07 - rainbow fields

✦✦✦

A brand new home for a brand new year.

Sky sighed a little dramatically, as she dragged her suitcase out of the unit. The moving truck arrived just in time when she reached the lobby of the apartment building.

"Yoo Jeongyeon!!!!" 

She nearly fell backwards when a weight landed on her slim figure, someone she least expected jumped on her and hugged her tightly.

"Chaeyoung-ah!"

The smaller, blonde girl squealed, blinking her eyes cutely. Sky scanned her from head to toe, realizing how long since she last saw her.

"You look-" she paused, as another person came barging in heavy footsteps behind her friend.

"That's..." Chaeyoung said, her voice cracked. She rubbed her temple nervously, quickly averting her gaze from her.

Sky brought her hands on her chest, her mouth went agape as she stared at the familiar-looking guy by the entrance.

The three stood awkwardly for a minute, until the movers made way inside, interrupting the silence. "Excuse me, Miss Yoo?" 

"O-oh, h-hi uh, I'm sorry. The door is open upstairs, we can uh," she stuttered, her breath hitched. 

Chaeyoung forced a smile, turning to the guy. Their eyes met and Sky happened to see it before she got on the stairs with the movers.

She felt agitated, and her knees began to tremble. What is that asshole doing here with her?!

Once she was gone, Chaeyoung stepped towards the guy, smiling at him reassuringly with a pat on his shoulder. He shrugged, then finger-brushed his hair.

"I... I think I should go, I'll patch up things with my dad first then I'll call you, alright?"

Her smile faded, glancing down on her shoes. She whispered, "Wait, why? I thought you-"

"Your friend doesn't want me here, it's pretty obvious, Chae. I really should leave, spend some time with her for the meantime. I promise I'll call, okay?"

He leaned over and gave her a peck on the cheeks before turning around. She didn't stop him, and just watched him disappear, again.

Her eyes watered, and she let it flow, completely frozen in her spot as she stared blankly outside. It's not as if it was out of the ordinary, in fact, it's the third time he left her like that.

A sarcastic laugh slipped from her mouth, she hastily wiped her tears away as she straightened her back. "You're pathetic, Son Chaeyoung," she mumbled.

"Where'd he go?" 

She shifted, seeing Sky inches away seizing her shoulder with her hand as the other held on the suitcase. Chaeyoung plastered a perfected fake smile, the one that made her dimple show.