XX - Animal Skins

The next morning, Russia wakes up in a strange place that smells faintly of evergreen trees and hand sanitizer. He opens his eyes. He is lying in what looks like a tent made with animal hide and wood.

He shifts and looks down at his clothes, which had been replaced with intricately sewn, loose, colorful cloth. He sits up and winces, expecting to be hit with intense pain, only to feel mildly sore.

He rubs his face and pulls up his sleeves, only to stare in shock at the lack of both wounds and bandages. His arms had several more scars than he remembered, but the fact that they aren't bleeding or broken is astonishing.

He carefully crawls over the animal skins he had been laid on top of, and he gingerly exits the tepee.

Sunlight assaults his eyes, and he covers them until they can adjust. Once he can analyze his surroundings, he sees Canada speaking with someone Russia doesn't recognize. Both are wearing similar garb to Russia, and they turn to face him.

"Oh! Hey Russia. Sorry, I didn't see you there," Canada chirps, waving.

"Hello. Where are we?" 

"You're in my camp. So, you're Russia?" the new personification asks.

His head is a light blue, white lettering circles his head, and his face is decorated with a white ring with other decorations inside. The strangest part of the man's flag to Russia is the small Colorado flag under his lip. Russia nods, and the figure turns around to reach for something.

"This is Ute (pronounced 'Yoot,' like 'boot'). He's the personification of the Southern Ute Tribe in America. Colorado told him we disappeared, and he came by to find us. Lucky he was in the area, eh?" Canada says.

"You five were badly hurt. I was able to heal most of it, but your clothes were impossible to save. They were ripped badly and are stained with blood and tar. Your spare garments need to be patched after I fix your bags," Ute comments before turning around to face Russia.

Ute holds a hat that Russia thought he would never see again. It is outfitted with a colorful patch sewn onto one of the flaps.

"I believe this is yours. It ripped on its way down, so I patched it as best as I could. It is a fascinating design," Ute says, handing Russia his hat.

Russia takes it slowly before hugging it to his chest.

"Thank you!" Russia exclaims in excitement.

"What?" Ute asks, confused.

"I thank you!" Russia corrects, putting his hat back onto his head, "it is perfect."

Ute smiles proudly before moving to stand.

"Where are you going?" Canada asks curiously.

"I am going to get food. Stay here and guard the campsite," Ute answers, grabbing a spear before disappearing into the treeline silently.

Russia turns to Canada. "Have any of the states woken up?"

Canada shakes his head. "I haven't seen any of them yet. They may just need more rest. They are states, eh?"

Russia admires the sky for a few moments before he turns back to Canada.

"Why is Ute helping us? He is not a state."

"Well, the Southern Ute Tribe has a better relationship with the states than most of the other native personifications. That's why he's got a small Colorado flag on his own flag. Colorado probably asked him to help us out as a favor," Canada answers with a shrug.

Russia hums in acknowledgment and leans back on his hands, gazing up at the clear blue sky.

Movement erupts from one of the nearby Tepees, and Massachusetts bursts out in a frenzy. Russia watches the teen's wide eyes scan their surroundings before landing on Canada and Russia. Massachusetts shoulders fall in relief, and he rushes forward, tackling Canada in a hug. Canada laughs and pushes him off. Massachusetts lunges for Russia, knocking the country over.

Massachusetts releases his hold just as suddenly as he had latched on, and offers a hand to help Russia up.

"You're not dead," Massachusetts states, a relieved smile on his face.

"Not as far as I know," Russia teases.

Massachusetts chuckles in response, and he relaxes.

"Where are we anyway?" Massachusetts asks curiously.

"Colorado's friend, the Southern Ute Tribe, found us and brought us to his camp," Canada replies.

"Oh. Cool," Massachusetts says as he continues to examine his surroundings.

The three sit together, listening to the birdcalls around them. Louisiana joins them soon after. Following some short conversation with Canada, Louisiana sits with them, admiring the clouds above.

Russia wonders when Texas is going to wake up, but he realizes he wouldn't be able to miss it. Russia is proven right a little while later when Texas bursts from the tepee Louisiana had slept in.

Texas has his hat on backward and his clothes twisted around his torso. All in all, it is a humorous sight.

Russia snorts in amusement and Massachusetts cackles.

"All y'all are okay!" Texas shouts in celebration, and he charges toward them.

Texas grabs the states into a hug. Massachusetts yelps and starts trying to push away. Louisiana doesn't look bothered. Texas laughs and drops his siblings. He turns and grabs Russia and Canada into a bear hug.

Russia gasps for air, and Texas releases his grip, letting Russia fall to the ground. Russia sits back, trying to catch his breath.

"Sorry, Russ," Texas apologizes from above him.

"It's alright," Russia says once he catches his breath.

"I see the states have woken up," Ute says from behind the group.

Russia turns and waves.

"I have food, and there should be enough for all of you to eat," Ute says as he pulls a bag off his back and hands it to Canada.

Ute takes a seat beside Texas and begins to mend the mangled remains of backpacks they had worn yesterday.

Russia is just grateful that he didn't die last night.