4. "Screaming woman"

My watch marked 11.14 pm and Dennis still hadn't walked into the bar. The feeling of disappointment faded away every time I had I drink, so I kept on drinking. The bar was crowded with people, dancing, drinking, and overall having a good time. I had danced all night with Luca, Merissa, and a couple of other people from high school, so I took a well-deserved break at around midnight. I sat on one of the bar stools and had a sip of my beer. After a couple of minutes of drinking alone, Merissa sat next to me.

"Why do you look like that?" Merissa was my best friend since she moved in next door when we were eight, and even though we had drifted apart on the last couples of years, she still knew how to read me.

"Like what?" we had to scream, because the music and the people talking made it hard to hear.

"Like shit." I had put on a lot of effort to look good that night, and her words would've made me feel bad at any other moment of my life, but the alcohol levels were really high on my blood, so I laughed. "I mean, you always look stunning, but you look kind of sad tonight."

Had I really become one of those women whose world stopped spinning because of some guy? Fuck no. I gave her a big old smile and took her hand to drag her to the dance floor once again. We started dancing quite provocative, like we did when we were younger. We danced for a while, ignoring all the lusty eyes we got and just having fun. But our fun was interrupted by a female scream, an intense one.

My first instinct was to run towards the sound, in case the woman screaming needed help, and I followed the scream up to the women's bathroom at Kimmel's. But what I saw was something I immediately wanted to unsee.

Lyla Carlyle, one of the town's nurses, was laying across the floor of the lady's room, with her head ripped from her body, but still in its place, her neck completely destroyed, and her eyes dead. She was wearing a formerly white short dress and red shoes, that matched the blood scattered all over the white floor. Ty Roman, Luca's older sister, had found her like that and had passed out on the floor after screaming her lungs out.

There was nothing to do, but to call the police and wait. When the police got there, the whole bar was almost empty. We had specific instructions from the police to stay exactly were we were at the time of the incident, but almost nobody listened, except for me and Ty, who was still passed out on the floor, with Luca blowing air at her face. Most people walked out as soon as they could, thinking they were in danger, but they were waiting outside for the police.

Because Ty was laying on the floor unconscious, I was the first one the police would want to talk to, so I got mentally ready for that. Sheriff Woodenford walked into the bar at around 01.02 am and was very upset when he saw two of his detectives laying drunk on the floor of the bar. He walked towards me with a little notebook on his right hand and a blue pen on his left hand. Michael Woodenford was on his 40's and was half an inch taller than me, he had short blonde-ish hair and deep dark eyes, and he had always wanted to bed my mother, which is why I wasn't too keen on the idea of talking to him. I remember the fist time he hit on her; it was the same afternoon I found my father dead on the basement and we had to call the police. He showed up, questioned us both, and then invited her out to dinner. I pushed away all these thoughts when I saw him getting really close to me. Maybe he was going to ask me out now.

"So, Little Miss Trouble, tell me what happened." that was the nickname I had when I was younger, because I was always getting mixed up in trouble one way or another, sometimes without me even wanting to have anything to do with it. I rolled my eyes and sighed. He seemed amused by my reaction.

"Well, Lyla died, that's what happened." Mike was about to write that on his notebook and then he stopped himself. I almost let out a laugh.

"I already know that. I mean, do you have any more information about what happened?" a shiver came down my spine when I remembered what I saw. I shook my head to remove the disturbing image from it, with no luck.