XV - The Belly of the Beast

A musty odor fills Russia's nose as he treks through the underground maze. Long cylinders of light catch on dust in the air, making him wish he had a face mask. His ears zone into the small splashing around them, adding to the now apparent cacophony of their footsteps.

An impossibly loud squeak causes Russia to swivel around, his flashlight searching for the source. He finds a stumbling Massachusetts fumbling with one of his books, old and leather-bound, its color faded and uneven.

Russia reaches out and catches him by the shoulder, using his light to steady the book.

"Careful."

Massachusetts scoffs.

They turn left, right, and down snaking passageways where medieval touches would not look out of place in. The air smells like soot and rot, and the smell vaguely lingers in pockets of stale, wet air, just barely noticeable over the smell of dead water creeping through creases in the rock.

Russia stops the group in an area that looks almost like a bedroom. Four flat walls and a level ceiling. It feels cramped here. The room isn't small, but it feels suffocating. Or maybe it's just the smell in the air.

Russia feels his hair stand on end, and he looks around the room. Something catches his eye in the upper corner of the room, but as soon as he turns to look at it more closely, it's gone.

Russia stares at the spot for a few more seconds, and he sees it again.

A small red light blinks sluggishly in the dark corners.

"Whatcha lookin' at, Russ?" Texas asks.

"There is something up there. I do not know what it is, but it has a red light."

"You saw that too? I thought I was just imagining things," Louisiana comments.

"But what is it?" Canada asks, pointing his flashlight up to illuminate the source of the red glimmer.

Russia does the same, and the torches reveal a small device mounted into the rock. Something on it reflects their light with a dull white sheen.

'Glass? What would be down here reflecting that?'

He looks closer.

'I thought it was red...'

"Is that a camera?" Massachusetts asks.

"I don't know, but we're about to find out," Texas replies, tossing a rock around in his hand.

Texas launches the rock at the gleaming metal on the wall. The stone hits it with a crunch. The device disconnects from its mount and falls to the floor.

Russia walks over to investigate and sees the lens of a camera staring back at him.

He stares at it for a moment. His heart sinks.

'Someone is watching us.'

Suddenly, the camera begins to make strange noises, like someone blowing into a microphone.

Russia jumps back.

"Hasn't your mother ever told you not to break other people's things?" a male voice croons through static.

Russia's heart skips a beat, and he shuffles in between the device and the states.

"Who are you?" Russia demands, baring his teeth.

"I am your new friend," the voice answers sarcastically, "but, I must say, you five certainly are entertaining to watch."

"How long have you been watching us?" Canada hisses at the camera, eyes narrowed.