34. "Save the world"

I could feel life being drained out of me, like I had so many times before. It was almost a feeling I had been accustomed to these last couple of weeks, unfortunately for me. I put both of my hands on Darko's chest as a feeble attempt to stop him from killing me, but it didn't do much more than amuse him. Dennis had told me vampires relished on the killing aspect of feeding, but I had never felt it as clear as I did the moment Darko pierced my skin with his fangs. He was enjoying the pain I was feeling, and I didn't have to be psychic to know it.

Time passed slower than usual, and I could almost see things happening around me in slow motion. I tried to focus on what I'd done that night with the witches and I tried to replicate it, but I was unsuccessful. Right when I was about to accept my fate, I saw Alexander pull Darko away from me and release me from the pain. I fell to my knees as I felt the blood flow rapidly out of my neck. Darko took a step back as Alexander stood up to him with his fangs out and his imposing posture. Dennis ran to me as soon as my knees hit the floor and he fed me with his blood.

"I'm impressed." I heard Darko say. Something in the tone of his voice made me feel like he was about to do something drastic, and I soon realized what it was. He was going to kill Alexander. I wasn't the only one that realized this, because right as Darko took a step towards Alexander, Jacqueline shot him with her gun.

Wooden bullets seemed to hurt Darko a little, but not as much as they'd hurt a regular vampire. He took a couple steps back as Jacqueline shot at least five more wooden bullets at him. I could see the scene from the floor as I started to feel myself regaining my strength as Dennis' blood filled up my veins. My eyes stopped feeling so heavy and I could finally stand up with Dennis' help.

"How lovely it is that you'd risk your life for him." Darko said as he pulled out every single one of the bullets that had hit him out of his body.

Everybody was starring at the scene, like they were waiting for Alexander to give them the signal to start fighting. I could feel a certain atmosphere in the room I didn't like. I felt like they all knew they would lose. I didn't know if it was my imagination or if it was one of those time I just knew something. Either way, I could tell they all thought the battle was lost before they even started fighting.

"Go!" Alexander yelled as he pointed at Darko, and everybody came at him.

First it was a couple of vampires I hadn't seen before. There were two women and three men. They came at Darko with vampire speed and holding various kinds of weapons. One of the women tried to stake him, but Darko turned the stake to her and killed her. I had never seen a vampire dying in front of me, and it wasn't pretty. Black thick fluid sprayed out of her chest and covered Darko with it, then her body fell lifeless to the floor with a hole in her chest where the stake used to be. Her skin wasn't flawless and fair like it was before, it was now a grey-ish color and I could see all the veins in the body shine red underneath her grey skin. It wasn't pretty, from where I was standing.

He did the same for the other four vampires that came at him and turned their own weapons on them. They were all dead on the floor by the time he was done. He cleaned himself up with a tablecloth from one of the tables and then he stood up in front of us in the same way as before, like he was untouchable.

"Anybody else wants to try?" he asked with his hands open in front of him, like he was inviting all of them to give it their best shot, knowing they would fail.

A second after he said it the bar was nearly empty. Everybody left, except the four of us. I guess fighting for The Academy wasn't worth risking their lives.

"Are you okay?" Alexander turned to me and asked. I nodded, still speechless.

"And then there were three." Darko said, ignoring my existence. "I'll start with..." he looked at the three vampires that were standing in front of him. "...you." he pointed at Dennis.