Eating Contest: Chapter Eleven

After the painful ward incident, Tonya attended the rest of her classes as if nothing happened. She got through it, and now stood waiting for Priya in the stands overlooking the pool. At one time Tonya dreaded the prospect of exercise, but now it was a relief to smell chlorine and anticipate a nice, normal workout. Magic and madness could wait. Below her, the swim team were doing smooth laps. She watched them glide through the water, flip turning near the wall with barely a ripple. If only her life could be so smooth.

Her Aunt's wards hadn't just repelled her. They made Tonya feel like a stake was driving through her head. How could someone she loved hurt her so much?

This brutal means of keeping Tonya away made her all the more determined to find out what her Aunt was hiding. Someone else would have to do her snooping, but who? Priya scoffed when Tonya mentioned the supernatural. Ducky was sweet, but he was Priya's friend. Telling them about her Aunt's magic would make them think she was crazy, but she needed somebody to make a video inside the shop. All she had to do was convince Ducky to go through her Aunt's place thoroughly, with a camera running, but without mentioning magic.

Maybe she would think of a good excuse while she was in the pool. And if that sour puss, Martha, made one sideways remark in the change room, Tonya would put her in her place.

Idly, Tonya scanned the pool for her rival's distinctive orange and blue swim cap. Everybody looked small and indistinct from this high in the stands. What was the big deal about Marta anyway? Weight lifting and training might make her an Olympian, but Tonya could beat Marta's best times with a brisk walk along the pool deck. Mind you, speed walking versus swimming, she could beat even Michael Phelps. Tonya smiled to herself.

The coach blew a whistle and the swimmers finished their final laps. As the last one got out of the pool, Tonya was sure. Marta wasn't there. Could she be sick again? It was almost time to start. Tonya left the stands and went downstairs.

She was in the foyer when Shin came out of the men's change room, walked past her, and then doubled back.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi?"

"I want to apologise for Marta the other day. She's under a lot of pressure..."

"It's okay. I never should have tried out."

"Yeah. Anyway, a bunch of are hanging out at her dorm tonight if you want to come. No hard feelings?" He smiled broadly at her. Tonya couldn't believe it. Shin Chang was asking her to a party!

"Okay."

"Great. Ask your friend to come too," he said, gesturing at Priya who was just coming in.

Tonya managed to keep her voice calm until he left. Then she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet, tripping over her words as she told Priya they were invited. "I love swimmers with their big shoulders and tiny waists." Tonya outlined an invisible hottie with upheld hands. "You have to come with me!"

"Stop bouncing," said Priya. "If I'm gonna be seen with you, you have to pretend this isn't the first time your parents let you out."

# # #

That evening, Tonya wished she had shampooed her hair three times. Did she still smell of chlorine? Probably. At least at a swimmers' party, the others would too.

Choosing clothes for the evening was excruciating. Tonya was nervous about meeting the swim team girls who had watched her flounder clumsily in the slow lane, but this wasn't high school. These were university kids who had better things to do than bully her for average swimming skills. At least, that's what she told herself, but just in case, she wanted to look great. She had lost weight in the summer and had to try on three pairs of jeans before she found some that weren't sloppy.