Ducky, The Other White Meat: Chapter Thirty-Two

Icy water climbed Ducky's legs as it rushed into the car. The hungry officer had caught up by now, and stood by his cruiser, watching them sink into the pond.

"They can make me go to the station, but no matter what happens," Ducky pointed at the cop, "don't get into a car with Officer Hungry."

"'Course not. What, you think I've never seen a horror movie?" The water was to his chest, and Zain's teeth chattered.

"You should go now." The water rose to their necks. They were crouching on the seats, with a wisp of air space between their heads and the roof.

"I prefer the company here."

Ducky felt the tires settle into the muck. "You could get by him. He's pretty slow."

"I guess."

Ducky appreciated Zain's loyalty, especially when he didn't blame driver error, or make cracks about 'Ducky' ponds or making 'Duck' dives.

When they heard sirens, Zain forced his door slowly open, and waded away, holding a wet camera bag over his head.

Ducky climbed onto the roof of the car. Cold air cut through his jacket, but at least he was out of the Polar water.

An ambulance arrived, lights flashing, followed by a second police cruiser. The driver got out and ordered Ducky to put his hands up. "Now, wade out to shore!"

"No way! "Are you trying to kill me?" It was partially a stalling tactic, to help Zain slip away unnoticed, but Ducky wasn't tempted to get back into the pond. The cold water bit right into you and stung.

The newcomer and his partner now stood beside Officer Hungry at the water's edge. "Come now, or I'll charge you with resisting arrest!"

"If I get hypothermia, my parents will sue."

This got the three officers talking, until Officer Hungry returned to his car to radio for help. From the middle of the pond, Ducky couldn't hear them or read their lips. He just hoped a crowd would congregate. He didn't like to think what Officer Hungry might do without civilian witnesses.

#   #   #

In the end, Ducky would have been a lot warmer if he had just swum out himself. By the time they sent a rowboat, his teeth chattered uncontrollably and he was shaking. Back on shore, ambulance attendants wanted to take him to the hospital, but Officer Hungry took them to one side and whispered something Ducky couldn't hear.

After that, they gave Ducky a blanket and handed him over.

His head was fuzzy and he wanted to lie down. As the ambulance pulled away, Ducky still hadn't been charged with anything. Was it possible they might let him go? He stumbled towards the highway, but Officer Hungry grabbed his shoulders, and marched him to the squad car.