25 - a semblance of hope

✦✦✦

"A cassette player? Really?" 

Yoongi looked up at her, narrowing his eyes as she shrugged nonchalantly, biting on the straw from the juice she had in her hand.

Not that she found it unbelievable, in fact, Chaeyoung was impressed at how the guy still cherished the classic cassette player and practically anything that most people nowadays considered too old and useless for them.

Watching him carefully insert a tape inside and shut it close, Yoongi kept the retort within his mouth and instead let the girl see why he brought it along and what was in the tape.

He slid a wired earphone from his purse and untangled it, giving the other piece to Chaeyoung, who parted her mouth but took it without saying a word.

She pressed it into her ear and placed the cup on the table, straightening her back. He breathed, taking his own time before he brought a finger on the play button, and the quiet "Hey" in the background startled her a bit.

Yoongi pushed his arms across the table and intertwined his fingers together, as Chaeyoung stiffened as the familiar voice echoed.

"Jungkook-ah, do you hear this? Ahh, I don't know how to use this thing anymore but someone gave it to me at work and I thought I had to learn because I remembered your dad loved his own. Hmm," it was Jimin, pausing as he let out a small, soft chuckle, and a shuffle was heard.

"Sorry... that was Chaeyoung. You see, she came here at my place to search through my room, and without a warrant. She thought you had me keep those songs you wrote and is desperate to find them. I wonder why you're hiding it, is there something she should know about those? Maybe the lyrics were about her? Is that it? Mhm, my little brother has grown up..."

There's an ache somewhere inside Chaeyoung's heart, growing rapidly by the second when Yoongi pressed on the pause button and glanced at her with sullen eyes. It's that sadness seeping in her older friend that caught her tears to rise from her.

Sitting in a convenience store in the middle of a busy alleyway in town added onto the feeling, the dread that was slowly taking over the atmosphere at the thought that Jimin had probably passed by the crowded street once or twice in his life.

Instead of letting her tears fall, Chaeyoung swallowed hard and grinned, heaving a breath before nodding at Yoongi to proceed, in which he did with the same expression.

"Okay, um. I wanted to actually talk to you about something really important but I can't seem to find the time to do so. I just hope you don't turn this thing off or you won't hear everything. Can you do that for me?"

They heard a voice in the background, Chaeyoung's. She came closer to him and laughed, telling him she was leaving as she was sorry for uninvitedly coming over to turn his room upside down.