3. "Not all vampires"

Getting home took me almost exactly five minutes. And as soon as my house was in my field of view I noticed that the lights were on, which meant they were awake. Great, I had a lot of explaining to do. I walked into the house to find my mother, my sister, Carl and the town sheriff sitting around the dining table. Their faces turned to me as soon as I walked into the house.

"Good lord, thank god you're alive." Sophie said, with a hint of sarcasm. As soon as she said it, she stood up and walked back to her room. The only thing Carl did when he saw me was to let out a relived sigh.

"Care to explain where you've been?" I didn't notice when my mom got up and walked towards me, but there she was, standing in front of me with both hands on the waist, small and thin, but still intimidating.

"I guess my job here is done." Michael Woodenford, the town sheriff, said as he walked to the door.

"Not yet, what if something happened to her? Honey, did something happen to you?" my mom got closer as her expression changed from angry to worried. The sheriff stopped walking.

"Nothing happened. I'm fine. I just went out for a walk and fell asleep in the cemetery. It happened all the time when I was younger, and you never called the police." I said, trying to change the focus of the conversation.

"Yes, but that was before the vampires." she said in a judgmental tone.

"Vampires have existed for ages mom, get over it." maybe I was being a little rude to my worried mother, but I just wanted to forget about the whole night. Well, not the whole night. The chat with Dennis the vampire was nice. I noticed the sheriff debating whether or not to leave on the corner of my eye. "Sheriff Woodenford, thank you for coming, but we're all fine here. You can go." the sheriff nodded his head in understanding and then proceeded to leave our house.

"Please, don't just disappear in the middle of the night anymore. The world has changed whether you want to see it or not." she said once Mike left. Well, she was right about that. Santa Mon was not the same way I left it.

"Okay, I won't." I reassured her.

My mother was a lovely person, but she was also very overprotective and a bit paranoid, which made her sound neurotic most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I loved my mother as much as a person can love, but we had our disagreements.

I walked up to my room and only when I got in it I realised I was wearing a man's jacket. Dennis probably put it on me so no one would see all the blood that was splattered on my clothes. I hanged the jacket on my closet and then took all the dirty clothes off and put them on a bag that I hid under my bed. I'd decide what to do about them later. I took a shower, put on body cream, brushed my teeth and went back into my room. I wasn't sleepy at all, which was weird, because the clock on the kitchen wall indicated 5.34 am when I walked in, so I had only slept for five hours at most, and I felt great. Maybe it was the vampire blood. I would have to ask Dennis when I saw him again. Would I even see him again? I wasn't sure, but I knew I wanted to. I had so many questions about the vampiric world and I knew no one who could answer them, except for my new vampire friend. I wondered if Dennis would mind answering a few of them. I thought I'd ask him the next time I saw him. If I ever saw him again, that was.

Later that day there was going to be a celebration at Kimmel's and everyone in Santa Mon was going to be there to drink their problems away, and I wasn't the exception. But before I started getting ready, just about an hour after sunset, I decided to go for a run. When I lived in Santa Mon, one of my favorite things to do was to go for a run just after it started getting dark. I lost the habit when I moved to New York, but I was set on getting it back this summer. So, I put on my sneakers, put up my hair in a ponytail once again, and dressed up in the sportiest clothes I had brought.