Hairs and Homework: Chapter Fourteen

Start from the beginning

It was warmer up here, so Tonya unzipped her coat. Where to look next?

Tonya decided to check the 1940s Frigidaire, which her Aunt insisted was better than modern refrigerators. If it were stocked with fresh produce, it would prove her Aunt never left. She went into the kitchen and pulled the chrome handle. Inside, the light had burned out, so she swung the door wide, illuminating darkly filled jars, and resealable containers. Didn't Aunt Helene eat anything from the grocery store?

She moved aside to let in more light. No aluminum takeout containers. Not even a plate of leftovers.

Tonya fished out a carton of milk and smelled it. She poured a bit down the sink to see if it looked sour, but it was fresh. She was replacing the milk when she saw it. A glass jar filled with smoky fluid, and pale, thin, pointing... fingers! Ugh! There was a hand in the jar!

Of course her crazy Aunt had a hand in a jar.

Heavy boots stormed up the stairs. Tonya grabbed the jar and shoved it deep into the pocket of her coat, hoping nobody would notice the bulge.

"Hey! What are you doing up here?"

Tonya slammed the heavy fridge door shut and scooted out of the kitchen. She recognized Constable Cram, a fleshy local man with a buzz cut. He swaggered across the living room, practically forcing Tonya back into the kitchen.

Tonya didn't know what to do. She needed to dispose of the hand without getting caught, but he wasn't letting her pass. He towered over her, so close she smelled stale coffee on his breath.

"Well? What are you doing here?"

"This is my Aunt's place. I'm worried about her."

"She's in Loon Lake General. I think you should go see her. Now." His crossed arms and puffed out chest left no doubt this was an order.

At times like this, Tonya wished she had her Aunt's rumoured gift of persuasion. Then she could magically convince this lunk to go hunt butterflies.

"Oh my God. You're that kid. You're the fat kid." Cram took a step back so he could look her up and down. His eyes rested uncomfortably long on her chest, then her newly-chiselled waist. This was a new sensation for Tonya. She was conscious of her chubby little belly, but men stared just the same. She zipped up her coat.

"Can I go?"

He stepped aside to let her take the stairs. Tonya felt his eyes on her as she descended, but she had no time to worry about creeps.

Downstairs, she apologized to Constable Purrell. "My Aunt Helene and I are really close. She would want me to check her apartment, and make sure everything was okay."

"We'll keep an eye on it. Don't worry."

Tonya didn't like hearing Constable Cram's heavy steps above her head. He was poking around, but at least she got the hand. I hope there's nothing worse.

A horn honked, outside.

"Your friend is waiting for you," said Purrell.

Tonya thanked her and headed outside. Lynette was running the engine before Tonya got in.

"What were you doing upstairs?" Lynette asked. They pulled onto the highway and headed toward town.

"I don't know." She didn't dare say more.

Lynette sighed and goosed the accelerator. Tonya wished she could reveal more, but she had no idea what anything meant. What Tonya had seen didn't square with the helpful Auntie she worked for as a teenager. That Aunt was caring and kind, and swore she made her cures using only plants and minerals.