9. "Interview with the vampire"

I had been waiting for Dennis to come to my house and tell me how I could help him find the killer vampire, but because he was a vampire, he could only come at night. So, I waited all day laying in my bed watching movies with Sophie, without being able to focus on the movies. Then the night came, and I started to get worried when he still hadn't showed up two hours after sundown, and then he did. As handsome as ever with his black hair and blue eyes he knocked on my door on Sunday night.

Because I'd hoped he would come that night, I was looking prettier than usual. He smiled when he saw me and I smiled too. My mother suddenly wasn't so against me seeing a vampire, mainly because he had saved his daughter's life. So, Dennis walked into the house for a minute so say hi, he asked Sophie how she felt, and then we left.

I didn't know exactly where he was taking me when we first got out of the house, but it took me a second to figure it out. We were going to Kimmel's. We walked for a couple of minutes in a comfortable silence and when we got to Kimmel's it was as empty as you'd expect it to be on a Sunday night.

He opened the door for me and we sat on one of the booths on the corner of the bar. Merissa had a shift that day, so she walked towards us to take our order.

"What can I get you this fine evening?" Merissa asked. I thought I should introduce her.

"Merissa, this is Dennis, my..." oh, not again. "... friend" Dennis gave me a funny look, and then he looked at Merissa. "This is my friend Merissa, the one I told you about." Merissa gave him one of her big smiles.

I'd always though Merissa was the most beautiful woman in Santa Mon, and I saw Dennis take note of how stunning she was. I didn't mind, Merissa was gorgeous, and everyone could see it. She extended her hand to him and he took it.

"Nice to meet you, Merissa." he smiled at her and she smiled back.

"The pleasure is all mine." she let go of his hand and then she looked at me for a second and then back at him. "She's talked a lot about you." I could feel the red start filling up my cheeks. Dennis looked at me with care, and I looked away, trying to hide how embarrassed I was.

"I'd like a coke, please." I tried to deviate the conversation. Merissa laughed and then she wrote something on her little notebook.

"And I'd like a blood shot, please." Merissa nodded and then she wrote on her notebook again.

"Coming right up." she said with a smile and then she turned around and walked away.

"Do you always use those?" I asked, referring to the blood shots.

"Are you asking me if I feed on humans?" He asked, reading my intentions. I found it ridiculous for people to assume vampires were going to stop feeding on humans just because the United Nations asked them to. But I was curious to know if Dennis had stopped feeding on humans since the blood shots came out four years ago.

"Do you?"

"Sometimes." I didn't know exactly what answer I wanted or expected from him, but that one sufficed. "I try not to." he looked like he felt a little guilty. I nodded.

"Is it better?" I didn't know how long our 'friends' state was going to last, so I thought I'd get as much information out of him as I could while it lasted.

"Yes." he answered, immediately. "You have no idea how much better it is to feed from a human." I almost felt bad for him. "But the blood shots keep us working." he said with half a smile on his face. I nodded.

"Here you go." Merissa came to the table, left our orders on it, and then left.

Dennis injected the blood to his right arm and that was the first time I really saw him feeding. His fangs came out, shiny, long and sharp, and I gasped as soon as I saw them.