Singlet, Shorts and Thongs (the shoes you idiot)

A few months later

A few months later...

Thomas' POV

One thing I loved about Australia more than Italy?

A warm Christmas.

I was a very young boy when my parents immigrated to Australia, bringing along all of our mafia members and establishing a mafia in a country where we could be safe.

I was too young to remember Christmas' in Italy, but I could never forget our first Christmas in Australia. My parents, brother and I were in this very mansion, with a full Italian feast, both of them dying from the heat whilst my brother and I were quite content with it.

Children ran around in the streets singing carols as neighbours competed to have the best lights on their houses; something which was frequently won by Jean Brightman's family. That was in fact how our friendship with her, Andrew and I flourished.

The year her family had lost the competition.

The tradition of the light contests were still very much alive now with the new generation, though, my family had taken over as the champions, with families from all over coming to our front garden just to see the light show.

It was currently Christmas Eve, and the household was buzzing as family and friends arrived to stay the night. Quinn, Anastasia and their dog Lucifer were already here, out by the pool alongside Evelyn and Carlotta.

Charlie was due to turn up with Maggie in a couple of hours, but the rest of my children were still living here, so they were already gorging themselves with food. My father was over in the kitchen talking with Tina and Jean whilst they cooked up dinner; something which I knew would tick off Tina sooner or later.

I felt a tug on my shirt and looked down to see Astrid, who was wearing Christmas baubles in her two buns. "Whatever are you wearing darling?" I asked, picking her up and placing her on the table to get a better look. She twirled around and walked up and down the table as I saw she was wearing a green dress, also decorated in baubles and lights.

"I'm a Christmas tree for this year's carols, papà!" she squealed, continuing to dance around. Every year, carols were televised on air during the evening, but Astrid's school was doing their own version a few hours earlier on the school grounds.

I helped her down and she hugged my waist, causing me to chuckle. "Principessa you're going to squeeze the life out of me," I wheezed, and she grinned, squeezing me tighter for just a few seconds before running off to annoy one of her brothers.

The doorbell then rang, and without warning, Aurora bounded in, running straight up to Hazel's room. Albert walked in sheepishly behind her and I smiled shaking his hand. "I'm sorry about her, she's been bursting at the seams since we landed last night," he apologised and I shook my head.

"Nonsense Al. Aurora is always welcome in our home," I said and Albert glanced at me gratefully, before heading down to the kitchen to greet everyone else. I followed him and snuck up behind Tina to plant a kiss on her temple.

"Just because I allow your father in the kitchen Thomas, does not mean you have a free pass all of a sudden," she threatened, and I quickly carried my ass out, running into Anastasia who was making her way inside from the pool.

"Let me guess," she started. "You tried your luck in the kitchen again." I nodded and she glanced at the grandfather clock in the lounge before her eyes widened in appreciation and she nodded.

"2:30, that's a new record," she remarked and she snatched a piece of watermelon from the plate behind me before running back outside. I shook my head and caught Quinn's eye, raising my eyebrow.

He gave a curt nod, before excusing himself. I walked to my office and had just sat down as he rushed in behind me. "Are you ready?" I asked. 

"Of course I am, sir. I've been ready since I met her," he replied.

I looked at the young man before me, his skin noticeably more tan from the amount of time he had spent living here. Much to Anastasia's dismay, he had cut his hair a while ago, though it had grown back quite quickly, sprouting blonder colours.

He had started surfing lessons down by the coast, joined by Astrid and Julian who also wanted to get in on the action. 

And now he was proposing to my eldest daughter.

"So tonight then?" I inquired and he nodded.

"Just as we finish the song, surrounded by everyone. Vladimir and Florent have promised they'll be there, as well as Vladimir's new child Sergei, so it'll be extra special," he explained. 

"Well then, may I officially welcome you to our family Quinn. I can see just how happy you make my daughter and I can't wait for tonight."

----

Astrid's POV

After spending a few hours by the pool with my family, I was soon ready in the car, anxiously waiting for dad to start the car. Everyone was coming to watch me, especially since I was getting a solo this year.

"HURRY UP DAD!" I yelled out and he came bustling out from the front doors, his arms full of camping chairs and picnic mats. 

"Darling we don't have to be there for another thirty minutes," he panted, and I crossed my arms, pouting at him. He sighed and quickly kissed my forehead before showing the materials into the boot of the car. 

(A/N: yes I understand most people call it the trunk of the car, but I'm Aussie, and many of us call it the boot.)

Mum soon hopped into the front passenger seat, along with Hazel and Nathan who were riding with us. "You excited, Star?" Nathan asked and I nodded eagerly, causing a bauble to fall out of my hair. Hazel laughed and secured it back in one of my space buns.

Finally, dad entered the car and drove out of the grounds, not surprisingly the last of the congregation of family joining us tonight to leave. We were blessed that my school was only a few minutes away, so we were quickly pulling into the grounds, and the chattering of my fellow classmates filled my ears. 

Cherry and Madison ran up to me and we squealed hugging each other and jumping around in a circle. Cherry's older sister Skylar waved to Nathan shyly and I rolled my eyes, taking Nathan's hand and dragging him over to Skylar.

"Nate meet Skylar, Skylar meet Nate. Skylar is Cherry's older sister, she's in Hazel's year level," I said and Nate blushed, taking Skylar's hand and shaking it gently. I left the two to figure out their weird teenage feelings as Riccardo came up to me and the girls, decked out in Christmas wear.

"Hi Mr Simmons!" Madison chirped and he waved, before beckoning us over to the stage. I bade my family goodbye before followed Riccardo to the stage, where all my classmates and other students were.

The eldest performer tonight was actually Anastasia, accompanied by Quinn on the piano. She was set to go last, so she didn't need to get ready yet. Madison was dressed up in a Santa dress, whilst Cherry was wearing an elf costume, her ears sprouting pointy ends.

I looked through the curtain to see the audience, and grinned as I saw my family in the front row. Charlie and Maggie waved to me, whilst Jacob and Evelyn were in a lip-lock. Quinn and Anastasia were by the ice-cream truck right by the stage, and everyone else was patiently seated in the chairs we had brought. 

Some families opted for just picnic blankets, whilst others stood up, leaning against the gumtrees that lined one side of the large grass space we were situated in. 

Finally, the lights went down, and Cherry, Madison and I joined our classmates onto the stage, waiting for the first notes from the piano to play. Riccardo cracked his fingers and sat down, his Joesph costume flowing behind him.

He dropped his hand onto the keys and our concert began.