with three of his claws, and Scott just looks shocked. "And everything falls apart." The stick is tossed in the air, Scott quickly catches it, and Derek disappeared. 
        "Why are you sticking around anyway?" Scott turned to face me. 
        "Um I don't know. I kind just felt like, hey I want to be able to see my two best friends everyday." I state the obvious.
        "I'm a monster though!" Scott exclaimed as he picked up his bag and threw it over his shoulder.
        "You weren't when I came, and I don't care if you are a werewolf or not. You are my best friend and I would rather die than see anything bad happen to you!" I just turn away from Scott and sit down with my back resting against a tree, staring at my house. After a little bit, Scott walked over to me, in complete silence, and sat next to me.
        "I'm sorry I yelled at you." He apologized to me, sincerely.
        "It's okay, you are just stressed about all of this stuff going on." I accept his apology, still staring back at the house.
        "You know, sometimes I forget you have to deal with this everyday. That all you have left is your brother, even though he can be a pain the ass most of the time." Scott chuckled when he said the last part, making me crack a smile.
        "Well I've still got Uncle Peter, but he hasn't spoken a word since the night of the fire. I've tried for hours to get him to talk, but he can't. And you are right, Derek can be a pain, but that's what brothers are supposed to be like. You just have to learn to deal with it, and besides, Derek isn't actually all bad. You just haven't seen his good side." Scott took my hand and I looked over to see him smiling at me
        "Want to head back over to my place, I've got to fix my net that your brother slashed." Scott asked me.
        "Sure," I smile back. He helped me up to my feet. He was headed to his bike but I was quick to respond with, "Nope, I'm driving. It's the least I can do in return for my brother slashing your net. Put your bike in the car." Scott did what I told him, and we drove back to his house. When we arrived at his house, Scott immediately asked me, 
        "Did you notice the fresh dirt mound by your house?"
        "Yeah, it was pretty obvious, it stood out like a sore thumb."
        "I think I smelt," but Scott stopped talking as he sat on his bed.
        "Smelt what?" I asked him curiously as I sat next to him.
        "Blood, and lots of it." He answered me, completely serious.
        "Want me to call Stiles?" I ask him.
        "Yeah, I got to fix this stupid net." He gestured to his lacrosse stick. I walked out of the room for a second and told Stiles to come over, that it was important. In a matter of minutes, the two of us heard the door slam open, and Stiles running up the stairs.
        "What did you find? How did you find it? Where did you find it?" Stiles yelled out of breath as soon as he got into Scott's room. "And yes, I've had a lot of adderall, so." Stiles said as he blinked his eyes a bunch, very weird.
        "We found something near Sam's old place."
        "That is freaking awesome, I mean seriously." Stiles said, a little too happy.
        "Not quite sure about that. We don't know if its the other half of the girl or some animal. You never know, it's Derek. He could have buried anything." I say to Stiles.
        "Like what? A puppy?" Stiles very sarcastically asked me.
        "He didn't kill anyone!" I yell. "I know he didn't."
        "We still need to find out what's there, before tomorrow nights game. Because there's no way I'm not playing that game." Scott says as he stands up and throws his lacrosse stick on the bed, with the net all fixed. We left, and in minutes the three of us stepped out of Stiles's jeep and into the hospital. Stiles gave Scott and I a nod, and the two of us sneaked into the morgue as Stiles kept watch. 
        "You really think Derek didn't do it?" Scott whispered to me as we searched for the right box.
        "I know he didn't, trust me. I know everything my brother does, it's creepy." I said as I checked one of the tags on a box. "Here Scott." The two of us slid it open. I could see Scott's hand shaking as he lifted the cloth covering the body and flipped it up a little. 
        "I've got the scent," Scott whispered to me, like he was about to throw up. 
        "Alright, let's get out of here." I tell him. Just before he covered up the body half completely, I quickly stopped him. "Hold on Scott," I say to him.
        "What? I've got the scent, can't we leave?" He argues with me, still whispering.
        "Scott, I know this tattoo." I tell him as I point to a tattoo by the body's left heel. "It's not a very common tattoo to get."
        "Are you saying you know this person?" Scott asks me curiously.
        "I don't know," I answer him. "Let's just get out of here, it's probably nothing." He nods at me, shuts the box and we were out of there in seconds. We slipped back out into the main hall. Just as we were rounding the corner, someone bumped into me and fell on top of me.
        "Jesus!" I yell, now on the ground. "Get off of me!" I get a good look of the person on top of me, it was Jackson. "Didn't you hear me? I said get off," I growled as I pushed him off of me. Scott and Stiles helped me up to my feet as Jackson remained on the ground holding his shoulder in pain. "Oh you big baby, get up." I say annoyed as I offer Jackson my hand. He takes it and I pull him up to his feet. Lydia comes rounding the corner to see Jackson in pain.
        "Jackson? Is everything all right?" Lydia asks him concerned.
        "Yeah, just a misunderstanding." He moans just before Lydia starts making out with him on the spot.
        "Oh Lydia, not the time or place."  I shake my head in disappointment with my arms crossed. "Guys, I'll meet you in the Jeep." I tell Scott and Stiles. The just nod at me and walk out to the parking lot. Lydia stops making out with Jackson and just smirks at me.
        "You'd be doing the same thing if you only told Scott how you felt." Lydia whispered to me.
        "I would not be making out next to the morgue where all the dead bodies are kept," I state as I turn towards the front doors and start walking to the parking lot.
        "You're hanging out with us after the game tomorrow, remember that." Lydia yelled at me.
        "I don't think I have a choice!" I laugh as I wave to her. I got in the Jeep and Stiles drove to my place so I couldchange and him and Scott could grab the shovels. As soon as we all got what we needed, I drove the Jeep this time to my old house. We parked a ways away so Derek wouldn't see us. We waited for almost an hour, then we finally saw him leave in his car.
        "Now," Stiles tapped my shoulder. I drove up in front of the house and we grab the shovels from the back of the Jeep. 
        "So what do you think Derek buried this time? A squirrel, groundhog?" Stiles joked as we got next to the dirt mound.
        "That's a pretty big groundhog Stiles," I laughed. I looked over at Scott, and I could sense something was wrong. "Stiles, get started. I need to talk to Scott for just a second." He just nodded at me and started digging. I set my shovel, and Scott's shovel on the ground and the two of us walked away from Stiles. "Hey what's wrong?" I ask Scott, worried.
        "I just, there's something different about the scent. I can't quite put my finger on it though."
        "Yeah, the scent is different." I agree with him, but immediately realized what I just said. "I mean the scene, sorry about that. I just had this feeling like something was different. Did you realize the area around it was different, like more worn down?"
        "Yeah I kinda noticed that too." Scott agreed. 
        "You guys sure are a lot of help!" We heard Stiles yell, exhausted. "Like I mean, gold star worthy. You guys deserve a freaking trophy for best help of the year!" I just laughed and nudged Scott to help Stiles. We walked back over and the three of us started digging together.
        "You guys, I just thought of something. What do we do if Derek comes back?" Scott asks as he stopped digging for a second. 
        "You know what, I've got a plan for that." Stiles said to him.
        "And what's that?" I ask him curiously as I stop digging.
        "You run one way, I run the other, while Sam deals with her brother." Stiles answered as he began digging again.
        "Wow Stiles, that sounds like a great plan!" I exclaim. "What are you and Scott going to do after Derek rips my throat out with his teeth? Hmm?" I ask him.
        "Like I said before, Scott runs one way, I run the other, whoever he catches first, too bad." I just laugh in complete disbelief.
        "You'd really let Sam die? And me for that matter too?" Scott asked him surprised.
        "It's not like he is going to come back Scott! Alright! So we don't even have to worry about it. Now shut up and keep digging." I just laughed as I grabbed my shovel and began digging again. After what seemed like forever, Stiles quickly said, "Woah guys! I think we finally got something." We threw our shovels aside and bent down to uncover, what looked like a blanket. "What did he have to do? Tie the thing in 50 million knots?" Stiles complained as he struggled to untie the string.
        "Here, let me get it." Scott offered. As soon as we got the knots undone, we lifted the blanket and the three of us screamed as we jumped out of the hole.
        "Jesus Christ!" I screamed, placing my hand on my heart. "I swear to God I just had a minor heart attack."
        "What the hell is that!" Stiles yelled.
        "It's a wolf," Scott answered him.
        "Scott, I thought you meant you smelt human blood, not wolf blood!" Stiles exclaimed, pointing at the dead wolf. 
        "Well I told Sam something was different." Scott defended himself.
        "Well you didn't tell me!" Stiles exclaimed again. "We've got to cover this up."
        "Agreed," Scott says to him. Just before Scott and I are about to jump back in the hole, Stiles says to us,
        "Hold on, you see that flower?" He asks us, pointing past the hole at a purple flower.
        "What about it?" Scott asks.
        "That's wolfsbane." I answer him.
        "What's that?" Scott stupidly asks.
        "Haven't you ever seen The Wolf Man?" Stiles asks him, completely surprised for the fact Scott doesn't know what wolfsbane is. Scott just shakes his head no. "Clawed Reins? The original classic werewolf movie?" Stiles exclaims. Scott continues to shake his head no.
        "Know what?" Scott yells at him.
        "You are so unprepared for this." Stiles shakes his head in disappointment. He walks over to the wolfsbane.
        "Yeah, just a little out of breath." I answer back with a smile. Stiles grabs the flower and picks it up, but a rope is tied onto it. I tilt my head, curious as to why a rope was tied onto the end of it. Stiles continues following the path where the rope is leading to. The way the rope was arranged was in a spiral.
        "Stiles," Scott seriously says. Stiles looks back down in the hole, and is speechless with his mouth wide open. I stand up and start backing up rapidly, mouth wide open is shock. "Sam!" Scott calls my name extremely worried. "Sam what's wrong? Talk to me Sam." Scott grabs my arms.
        "I know her Scott," I said in shock.