Leaving Home

Dixie is sitting up at the dining room table, staring out the window and into the blanket of stars.

'I am so tired.'

Worry consumes him, but he isn't sure why. Then, a hazy feeling fills his head. His hair pricks up at sudden static. Looking up, he sees a blurred message from Massachusetts appear in front of him. It's edges are a misty green.

In it, Dixie sees Massachusetts is covered in blood and looks panicked. He can also hear faint, distorted cries of alarm and fighting in the background. Massachusetts tries to speak, but it was like trying to use a phone with a bad signal.

Dixie's heart races.

"Dix-e! Som-o-e! Ple-se, I hop- t-is is going thro--h. There is so -uch ----c interf-r--ce. We found an entrance, b-- we're be-ng force- in----. Phon-- --en't work---. HELP!" Massachusetts shouts before the message fades.

"Was that Massy?" New Jersey asks from the kitchen.

Dixie jumps.

"Go get everyone up, now," Dixie demands, and the state disappears, with New York's distinct footsteps following shortly behind.

Dixie puts his head in his hands, and he hears New Jersey and New York upstairs, running and screaming, turning on lights as they go.

He could hear shouts of confusion and anger, but the states stomp down the stairs and gather on the first floor. The provinces surface soon after.

"What's going on?!" Nunavut demands, rubbing his face.

"Yeah! Why are we all 'wake so early?!" Alabama whines.

"Maybe if you stop complaining, then we'll find out!" Delaware snaps back.

"QUIET!" Dixie barks, and the room silences.

"Is everyone here and awake?" Dixie demands.

"Yup, Jersey and I just checked all da rooms," New York calls from the stairs.

"Good, sit down," Dixie commands, pointing to space at his feet.

New York and New Jersey scramble forward to take their seats. Dixie squares his shoulders back and stares around the room.

"All of y'all need to listen and listen good. I ain't sayin' this more than once. Massachusetts was just talkin' to me, and he needs help. They found a way into the 'magic hideout,' but they're bein' forced inside. We're leavin' at sunrise to their last known location," Dixie declares, and the states and provinces freeze.

"We'll be taking personal cars, but all seats must be full before we take it. That's how we'll check 'n see if everyone's there. We're gonna break in and get them. Providences, y'all will be riding with all y'all's cousins. Now go and pack as much as you can. Get your stuff into the bed of my truck before sunrise," Dixie elaborates.

The states mutter among themselves but go quiet at Dixie's glare.

"Do all of y'all understand? We're gonna be drivin' there 'cause tryin' to find enough plane tickets for us all is gonna be too expensive and take too long," Dixie announces, looking for questions.

The states and providences alike stare in both horror and determination, but none of them voice any questions.

"We'll figure out who goes in what car later and may have to reorganize luggage once we do. Right now, get packing," Dixie says, dismissing the meeting.

No one moves.

"Y'all heard him! Get packin'!" Alabama reiterates, standing up.

This spurs movement as the teens and kids alike rush back to their rooms to pack what they have. Dixie quickly repacks his own luggage and places it into the bed of his truck, closing the top to keep animals out. He stays outside and helps the states and provinces pack their suitcases into trucks and cars, respectively.

The moon glimmers sadly from above them.

Once his truck is full, he fills the bed of Kentucky's truck and shoves the extra bags into the trunks of the other cars. Alabama stocks his truck with weapons and more than a few rockets, but Dixie ignores it.

'For now.'

Most of the states pick vehicles by bunk buddy, and any extra 1-person gaps are filled by the provinces and the states whose buddies aren't there, like Georgia, Virginia, and New Mexico. They fill 11 of the cars, and as soon as Dixie begins to see sunlight peeking through the trees, he leads his brigade onto the road. With New York in shotgun and New Jersey, Quebec, and Virginia in the back seat, he heads straight for the Rockies.