Hard to Stomach: Chapter Forty

It was awkward. While Tonya and Aunt Helene sat on the hood of the car, Ducky kept shooting Tonya secret glances to make sure she was okay. Eventually it got so blatant her Aunt whispered: "I know that boy is sweet on you but are you sure he isn't wrong in the head?"

Fearing her murderous Aunt would read her mind, Tonya tried to think: 'pink elephants, pink elephants, pink elephants,' but couldn't help remembering her panicked text from the sandwich shop. Confused and desperate to say something innocent, she blurted: "We're not going out!"

That earned her a grin from Ducky but Zain remained beside the car, staring at her.

"So, uh, how are things on campus?" Tonya asked.

The guys described how their high-speed chase with Officer Hungry landed them both in the pond, and Ducky in a jail cell with cannibals.

"Are you hurt? Let me help." Tonya reached for Ducky's arm.

"The bites are clean and bandaged," said Ducky.

"You must be traumatized," she said.

"Not after watching three hundred zombie movies." Zain struck a heroic pose. "We're prepared for anything!"

Ducky laughed.

"I feel like everybody in uniform is against us," said Tonya.

"Now you know why I want you to leave," said Aunt Helene.

"How do we know things won't be worse in Toronto?" Tonya laced and unlaced her fingers.

"The Entity is localized for now, but I sense It reaching critical mass."

"What's that mean?" Zain crossed his arms.

"Local history." Aunt Helene sighed. "It's a long story."

"We're in no hurry." Ducky propped his foot on the bumper of her car.

Aunt Helene looked at her fingernails. "It's not pretty."

"Tell them," said Tonya.

"We want to help," said Ducky.

"I hope you feel the same when you know everything."

Like Tonya, Helene had grown up ignorant of her powers. It was a community-wide tradition. "Back in those days there were rules. You would never see cursed civilians wandering the streets like this, and kids were absolutely off limits."

Helene's parents put off explaining magic the way some parents delay the 'sex' talk until -- too late -- their kids have researched the mechanics and started on technique.

As for sex, the same for the supernatural. Helene was drawn to mystical energy thrumming through the Three Century Ash. Without instruction, she had all the local dogs, and even some of the cats, doing her bidding.

Her abilities grew until, one day, she could make her parents do almost anything she wanted. 'Could she stay out late Saturday night?' Yes. 'Would they write her a sick note so she could skip school and go swimming in the creek?' Yes. 'Would they buy her that dress for the dance they really couldn't afford?' Yes. Yes. Yes.

She had to live with the consequences of course. Three months of baloney sandwiches and beans for supper while her folks paid for the dress. Failing, and having to attend summer school after too many skipped classes. Having the car on Saturday nights, however, made it all worthwhile.

Still, it was wrong, manipulating her parents like that. No sooner had Helene promised herself to leave them alone when she started to influence others who restricted her teen existence. She subconsciously charmed teachers into giving her A's, even the Phys. ed. teacher who intended to fail her for refusing to wear uniform shorts.