XXXVIII - Traveling Conversations

Russia holds America's hand, tenderly. A warm feeling fills his stomach. America's shaking slows, and he feels America's grip relax, if only slightly. America rubs at his face and takes a deep breath. He steels his expression with practiced ease that shocked Russia for a moment.

"Come on. We're falling behind," America says. He pulls Russia forward. Russia smiles.

They walk hand in hand. Massachusetts offers Russia a nod and a small grin. Philippines chatters away to Texas. Canada does give him a strange look but doesn't comment.

As they walk, Russia begins to think.

'Training... What kind of training? Was it a joke or real? If it was a joke, why name it the training room? If someone is training something, then why use citizens, and why have people with different flags? Well, monsters-'

His eyes widen for a split second.

'Could the monsters be trained? Wild animals can be trained for a circus, and dogs can be trained to fight. Training monsters...'

'That monster from before, at the Big House. It knew Alaska's flag, but Alaska wasn't outside. If these monsters are being trained, they could be sent to track us down and use our flags.'

"America?"

"Yeah, Russ?"

"Can monsters be trained?"

"Uhhh... I guess? I'd imagine it would take a lot of magic, food, and people to do it... what are you thinking about?"

"'Training room.'"

America inhales sharply.

"Want to share with the group?" Massachusetts asks.

Russia looks to America, and America speaks.

"We think there is something bigger going on."

"Like what pops?" Texas asks.

"Like these monsters are being trained to track down personifications."

Finland's eyes flash in recognition.

"But why would someone do that?" she asks.

"I don't know, but 'training room' implies it."

"It would explain how they knew flags they didn't see," Russia interjects, "because I don't think they saw Alaska."

America goes quiet for a second before nodding his head.

"That would make sense."

"But what's the end goal here?" Louisiana asks.

"Taking over the world? I don't know. The entertainment thing doesn't seem like the reason someone would train anything for," America says.

"'Taking over the world'?" Finland asks skeptically.

"Well, do you have a better idea?"

Finland shakes her head.

"Y'all think it has something to do with the monster problems Ute was talkin' about?" Texas asks.

"Yes," Russia replies. America gives him a confused look.

"How do you know-"

"I will tell you later," he mouths to America, who nods.

"Where does that leave us?" Philippines asks.

"We need to focus on staying alive for right now," America replies.

"Sounds good to me," Texas says.