Home Base

"Alabama! What're you doin'?!" Virginia shouts from outside.

"Puttin' rockets on the roof," Alabama yells back.

"NO! Get down!" Delaware screams.

Dixie wished that this hadn't become his new alarm clock. The states had always tried to be considerate on holidays, and he never stayed this long at the Big House. But now, having been here for more than a week, the states had gone back to their routine.

This means Dixie wakes up to screaming at 7:30 AM about something that could burn the house down.

Dixie sighs and ignores it for a few more moments until he hears a loud crash on the roof above, and he groans. He pulls himself up, and he saunters out to the front yard. He sees New York and New Jersey standing on the roof, trying to pull Alabama off his makeshift rocket launcher. Mississippi is seated nearby on the roof tiles, just watching with an amused smile.

Alabama and Mississippi are often found together. Mississippi is taller than Alabama and has a much more sturdy appearance. Alabama is thinner, his face and arms covered in scars.

"What in God's name are all of y'all doing up there?!" Dixie yells, his hands on his hips.

"Tryin' to set up a trap for the monsters," Alabama replies.

"Well, take that darn thing down! And every single one of y'all better get down to the main room this instant. Y'all hear me?!" Dixie demands.

New York and New Jersey hop down, swinging off of window ledges and landing in the grass. Mississippi and Alabama quickly disassemble the jerry-rigged contraption, and Alabama feeds the pieces back into his window before he and Mississippi follow, closing the window behind them.

The other states shuffle inside, and Dixie follows behind, shutting the door.

'I need coffee,' Dixie thinks, rubbing his face.