Chapter 4

Waking up early in the morning to go to work, that is what both of them do everyday. Today, it's different. The director is expecting the both of them in his office for the official briefing and instructions, and in order for them to meet each other. At exactly 9 in the morning, Melissa decided to start driving so that she'll be able to get ready in there. Chris on the other hand, is already waiting, he is sitting in one of the benches in the office.

"Agent wood," said the director when he noticed him. "You're early. My instruction was 10 in the morning. But I appreciate it. Maybe we could start early if Agent Benoist is early as well. For now, you may stay in my office."

Chris smiled and nodded.

Melissa, on the other hand, just arrived their station. She stared at the huge building in front of her with the 'FBI' sign, and looked at the very top building and thought, "It really doesn't look suspicious that on top of this very building is the secret part of this organization. Still can't believe I'm a part of that. I'm a secret agent, gosh."

Once she was inside, she immediately went to the directors office. She knocked. "Benoist."

She entered and saw the director, sitting and talking with an agent. "Good morning, sir."

The director looked at to her and smiled. He stood up and motioned the agent, Chris, to stand up as well. "Good morning, Agent Benoist. It's still 9:30 am, we can start early though if it's fine with the both of you."

"Sure." Both Melissa and Chris said in unison. The director motioned them to sit down.

"So," started the director. He sat down and sighed. "This is the day. Before anything else, I would like to introduce you to each other. Agent Benoist, this is Agent Wood. Agent Wood, this is Agent Benoist. Surely, the both of you will be able to know more about each other because you'll be staying at the same house until the case is solved. Before I proceed, any questions?"

Chris looked at Melissa who is now looking at her hands then looked at the director and shook her head. Chris then shook his head as well and softly said, "None, sir."

The director nodded. "Let's proceed. My expectations from the both of you. Without pressure, Agent Benoist, you are the most experienced agent between the both of you so I expect you to know the rules already, to be able to guide Agent Wood while he's still adjusting. But I also expect you, Agent Wood, to help your partner as well in many things that you've learned. You both know what I am talking about, am I right?"

Both of them nodded, a sign for the director to continue. "Let me just repeat the undercover. The both of you will be living in the same house. This house will have all the equipments you'll need, including every item there is in a house. There is one bedroom to avoid any suspicion, if there will be any. The bedroom is on the second floor of the house and there is a secret door that only the both of you will be able to enter because of it's security lock, I am pretty sure you'll be able to find it, Benoist. That secret door will lead to a staircase that will lead to an attic, which is pretty big, just enough for you to be able to work. In terms of undercover, you'll be using your own names because as you know, we're a secret department, which means we technically don't exist unless we use our real badge. So, we can't make you undercover as a married couple, we didn't have the time to prepare for that and to make the papers. Instead, you'll be a couple; not yet married but lives in the same house, and you'll be undercovering as normal cops. We've contacted a station there that helped us get you a temporary badge just until the case is solved so that if someone calls that police station, they'll recognize you. All good?"

There are a lot to absorb. Melissa knew most of what's happening so even though she's zoning out sometimes of thinking too much, she still knows what to do. Chris, on the other hand, is listening to every word.

Melissa stood up. "What time are we suppose to travel, sir?"

The director thought for a moment. "It's supposed to be in the evening. It's still early. We started early and as of now, it's still 10:30. But I have more things to discuss."

He started talking about the story of the case, which is way too long. The story is that there's either someone or a group of people that hacked the President's official computer and after a few years, people started going missing and there were more cases of murder and death. They thought before that it was just a spike in crimes but soon enough, they noticed the same pattern, there's hacking in the phones and gadgets of the people they've been getting/kidnapping or killing.

Melissa and Chris got nervous. What are they entering? Melissa sighed and looked at her hands. Chris look at the director then Melissa. The director looked at their reaction, he knows they're both afraid.

"Agents," he said, gaining their attention. "I know both of you are scared. I am and will continue to try helping you without blowing out everything we've planned. I will protect the both of you with all the power I got. Now, please, please avoid calling, texting, or even interacting with your close ones, your family and friends on your personal phone because these people are obviously expert in hacking and they might be able to find you and your intentions. It's just for your protection and your family's too."

There was a moment of silence in the room.

"Are we really not allowed to?" Melissa suddenly asked softly, barely audible.

Both Chris and the director looked at her. She's looking down. The director assured her. "Yes, Agent Benoist. It's for the protection of your identity and your family. I assure you that they'll be fine."

Chris and Melissa nodded, both of them unsure of what to do next with their personal lives.