Winter Escort

Hawaii hurries Alaska through the airport, and they dodge any potential threats around them. They just made it to boarding when they began letting people on. Because of their status as states, they were some of the first people seated, just after those who needed special assistance.

Hawaii's phone buzzes, and it's a text from an unknown number. Unlocking her phone, she reads, "Hello, this is Soviet. I have just received the landing information for your flight. Do you need extra winter clothes?"

"Yes, I only have a light jacket. Alaska has her own snow-ready clothes with her," she responds before turning her phone off for take-off.

The flight as a whole is uneventful, and when they land, the world outside is bitterly cold and windy, and the only visible lights are artificial ones twinkling on the ground, reflecting on the white snow.

They exit the aircraft, and immediately, Hawaii feels her hair stand on end.

'We're being watched,' she thinks.

She grabs Alaska's hand a little tighter and tugs the child along with her, taking long strides to get their bags. Alaska whines for a moment before falling quiet. Hawaii looks down, concerned, and sees Alaska looking around with wide eyes, hovering close to Hawaii's leg.

'She feels it too. We have to hurry.'

Observing her surroundings, she sees that the airport is mostly empty. The flight they just exited is the only flight that is there. Hawaii drags Alaska through Customs as fast as she can, and Alaska acts as a translator between Hawaii and the airport officials.

Hawaii keeps her guard up. Something is following them, but she is not sure as to what.

Finally, they get past the airport officials, and Hawaii spots a familiar flag in the mass of colors. He's tall, and fairly well built, towering over the people in the crowd. His face is set in a scowl, but it softens as they approach. A long jacket sweeps out from behind him as he steps forward. She also sees a pile of coats set in the chair next to him. She speed walks over, and Alaska runs to keep up, but she doesn't complain.

"Hello, welcome to Russia," Soviet says with playful lit in his voice. He looks at their faces, and his face falls slightly. "Is everything alright?" he asks.

Hawaii nods, "We're fine. It just feels like someone is watching us," she replies.

Soviet's face hardens. "I see. We will make this quick," he says.

Then, he looks down at Alaska, and his face softens.

"Hello, child. I have something special for you. Would you like to see?" he asks, his voice soft, and a small smile appears on his face.

"Yes, please," Alaska replies, her voice quiet. She looks scared, but not of Soviet.

Soviet digs in a pile and pulls out an ushanka. It is smaller than his own and is grey instead of the dark brown. On the top sat two wolf ears sewn into the fabric.

Alaska gasps and runs forward. "This is for me?" she asks, enthusiastic.

"Yes, it is for you. Here, put it on, and we will see how it looks," Soviet replies, a smile playing across his stoic features.

Alaska shoves the hat onto her head. In her rush, she puts in on sideways. Soviet laughs and reaches over to readjust it. Once she can see, Alaska spins around to Hawaii with a large grin on her face.

"Look, look! Just like Mr. Russia!" she exclaims happily.

Soviet grins, and then his expression returns to a neutral scowl. He turns back to the pile of coats. He pulls a large, light grey coat and black snow pants out and hands the pieces to Hawaii. The wind howls outside, and the nearby streetlight illuminates the white flecks flying throw the air.

"It is cold, and the wind is harsh, and you are not used to the cold weather. You can keep this," he says. Once Hawaii takes the articles, he turns back around, grabs a pair of dark brown snow boots, and hands them to Hawaii. "These as well. They should fit. If they do not, we will get new ones here before we leave. The snow is deep," he says, his voice holds a tone of warning.

Hawaii nods.

Alaska sits on the floor, fighting with a pair of snow pants hurriedly, kicking to secure them. Soviet gains a fond look on his face. As soon as Alaska straps her boots, she hops up and holds her arms out, as if to show off her outfit.

"Are you alright?" Hawaii asks Soviet, curious.

"Yes. I am fine. She reminds me of my children when they were that small," he replies, a fond smile on his face. Hawaii puts on the coat and other articles before turning back to Soviet, and seeing him put on his coat.

"Will we be outside for long?" she asks.

"No. We will only be walking to the train station. It is about 10 minutes from here. We will catch the next train and ride it for a few hours," Soviet explains, "and I will drive the rest of the way."

Hawaii nods. Suddenly, she feels her stomach plummet, and she tenses. Alaska, who was standing closer to Soviet, latches onto his coat, trying to hide in it. Soviet looks mostly unaffected. Still, he begins scanning their surroundings more fervently.

"Something is here. We must leave before we get attacked," Soviet says, "follow me. It is easy to get lost in wind like this."

They exit, and the wind slams the doors behind them, making Hawaii jump. The walk through the snowdrifts, and a few minutes into the walk, Alaska gets stuck, and Soviet begins carrying the child with practiced motions.

When they finally board the train, Hawaii's uneasiness gets worse. They sit together in a group of seats in the back corner of an empty carriage. Alaska stares out into the twinkling snow and eventually falls asleep against the cold window. Hawaii shivers, but if it's due to the cold or her uneasiness, she's not sure. Soviet drifts off, telling her that their stop is the end of the route, and there will be an announcement made when they get there.

Hawaii remains restless and is barely able to stay in her seat. Suddenly, the wind sounds a lot louder than it had a moment before, and a cold rush of air jolts her out of her thoughts.

Someone, or something, opens the door at the train car's front—the wind wails in dismay, and the door rattles. Something crawls on, and the door slams shut. Alaska stirs, but Soviet remains asleep.

Something hisses from the floor, and Hawaii takes a risk and peeks into the aisle.

Nothing.

"'waii, what's-" Alaska starts.

"Shhhh..." Hawaii shushes her, a finger to her lips.

She scans around the seats but sees nothing out of the ordinary. She bits her lip.

'Was what I saw even real?' she wonders.

"Hawaii," Alaska whispers, tugging gently on her sleeve, "what is that?" Her little voice shakes.

Hawaii looks through the seats to what Alaska is pointing at and freezes to the spot.

She sees something rise a few rows in front of them. Its form is humanoid, but its legs are too long, and its face is gaunt. Its body is grey in color, and it is cloaked in ripped clothes and discarded garments of a time long past. She forces herself to breathe and begins gently kicking at Soviet's boot, trying not to make a sound. Soviet grumbles, unaware of the monster lurking just behind him. Hawaii's mind races.

'We can't run without being separated,' she thinks, 'and Alaska is too small to be crossing between train cars alone. What am I going to do? What happens if it gets closer? Should I try to shove it out of the train car? Yes, it might be the only thing I can do if it charges. I can't wake up Soviet without getting its attention.'

She readies herself in her seat, and Alaska slowly crawls under the table to get to Soviet. Then, Alaska squeaks and rushes out from under the table. Something unsightly chases after her. The thing hisses and grabs at her ankles as she scrambles to her feet.

Alaska shrieks.

"Hawaii! Mr. Soviet! HELP!"