Chapter 10

Melissa groaned in her sleep making Chris stop from thinking. He touched Melissa to wake her up but he felt her skin hot; she has a fever.

"Melissa," Chris shook her a little to wake her up. "You have a fever."

Melissa woke up with her head aching. "Hmmm. My head hurts." She coughed.

"Are you okay?" Chris asked, helping her to sit up. Melissa coughed.

"It might be psychogenic fever," Melissa said after a few moments. "I usually have that when I get stressed or when anxiety hits. I'll be fine."

Chris nodded but worry is evident in his face. "I'll bring you some lunch. Do you want soup? I'll try to cook for you or I'll just buy some."

Melissa nodded and rested her head. "Thank you. Soup would be nice for dinner but you don't need to, I'll be fine."

"No, no, no," Chris replied, standing up to get some food. "You're sick. You should eat some soup so that that psycho whatever fever you call that will go away immediately."

Melissa smiled and nodded.

Chris came back with two plates in his hands. "Here."

Melissa looked at the food. It's chicken sandwich and salad. She ate some with the energy she has but wasn't able to eat more than three bites of the sandwich.

"Is my cooking bad?" Chris asked, pouting.

"No! No. It's not," Melissa smiled then inhaled. "I'm just full. I am too scared to just puke it all out. I don't even know if your cooking is bad, I can't even taste anything."

Chris looked offended, jokingly. "What do you mean? The food I cooked doesn't have a taste?" He pouted causing Melissa to smile once again.

"Shut up," Melissa smiled. "I think it's good."

Chris nodded and took the plates downstairs. He went back and saw Melissa sitting on the bed, her head resting on the headboard while her eyes are closed; she's sleeping. He contemplated whether to let her sleep uncomfortably or fix the way she's positioned but then he heard his phone ring. It's the director.

"Sir," greeted Chris. "Good day sir."

"Good day, agent Wood. I just want to ask how you two are doing." He said.

"We're good, so far," Chris started. "The building that we went to is a hotel, we saw the 'boss' that they're referring to and the person that he trusts, apparently. We heard them talking and they said they'll go to Los Angeles where they tracked someone there. That's all we got, sir."

"Good work. Where is Agent Benoist? Is she with you right now?" The director asked.

"Yes, sir, Agent Benoist is currently asleep. She's sick, sir." Chris replied.

"Oh. Tell her I hope she gets better soon. Goodluck on your mission, agents. Take your time but remember to not be late. Let Benoist rest to regain her energy, don't let her work and fight this mission if she's sick." The director adviced. Chris said his goodbyes and looked at Melissa who is now awake.

"Good job in reporting what we saw and heard," Melissa smiled. "I knew you were smart, silly."

"I learned it from the best of the best agent." Chris said.

"Mhm." Melissa replied, she closed her eyes and coughed a little. She fixed her position. "I'll go rest for a bit. Can we just go back to work tomorrow?"

"If you're better, yes," Chris replied before covering Melissa with a blanket, it's cold. "Even the director told me to not let you work if you're still sick. I wonder why. I wonder if Agent Benoist goes to work even when she's sick."

He heard Melissa chuckled softly. "I do."

Chris tried his best to avoid any noise but then there was a notification from Melissa's phone, the phone given by the director. Melissa woke up and checked it. She called Chris to take a look at it.

"Who's that?" Melissa asked, she's still not in a perfect condition to think straight.

There's a man in front of their door, looking around and finally decided to ring the doorbell. Chris looked at Melissa who has her brows furrowed. "I'll talk to him." Melissa wasn't able to argue.

Chris went down, phone in hand. Before going down, Melissa told him to open his voice recording just in case, which he did. The man is standing, dressed in a formal suit and a suitcase in hand.

"Good day, sir," Chris started. "Do you need anything?"

"Oh, hello there," said the man. "Just wanna ask some questions."

Chris nodded with a confused look on his face. "Let's just go out here at the porch sir."

"Why? What's inside? Oh wait that's too rude of me. I'm sorry. It's your home, you need privacy," said the man and chuckled before continuing. "And you don't know me."

Chris nodded.

The man suddenly realized. "OH! Wait, that's so rude of me. I haven't introduced myself. My name is John Williams, I am here to ask you some questions. Just a survey, you know. I've asked a few other houses who are new in this area and that area and that but you weren't here yesterday."

Chris nodded. "Uh, can we start now sir?"

"Sure thing, of course, let's," John replied. "So, may I ask what your name is?"

"Chris."

"I'm not gonna ask your last name, you don't seem to comfortable with it. Now, may I ask who's with you?"

"Melissa."

"A girl! What's your relationship? Wife?"

"No, we're a couple. We're living together but we aren't married yet."

"Oh nice. I suggest you get her hand and bring her to the altars now! I hear the wedding bells! Alright, that's it for now. I just technically did a survey to see how many you are in a house. Thank you for participating, Chris." John said and stood up. He shook Chris's hand and went away.

Chris looked at his phone when he's sure that John's out of sight already then stopped the voice recording. He went back inside to check on Melissa.

---

Just a simple, chill chapter for now. :))