American Labyrinth

"Phili?" America calls.

"Yes?" Philippines answers.

"Wasn't that just a room?" America asks, gesturing to a hollow whose back wall stretches much further than America remembered it being just a moment ago.

Philippines turns and stares in disbelief at the area.

"Yes, it was," he mutters in response.

"Are you alright?" America asks, concerned.

"I'm just happy I'm not going insane," Philippines admits, "Things change like that constantly unless I'm looking at them."

"Yeah. There's a lot of magic here, so I'm not surprised," America replies, fanning his light a little brighter.

"Oh. Did you find a little friend?" a voice purrs from above them.

America jumps in front of Philippines immediately; arms spread out to protect him. America faces the source of the noise with a snarl.

"What do you want from us?" America commands, snarling.

"Oh me? I just want a good show. I do think you will enjoy my maze," the voice croons, "though your magic has confused me. You're just full of surprises."

America sneers, but he catches himself. He can't lose his concentration on creating light, or the darkness would swallow them whole, and by the time he can summon the light again, their surroundings could change completely.

America takes a deep breath.

"Who else is here?"

"You'll find out soon, rat," the voice replies with an audible sneer.

"You don't talk to him like that!" Philippines exclaims from behind America.

America shushes him.

"Oh, I can do anything I want. Wanna see?" the voice asks condescendingly. Then the speakers shut off.

America feels the hair on the back of his neck stand. His head whips around, trying to locate the source of trouble, but with every movement, he can see the walls shift in his peripheral vision, and when he turns back, he is in a completely different setting.

He watches the walls breathe and shift, folding over themselves and breaking apart.

The magic in the air smells like electricity. America's head spins as everything around him melts out of reality. The light he has in his hand flickers. Philippines squeaks. America tries to strengthen it but finds that he can barely keep it stable with so much magic interference surrounding him. The light begins to flash, and then disappear. Philippines grabs America's arm.

Now all he can see is darkness. Then, he hears the speakers flick on, and cackling is projected all around him, its echo unstable. Things begin to brush against him. Slimly limbs and fuzzy legs brush against his arms and face. Something latches onto his leg with a tight grip. He kicks into the darkness, trying to dislodge it.

Philippines begins shaking in fear, which makes America furious, but with his stomach in his throat, he can hardly speak. He reaches around and places a hand on top of Philippines', trying to comfort him.

"Now isn't this FUN?" the voice laughs and becomes distorted.

America tries to summon his magic but finds that it isn't stable here.

'We have to move,' America realizes, 'but we'll be running blind.'

Feeling like he has no other choice, America takes Philippines' hand in his own like he had when Philippines was younger and gets ready to run. Philippines seems to understand what he's about to do, and when America begins sprinting, Philip races alongside him.

Cold air rushes past them as they run blindly into the unknown.